• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Why update Recovery?

breadnatty08

pain rustique
Nov 8, 2009
I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but if it has please flame me :eek:
Anyway, I'm still using SPRecovery 99.1 (I believe), and I know that more current renditions are available, but is it worth the effort. The "other" site says that .3 is compatible with Sholes, but since I'm running Beast 7.6, is there any reason to update?

You don't need the latest recovery to install update.zips or nandroid backups.

What 99.2b and up do is allow for the .tgz installs, which are much more capable than update.zips and nandroid.

This is the format that Sholes' ROMs use, and it allows for the user to select many options in the installation process.

So, is it worth the 10 seconds it takes to flash the new image? IMO it is. But it's up to you.

Upvote 0
Thanks Fab, I haven't made the effort thus far since going into one of the older BBs, but I'll go ahead with the newest image when I have time.
What do you mean by .tgz installs? Thus far I've only been using update.zip and nandroid. Is there something superior by using the former? And if so, are ROM devs using them?

Upvote 0
Yeah, .tgz is a bit more complicated, so not too many devs use it. Primarily Sholes.info team does.

It's superior to the other formats because it lets you choose which aspects of the ROM you want to install.

So say you were installing Sholes 2.0.5, you have the choice of what skin you want, which music player you want, whether to include wifi tether, openvpn, dropbear, etc.

It's just a much better format overall, and probably, eventually, most devs will move to it.

Upvote 0
I agree with the previous posts. Having control over what you are loading is priceless. When using an update.zip it is a good idea to look through the file before installing to see just what is being loading on your phone. I had Pandora, an alternate music player, and home screen replacement installed that I didn't need. As these were loading as root apps, I used root manager to remove them but now I remove them before hand from the update zip file. One update loaded an older version of Pure Music Widget and until I figured it out went through hell trying to update the version I paid for. A little diligence goes a long way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones