• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why you won't exchange your Inc to get an X

I am curious to know why current Incredible owners won't exchange or simply buy a Droid X to replace their Incs.
In my case.. after trying the dummy model in the store.. I wasn't too impressed. I did not quite like the design on the back.. and I am not too thrilled about the hard plastic buttons on the front. The capacitor type is much better in my opinion. The X seemed too big.. but was still manageable.. and it's heavier than the Inc. Screen is NOT going to be as pretty as the AMOLED on the inc.. and also Sense is much better than MOTOblur.

What are your opinions on why you won't jump the ship?

I won't jump ship because of Moto Blur (or any version of it), Motorola, and it is too big. Definitely overkill on the screen size. While the 3.7 in screen could be a little wider on the INC, its just right. Plus I just got the INC not more than 2 months ago.. Its still awesome. I'm also holding my breath for 2.2. Plus, I think I'm one of the few that is holding out hope for Gingerbread as the INC specs fit the requirements.

Upvote 0
Why?

Because I am a mature adult whose self worth is not determined by consumer decisions but in real relationships and accomplishments. I am stunned again and again by the emotional attachment and response that gadget purchases generate.

You didn't invent it, engineer it or build it. You simply purchased it.

Easy on putting a philosophical spin on this buddy. We are not idiots to hold our self worth with the kind of phone we posses.. We are just techno aficionados and get immense pleasure in talking about techie stuffs and being on the cutting edge of things :).

Upvote 0
Well, admittedly, I'll most likely be switching... but I don't see any reason for anyone to switch over if they already own an Incredible AND ISN'T eligible for an upgrade. Both are great phones and I think it really comes down to physical characteristics. I think the larger size of the X will do me good and it helps that I'll actually be making money after making the switch. I would prefer not to see comparisons of these two phones in terms of which one is better, bottom line. I think a better comparison would be to see which phone is better for the individual. Sleeker/smaller vs bigger. Almost like a control pad for a gaming console... everyone has their own size, sensitivity, ergonomics, etc preference.

What is apparent though: WE VZW Droiders are definitely spoiled with GOOD choices now. No matter which phone we go with, I don't think you can really go wrong.

Reactions: 10splaya22 and jroc
Upvote 0
Why?

Because I am a mature adult whose self worth is not determined by consumer decisions but in real relationships and accomplishments. I am stunned again and again by the emotional attachment and response that gadget purchases generate.

You didn't invent it, engineer it or build it. You simply purchased it.

So I suppose nothing you've ever bought has made you feel better? That's too bad for you. I have friends too and enjoy my accomplishments very much. However, I also love the feeling of getting new stuff. Why? Because it was through my accomplishments that I was able to afford them. I went to school, got a great job, and made enough money to buy things like a car, a house, and yes, even a smartphone. So excuse any of us that get a little attached or covet things that we desire. To some, it's a reward for the things we've accomplished in life. The fact that many of these gadgets are also designed to make our lives a little easier also brings us joy. Frankly, I think I'm more stunned that you don't realize this.

Reactions: JayDH826
Upvote 0
Well, admittedly, I'll most likely be switching... but I don't see any reason for anyone to switch over if they already own an Incredible AND ISN'T eligible for an upgrade. Both are great phones and I think it really comes down to physical characteristics. I think the larger size of the X will do me good and it helps that I'll actually be making money after making the switch. I would prefer not to see comparisons of these two phones in terms of which one is better, bottom line. I think a better comparison would be to see which phone is better for the individual. Sleeker/smaller vs bigger. Almost like a control pad for a gaming console... everyone has their own size, sensitivity, ergonomics, etc preference.

What is apparent though: WE VZW Droiders are definitely spoiled with GOOD choices now. No matter which phone we go with, I don't think you can really go wrong.

OMG!!!
The voice of reason!!! :D:D:D
All of us would do well to read this post a couple of times and let it sink in!!! :cool:

Reactions: gorenut
Upvote 0

Best. Response. Ever.

I agree that the "better" phone between these two is going to simply be a matter of preference. There is just not enough difference spec wise to say conclusively that one is better over the other. They BOTH have pro's and con's.

Upvote 0
If you keep chasing after the next great phone you will be buying a new phone every month or two. I think this especially pointless when LTE phones are on the horizon. Unless something goes wrong with my Incredible my next phone will be a 4G phone.

I was talking about exchanges.. (applicable to people whose Inc orders are processing.. or for those who are within their 30 day return period).. I don't intend to talk about people ditching their Incs completely and paying money to buy the X. (people would be either crazy or filthy rich to do that!).

Upvote 0
not a fan of motorola at all, not a fan of their first droid that came out, and I like sense UI more than their Blur UI. I feel it's too convoluted and too based around friends and connections. I"m not interested in that kind of stuff. I just want to have a contact name and text it or call it. I've shut off all auto-sync and facebook stream settings in the D-Inc, and to be honest, i think the phone is too big, and at the very least, i know the battery will not be able to handle that display more than 4 hours probably. If the 1300mah D-Inc battery is having problems with the D-Inc display, imagine the same battery with a 4.3 inch display, unless the X comes with a 1500mah, or 1700mah, the battery will be a problem on that phone as well.

Upvote 0
I think this article disagrees and they've actually seen all the screens in action. It's pretty clear to me that they think the droid x has the better screen. In fact, aside from contrast ratio (which is light years better on the incredible), the incredible came in dead last in every category.

Is The iPhone 4's LCD the Best? | PCMag.com

I'm not saying the incredible doesn't have its advantages, but a better screen doesn't seem to be one of them.

The dinc won 2/4 categories so I think the screen racks up pretty well.

i do like the moto's build quality. my wife has the droid and the build is just much better than the dinc. all metal..build is just saying this is quality shiyet. the Dx is the same as reviews so far say the build is excellent. i like that metal feel.

my main reason for not switching is cuz my wife will be getting it. lol...and now that we will have 720p soon. i'm happy.

Upvote 0
not a fan of motorola at all, not a fan of their first droid that came out, and I like sense UI more than their Blur UI. I feel it's too convoluted and too based around friends and connections. I"m not interested in that kind of stuff. I just want to have a contact name and text it or call it. I've shut off all auto-sync and facebook stream settings in the D-Inc, and to be honest, i think the phone is too big, and at the very least, i know the battery will not be able to handle that display more than 4 hours probably. If the 1300mah D-Inc battery is having problems with the D-Inc display, imagine the same battery with a 4.3 inch display, unless the X comes with a 1500mah, or 1700mah, the battery will be a problem on that phone as well.

The droid x comes with a 1540mAh battery. Every review I've read of the phonehas praised the excellent battery life.

Upvote 0

It's not apples to apples.. battery life also has to do with how the processor works.. the TI processor in the Droid X is proven to be more efficient than snapdragon.

Upvote 0
1. TOO BIG, yes it is sorta nice but is slightly wider and longer then the EVO which was pushing my one handed typing skills. it is slimmer than the EVO but note in a comfortable way.

2. Hard touch Buttons look cheap and feel cheap on the display model that a verizon employee let me play with the other day. I will keep my capacitive buttons although I did like the EVO's buttons alittle better. The X does have one big redeeming factor to its buttons and it is the insta camera button.

3. Until Froyo *2.2 (Frozen Yogurt, whatever and etc..) the 8GB NAND gives me alot more app space then both Droid X and EVO.

4. Speed the INC just feels sleeker in its usage with exceptions to the dialer which I have swapped for something else. In the world of anDroid the phrase there is an app for that has never been truer.

5. 8GB internal memory plus the microSD which means two things for now and later 1) NOW you have alot more app space and 2) Later you can have more total memory then the Droids or the EVO as 8+XX will always be more then XX+0.

The EVO was returned by the way to keep the INcredible as I got both and planned to keep the better phone. They were both great phones but in the end the incredible had better overall user experience which was a tough win considering the EVO is definitely amazing in the screen department.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones