• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Widget/App For Expanding Notifications Area

larrytxeast

Nov 3, 2011
I have an LG Optimus F3. I don't like "dragging" the notifications area to "expand it," I like how Android 2.2 or 2.3 let you hit menu and select "notifications." With Android 4.x phones, I used Holo Launcher HD as a home screen launcher replacement and it had "launcher actions" you could add as icons that included, among others, showing notifications and also showing recent apps.

I am now trying out Zeam Launcher instead of Holo Launcher HD as it's very lightweight and "minimalist," so far I like it, but I see no way to add "launcher actions" as icons to replicate expanding the notifications area and/or showing recent apps. I figured there would be apps or widgets I could download that would do this, but I've honestly done a search & can't a thing, but there HAS to be, as I've seen widgets for turning off a screen (I use one), turning data off/on, etc, so there HAS to be ones for expanding the notifications area and showing recent apps.

Tips?

As far as expanding the notification panel:

1 - Nova launcher can do this. If you dont' want new launcher, then...

2 - Tasker can do this (expand notification area). It's a one-action task. Create a shortcut to the task on your desktop. You can do a heckuva lot more with Tasker. I heartily recommend it. Small cost, a little learning curve but well worth it. If you don't want to mess around with that then...

3 - I created an app using Tasker in about two minutes, apk attached. You can download it and install it if you like. (requires to enable installation from unknown sources). After you install it, put a shortcut to this app on your desktop. Click the shortcut to expand. As always, don't install apk if it requests dangerous permissions and you don't trust the source of the app. As far as I can tell, this apk doesn't request any permissions.

Nova can also show recent apps. I'm not sure if Tasker can do anything with recent apps

Attachments

• xpandnot.2.apk
    1 MB · Views: 87
Upvote 0
{snip}

3 - I created an app using Tasker in about two minutes, apk attached. You can download it and install it if you like. (requires to enable installation from unknown sources). After you install it, put a shortcut to this app on your desktop. Click the shortcut to expand. As always, don't install apk if it requests dangerous permissions and you don't trust the source of the app. As far as I can tell, this apk doesn't request any permissions.

Nova can also show recent apps. I'm not sure if Tasker can do anything with recent apps

I appreciate it very much. I installed it, and it works great. Thank you very much.

Also, for recent apps, there was an app for that, called "Recent Apps Quick Button" (Factory Widgets) and it works fine for that. I'm not crazy about its icon (it's not 2 overlapping squares), but it gets the job done just as well. I have it in the same spot as I used to have the "launcher action" recent apps icon with Holo Launcher HD (just above the notifications app, bottom right).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones