• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WidgetLocker - Awesome App imo

gmanvbva

Jan 15, 2010
Reactions: delenda and pokerjv
Very cool app. Helps with my issue of my preferred music player not having a lockscreen presence like the stock player. I put the player widget and the large chompSMS widget on the lock screen :) My only problem is I hate the icon always being in the notification bar.
Check the advanced settings. You can remove the icon from the notification bar

Reactions: jrstinkfish
Upvote 0
I thought it was cool until I realized it actually isn't locked. You can still drag down the top bar and hit something to open it. Then if you back out you are on your home screen. I need a locker that will not let you do all of these things as that is when things get opened by accident and phone calls are made in your pocket.

Upvote 0
I thought it was cool until I realized it actually isn't locked. You can still drag down the top bar and hit something to open it. Then if you back out you are on your home screen. I need a locker that will not let you do all of these things as that is when things get opened by accident and phone calls are made in your pocket.

I think you can control most (if not all?) of that interaction with the advanced settings?

I know you can hide the notifications bar, make the whole thing non-interactive, etc.

Edit: and the sliders can still be interactive (while the widgets/programs are not) if you like.

Upvote 0
So what's the difference in using this or just disabling your sliding lock screen? With it disabled, it just goes to a home page where you can have all those widgets anyway...
Well, speaking for myself, the widgets I have on this lock screen, I don't want on my home screen. I want it for things that I want immediate access to, like the MP3 player or text messages. My home screen contains the HTC clock widget, small calendar widget, and 4 app shortcuts.

Upvote 0
So what's the difference in using this or just disabling your sliding lock screen? With it disabled, it just goes to a home page where you can have all those widgets anyway...

The big difference is that when you disable the slide-to-unlock screen you also disable the lock pattern. With this app, you can:

1. Keep the ability to use the lock pattern (but if you are not careful you can create a back door bypass by accident).

2. Wake your phone with the volume key

Upvote 0

If you disable the lock screen, if a call comes in, it's very easy to answer or reject it accidentally.

I've been using widgetlocker for about a week now and really have a had no problems with it.

Right now, I just have a clock and battery meter on it. I'm not really using it for widgets on the lock screen at the moment.

The feature I'm really using it for is the ability to unlock the phone using the physical back button on my X.

By default, the X wakes the phone when you hit home, so to wake and unlock, all I need to do is hit home, then back. For me, it's much easier than home, then slider or power button then slider.

Upvote 0

Sure but I don't have to slide it to disable the lock screen to access things that I might need frequently (and quickly)... I also do not need to waste real estate on my primary homescreens for things I can place on the lock screen (like my example of the flashlight widget or camera).

Upvote 0
For me it's perfect for making the phone an mp3 player. I like being able to just turn the screen on and pause my music so quickly. I got rid of the sliders and now have a 4x4 of my music player and a 4x1 of Pandora so my most used music apps are right there without having to even unlock the screen. If I wanted to I can use smaller widgets and then add my calendar app so I can see my current day's appointments.

I have a pattern unlock that comes on after pressing the back button or clicking on either of the widgets to actually go into the applications and the taskbar does not slide down so I don't have any security holes. (Maybe the taskbar pulldown is a change in the settings or it was updated and doesn't allow it anymore or something, because I don't have that issue).

This is probably one of my most important apps.

Upvote 0
When installing, why does it say it wants access to make phone calls? I have not installed yet because of this.

Some people put shortcuts to direct dial on the lockscreen or in a custom slider and WidgetLocker needs this permission so such shortcuts work.
It will not make any calls if you don't use Direct Dial shortcuts.

I'm happy to answer any other questions.

-Kevin
(dev of WidgetLocker)

Upvote 0
Installed this and I like it but one issue I have is when I get a notification from Handscent I cant reply . The pop up from Handscent shows up ( text message) but I hit reply and it does nothing. I have to exit the notification and go into handscent. Anyone else notice this ??

For now, Handcent setting of Auto-enable on-screen keyboard seems to work. It also seems that Froyo fixes this issue.

Upvote 0
so I've poked around in the menus and googled and I can't seem to find the resolution to my two big issues. I apologize if I have missed something.

1) It appears that widgetlocker has disabled any sort of lock pattern or number code that I had enabled on my default lockscreen. This is obviously a big security issue.

2) On the lockscreen (not tool screen) if I hit the physical menu button, up pops the settings menu, the add app and add widget menus, etc. This completely defeats the purpose of the secure lockscreen.

If these two issues can't be resolved I'm gonna have to ditch this otherwise very promising app.

Upvote 0
so I've poked around in the menus and googled and I can't seem to find the resolution to my two big issues. I apologize if I have missed something.

1) It appears that widgetlocker has disabled any sort of lock pattern or number code that I had enabled on my default lockscreen. This is obviously a big security issue.

Especially if your cheating on your wife!

Upvote 0

WidgetLocker does nothing of the sort. Could it be the Sense setting added in 2.2 to delay the security lock? Try changing
System Settings > Security > Lock phone after
To Immediately to get the Android 2.1 behavior. (The delay will work fine with WidgetLocker too, just you'll have to wait the 3 minutes or whatever as expected).

2) On the lockscreen (not tool screen) if I hit the physical menu button, up pops the settings menu, the add app and add widget menus, etc. This completely defeats the purpose of the secure lockscreen.
Disable
WidgetLocker Settings > Buttons & Inputs > Allow Menu Button

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones