• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi and 3G

I just received my new Droid X yesterday and so far I'm loving it!

I discovered that there are problems with WiFi on many Droid X's and it mostly stems from what type of encryption is being used on the router. My Linksys router was set up with WPA2 Personal with AES encryption. I found out that by changing it to TKIP could alleviate the problem so that's what I did. Now WiFi seems to work just fine. The only thing that bothers me is that whenever WiFi is enabled, it doesn't seem to disable my 3G connection. All of the data is going through the WiFi connection but the 3G icon stays on the notification bar not doing anything.

I thought 3G was supposed to be disabled when connected to a WiFi hotspot?

Did the Droid X crash your wifi network? I posted a thread a few minutes ago in this forum. The DX definitely crashes my linksys router (I had to take all security settings off the router to get it to work) and I'm not sure if it's just wifi or a combo if wifi and gps on at the same time which causes the network to completely crash.

Upvote 0
Hmm well now it's working properly. It wasn't getting rid of the 3G icon. I restarted the phone and now it seems to be working. oh well. thanks!

EDIT: No it doesn't crash my network as far as I know. I have a Linksys WRT54GS running DD-WRT with WPA2 Personal + TKIP encryption. I changed it from AES to TKIP to fix the problem with it not connecting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones