1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support WiFi and Data Preferences

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jabbawest, Apr 2, 2011.

1. jabbawest

jabbawest Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Male
    Level III Support Dallas County
    Fountain of Lamneth
    On my Blackberry 8320 I had preferences for when to use WiFi versus when to use data. The Optimus M has no such options and tries to do it intuitively but, given the poor data performance on the Metro PCS network, I'd like to ask the following.
    I think I know the answer but I'd like confirmation.
    If I leave WiFi set to Never Off, I'm assuming data will crank up when there is no WiFi available, yes?
    My main reason for asking this is because I like to stream radio or scanner audio via WiFi when I'm at home and listen to it through my headset when I'm up late.
    If I have WiFi set to turn off when the screen goes dark, data cranks up and the streaming audio either quits or is constantly buffering as the data drops and picks back up again.

TIA,
    Stephen

Advertisement

2. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist
    None

Jan 20, 2011
    Male
    Prototype Precision Machinist
    Tri-Cities, Michigan
    I had the same problem. I like to stream music. Try a widget caller wifi keep alive. You can set it to keep wifi on always, always but only when charging then normal behavior. Best app for the situation

reilus likes this.
  3. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Android Expert
    None

The WiFi never off option is for the screen saving option only. If your screen goes dark, the WiFi won't turn off. This is useful if you let your screen idle while you listen. Your phone will still, of course, return to data if you have no WiFi signal.

Another trick is to go into Settings -> Application -> Development and turn on Stay Awake. This will keep your screen from shutting off if you have the phone plugged in. This is good if you're charging while you listen at night. The screen will still dim, but not shut off completely.

4. reilus

reilus Android Enthusiast
    None

You can use a program called "screen filter" to dim the screen even more and then it will dim further. I use that when I need to see in the dark, when I want to save battery, or when I want the screen to stay on.

5. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Android Expert
    None

Eh I get by using all stock means. I keep android's power setting widget on one of my home screens allowing me to toggle quickly between 0, 5 and 10 brightness. All I do is toggle the brightness to 0 then activate the clock and hit the dimmer button on that screen so it goes darker.

Tags: