• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wifi AP Connection Issues

modhatter6811

Android Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2013
Outer Space
So, I have this problem with WiFi connection... In my Apt. building there are multiple unsecured WiFi signals, all of them have the exact same SSID, "xfinitywifi". Now as some of you might know, if your neighbor has xfinity, they auto broadcast as a free hotspot giving anyone who wants it, 2hrs of free WiFi per month. I rather enjoy having some free high speed WiFi every month. The problem is, the closest router to me (therefore the strongest signal), has no internet access, yet it is still broadcasting because my neighbor left it on after having his internet disconnected and went on vacation for the next year, so I can't ask him to turn it off. If I try to connect to other AP's (also named "xfinitywifi") my phone tries to connect to his dead router that's still broadcasting, every time! So, I downloaded an app (WiFi Analyzer), that let's me separate the WiFi signals with the same SSID's. With the app and an add-on for it, I can choose to connect to a different signal even if it has the same name as others, however, when I try to, it auto defaults to the dead xfinity signal. So, no WiFi still. Does anyone know of any way to change this behavior? I want it to only connect to the SSID that I specify, not which ever one happens to have the strongest signal. Any ideas? App suggestions? Is there a system file I can edit to correct this? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

WiFi connection manager did not work unfortunately. When I pull up a working "xfinitywifi" signal, it will display its correct Mac address, it will even allow me to bind it, however, as soon as it tries to connect, it still defaults to the strongest "xfinitywifi" which is my neighbors dead router. If try to disable just his network from the list, it mistakenly disables all networks with that same name. There must be a system file that controls this behavior... Why have a phone distinguish networks based only on its SSID? Pretty stupid in my opinion. Laptops and PC's don't have this issue, even iphones don't to my knowledge, and they're way behind most androids as far as features go. The hunt continues... If anyone has any other potential solutions, I'd love to try them out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones