• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wifi at home usually a bust (elsewhere ok)

Posting in this general forum as there's no forum for my specific (Canadian) Samsung Galaxy 550 phone. I only connect on Wifi @ home with great difficulty & lots of fiddling around while elsewhere at internet cafes etc. it's all fine. I'm in an apartment & Wifi Analyzer often tells me there are a lot of wifi signals reaching the phone, sometimes crowding my channel. I'm set for the optimum channel avail.

I never had difficulties connecting to my home wifi on a different device, just this Samsung phone. I have no data plan & wifi's my only connection so the lack of reliable connection @ home is a big pain.

PS from time to time my home PC has given msgs about conflict there being an IP address conflict from another device, but that's only once in a while. I've tried stopping network connection on the PC, turning off my home entertainment unit, radio & any other devices I can control, usually to no avail. The wifi connects succesfully sometimes but keeps losing it and with certain more sensitive apps I just can't download things.

Welcome to the forums!

Try powering down your home wifi router for a few minutes.

Sometimes, things can get tangled trying to manage on a crowded spectrum, and a power-off for a little bit to clear memory can really help.

Failing that - try setting your phone (under wireless settings - look for a menu option for this) to a static IP address. Choose a high value, like 192.168.0.200 (and I'm assuming the common subnet address of 192.168.0 - but that's not sacred and yours may be different).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones