• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi Awake time

jayochs

Android Enthusiast
May 14, 2010
Brick, NJ
so i brought this up in a post a while ago and i can't remember which, but basically when i turn wifi on, it makes my phone have 100% awake time. now, people were like, "no that's wrong, i don't get 100% awake time and mines set to never sleep, blah blah" so i was getting frustrated with my phone. even after rooting, it still does it. here's some shots

ka688l.jpg

zv2bnk.jpg

now, do the math here. if i didn't have wifi on, my awake time would be around 15-20% for these 14 hours, even at the high usage i had today. notice, i set it to turn off after 15 minutes, so that's why the active time isn't the same as the time being on. what's up with this? i'm reading (via google) that many people DON'T have this problem, while a small amount do. i understand if wifi is on, and it's keeping the phone AWAKE, then clearly it's draining battery. any thoughts?

Uhhh... I may be wrong, but what I see is your WiFi has been on for 65.9% of the 14h 37m 6s your phone's been unplugged, meaning your WiFi has been on for about 9 1/2 hours. In that 9 1/2 hours wifi used 15% of the total battery drain. That doesn't seem strange to me, especially if your connect to a WiFi network and not 3g for a good part of that 14h.

Upvote 0
okay, good call. just making sure here.

today, my wifi is on 100% of the time. 78% awake up, 3 hours 52 minutes, while unplugged for 4 hours 58 minutes. wifi using 22% of the battery. so this is ok still? the only reason it's not around 90% awake time is because i have it set to turn off at the 15 minutes. i remember seeing someone elses screen on here where the wifi was on all day, for like 14 hours, but their awake time was like 15%.

Upvote 0
in general, those percentages can vary greatly from day to day depending how you use your phone on that particular day. Some days my wi-fi will be at 60 or 70% and others only around 20%. As long as your aren't suddenly seeing your phone's battery not be able to last about the same amount of time. On average it seems most people lose about 1% to 2% of battery an hour when not using it, so if you are losing significantly more than that, you may be having a problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones