• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi calling using my number!?

kingjavs

Oct 21, 2012
Hello peeps,

I get poor to no reception in my house(I live in the basement, 400ft from an airport)

I want to know if there is a way to call people, or receive calls my current number.
I know google voice lets me do that for $20. I really dont want to pay that much. Is there a free app to do this?

If there isnt, is there an app that lets me make/receive calls for free through wifi?

I know textfree lets me do like 3 or 4 before it starts charging for minutes. I can receive unlimited calls, but I cant make any.

Thanks for the responses :)

Skype I'm pretty sure lets you make calls over WiFi for like $3/mo. There is a number of other apps in the Play store that look like they may be a solution for you.

If I was you though I'd either pay the $20 to port your number to Google Voice (although be careful not trigger a cancellation/ETF from AT&T) and use GrooveIP to make/take calls over Wifi or just have Google Voice assign you a number for free, use GrooveIP, and train people to use your new number.

Upvote 0
GrooVe IP . There is also a free version that doesn't support the proximity sensor and misses out on a few other advantages. You can even use GrooVe Forwarder to automatcially forward incoming calls to the GrooVe IP app when you're on WiFi. You'll have to have a Google Voice number though. On AT&T, you'll have to port your number, or you'll have to get a separate Google Voice number. If you get a separate Google Voice number, the entire thing can be accomplished for free.

Upvote 0
The simplest thing to do would be to get a micro-cell for your house. It plugs into your internet and works as a tiny cell tower. I know some people have successfully gotten them for free by complaining about the cell service in their house. Otherwise I think they go for around $100.

Here's a link to the AT&T Model:
AT&T 3G MicroCell - Wireless Signal Booster - Wireless from AT&T

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones