• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi Connected, no internet.

saltybob09

Lurker
Sep 28, 2016
I am having a hell of a time here and I really need some help before my wall gets a dent :-/

I have a Galaxy S6, last night I noticed that I was not online -- In my apartment I have really bad cell service, pretty much a dead zone so therefore I do all my browsing/texting/etc over wifi. My device is connecting to the wifi, just like normal except nothing comes through.

I am connecting through a DLink DIR-822 router. This router broadcast's three "networks" a 5ghz band, a 2.4ghz band, and a guest network on a 2.4ghz band.

My device automatically connects to the 5ghz band. I also have two chrome casts, a tablet, and smart TV connected wirelessly. Two PC`s that connect wired.

No issues on the PC`s. No issues on the smart TV... the tablet appears to be having the same trouble. I cannot test the chromecasts because the phone & tablet cannot connect to the internet.

My phone will see and connect to all three aforementioned SSID`s (5ghz, 2.4ghz, guest). It can only browse on the guest connection - the other two its as if there is no internet. However on the other bands it can see the chromecast devices that are turned on, as well as navigate to the router`s page. Nothing outside the home network.

I have:
Restarted the S6 and the Tablet. Nothing.
Cleared cache and cookies. Nothing.
Forgot networks, restarted, reentered credentials. Nothing.
Powercycle Router. Nothing.
Reset Network Settings. Nothing.
Forget Network. Connect with WPS. Nothing.
Change DNS setting to static.
Ensured correct time on router. Nothing.
Changed encryption type on router. Nothing.

The only thing that has consistently "worked" is connecting to the guest network

I have no idea if its the router, the android devices, or what. I am at a loss. I am hesitant to do any factory resets before I try everything else.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronnda Shire
You've got a pretty interesting mix of devices that are and are not getting Internet access. My first thoughts jumped to the typical troubles a cheapo router creates but your DLink DIR-822 is a pretty decent unit. Still, it does seem like a likely cause considering it's role in your home LAN. In the list of things you've tried you refer to resetting Network Settings. Is that pertaining to restoring your router to its defaults and then re-configuring it? Try simpler SSID naming and passwords, and then work up from there.
You might also want to just power everything network related off (all at the same time, not just individually), let things sit for a few minutes, and then power everything back up (don't forget to include your cable or DSL modem). If things are still messed up, try temporarily disabling or disconnecting various devices one at a time to see it that has any affect. Can you think back to anything at all that happened right before your phone and tablet started having their problems. Anything?

Upvote 0
Hi svim, thanks for the reply.

I did read it this morning when I headed out to work, I unplugged the modem, the router, turned off all network connected devices (2 pcs, 2 chrome casts, 1 smart tv, tablet) and I brought my phone with me to work. I have a pretty late night tonight but will power everything back up once I return home.

Just to test, I did try out my phone on the work wifi (airplane mode, only wifi on just to be sure) and it did work... I guess that eliminates it being on my phone end.

You asked about resetting network settings -- this was an option on the phone and tablet where I assume it wipes out all the network settings from various networks one connects to allowing you to reconnect to a network as if it was the first time. I have not done a factory reset on the router or any of the devices.

If the resets did not make a difference, I will attempt to change SSID's and passwords on the router, bring it down to one broadcast and proceed from there. -- I will follow up with this later.

Trying to think of any changes that could have occurred between monday night, and tuesday evening and there isnt anything.. that I changed.. I do live alone so no one could have changed things. There may have been a power outage, as it does happen frequently in my area but all my devices are protected by surge bars - I know power can be quite a tricky thing with these things...

Thanks again for the reply, I will follow up soon.

Upvote 0
You asked about resetting network settings -- this was an option on the phone and tablet where I assume it wipes out all the network settings from various networks one connects to allowing you to reconnect to a network as if it was the first time. I have not done a factory reset on the router or any of the devices.
Taking into consideration what you've described, I'd take a serious look at your router configuration. It's a nice choice for a home LAN so I'm guessing there's just some setting buried in the set up menus that's screwing things up. The problem is diagnosing just what it is. Have you applied any firmware updates lately? There are firmware updates shown here from earlier this year. Even if it has nothing to do with your problem it's a good idea to keep your router current anyway just because of security issues.
http://support.dlink.ca/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DIR-822
You can try going through all the menu options to weed out what might be the source of your problem but you also might want to just do a reset on your router and re-configure it from scratch. It's really an odd problem where some of your devices have full access to your home LAN and the Internet but only two have access to your LAN but no Internet. There's a reset pinhole on the bottom of your router close to the power plug port, stick in a paper clip and hold it for a few seconds. (See pg 5 in the User Manual.)
ftp://ftp.dlink.ca/PRODUCTS/DIR-822/DIR-822_REVC_MANUAL_3.00_EN.PDF
... and just as a side note for future reference in case your router should ever become a problem resetting itself, this 30-30-30 reset method might be useful:
http://compnetworking.about.com/b/2009/03/11/the-30-30-30-hard-reset-rule-for-routers.htm
This is lengthy but might help as far as configuration tips:
http://lifehacker.com/5833254/know-your-network-the-complete-guide
You mentioned earlier about setting your DNS to static. As both your phone and tablet have issues with Internet access that might be a likely possibility. This didn't seem to fix things for you but you didn't mention just which DNS addresses you used. There is the remote possibility that the alternative DNS you used weren't any better than the ISP supplied ones you had previously. There a numerous public DNS addresses but if you want to find the optimum for your specific location try using either Steve Gibson's DNS Benchmark or Google's DNS NameBench.
https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm
https://code.google.com/archive/p/namebench/
A lot of people automatically rattle off Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 public DNS but you should really do a scan and see what DNS addresses are the fastest in your locale. It's not that Google's public DNS won't work out for you, it's just that there could be several other better alternatives available.

Upvote 0
Ok, next set of checking. In order of appearance:

After a day with no power, powered everything back up. No changes.
  • Turned off guest mode, 5ghz, and 2.4ghz broadcasts, set only 2.4 broadcast on and changed SSID/PW. No Change.
  • Checked firmware, stated 3.0 auto update did not find upgrade - upgrade date of Dec 2015. Manually downloaded newer firmware for my hardware version April 2016. Upgraded. Tested - No Change.
  • Factory Reset Router, set SSID/PW settings Online!
  • Set settings for port forwarding, reserve IP and change default LAN IP Address from 192.168.0.1 to a custom one - Same Issue.
  • Reverted above settings to default - Same issue *note* when the router was restarting, after the IP was reverted back, my phone went to a website it was trying to retrieve.. after the router completely came back up the same issue persisted.
  • Factory Reset Router set SSID/PW settings -Same issue (whattttt?)
  • Set new SSID/PW - Can browse.
  • Connected tablet to new SSID - cannot browse. Phone is browsing.
  • Phone stopped browsing shortly after last entry.
I really dont know WTF... I have to head to bed now tho, work in the AM. -- Thanks again for your help!

Clarification on DNS server... I used the wrong term, IP address. I reserve IP addresses through the router so when that device connects back into the network, it always has the same IP.

Upvote 0
I got home tonight, again verified that my phone is working on other networks.

When I first connected to my home network, I able to do a google search, click a link, and load a page (Air Plane Mode on, WiFi on) and this worked. I opened a second tab in the browser and attempted to open "yahoo.com" - just timing out like before, after a long period of course. The facebook app appears to be connecting (i dont know if this is cache info from when I am actually connected but I can click on links etc), gas buddy is not connecting, the same for netflix, PlayStore and other various apps.

Again, if I connect to the "guest" section of my wifi - everything works normally, however I am outside of my network.

Is there some way to test, through an app etc, my network connection on the phone? It really feels as if *something* is firewalling it when it connects to the specific network -- which could make sense for the tablet as well as they use synced accounts? Possible?

Trying to rule this out, I did restart my phone in safemode... still no internet... I guess its not an app on the phone...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones