• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WIFI disconnect while sleeping

Solangeburgas

May 19, 2016
S7 Edge Neverlocked.
I have WIFI settings set to always on but the phone disconnect from WIFi after about 15 min after goes to sleep. Like the settings would be "while charging"
I have this phone for about one year and this WIFI problem was not present until few weeks ago ( maybe update time ? :)
I try reset all network settings, set the WIFI for DHCP or static... toggle between "while charging" "always on" and "never" . forget network and log again... no result. Router has 2.4 and 5 ghz bands. I try on both, disconnect either band i use.I also reboot phone and clear cache
Is not about my router, various other phones (including another one S7) stay connected and this one stay connected as well for months. No changes done on router or phone settings, no new app downloaded...
Other settings i miss or a new bug ?
Any help appreciated, thx

Meanwhile i found an app like WIFI Keep Alive and look like with this app the phone stays connected. But i dont like this workaround, look like stupid to me to have an app doing what phone should do,

Last edited:
Are you using a Samsung mobile? If so, scroll  down the status bar,touch and hold the wifi button,select options and select keep Wifi on during sleep. If you're using any​ other do the same steps and choose advanced option when you see it and select keep Wifi on during sleep. Presto! Done!
If your problem has not been solved yet then let me know we could try for something else. If it works post it. If someone's facing the same problem he/she can follow the instructions given above.

Upvote 0
Sure not working, i already mentioned i have a S7 Edge and keep WIIF always is selected.... Screenshot_20170610-133716.png

Upvote 0
Have you tried connecting to another router? Does the same problem take place with any other device connecting to the same router? Does problem occur when connect to any AP?
You say that this problem started occuring only a few weeks ago. Try remembering what you must have done. Probably you tried an app that saves your battery by reducing the number of apps in the background or disabling the Wi-Fi frequently.

Upvote 0
Not tried on another router, i will when ill have the chance. But on my router there are several mobile connected (including an S7) which stays connected, Also this phone stay connected for several months on this router, suddendly (maybe after update) begin to discconect.
I have no app for battery saving. And i never try this kind of app. Also power saving mode is set to offl
Yep, begin to disconnect several week ago, without any modification on phone settings or router.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, is the first time hearing about safe mode. How i enter my phone to safe mode ? Thx for reply

Later edit
Meanwhile i found this about safe mode, i will try this and post my results. Thx again

Turn on and use safe mode
Safe mode allows you to turn on the device with third-party apps disabled. Then you can easily unistall apps that may be causing a conflict or software problem.

1. Turn the device off.
  2. Press and hold the Power key past the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge screen.
  3. When "SAMSUNG" appears on the screen, release the Power key.
  4. Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
  5. Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
  6. Safe mode will display in the bottom left corner of the screen.
  7. Release the Volume down key when you see Safe Mode.
  8. Uninstall apps that are causing a problem.

Turn off safe mode
  1. Press and hold the Power key.
  2. Tap Restart.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I did perform this test. Phone confirmed is in safe mode by labeling this in left lower corner and third party app was not started, missing from home screen. But i dont find anything new... the same, after 10-15 min after phone goes to sleep the wifi disconnects. When i wake up the phone WIFI is connecting again immediately. I did this test twice.

Upvote 0
Hi

I've been having this extremely annoying condition too, since the last software update.

I came to the conclusion that it was some kind of aggressive power management setting that was putting all kinds of apps to sleep.

Today.... I think I might have found a solution... I say might, as it's only been a few hours..

So I've done is this..

Go to settings.

Search for "Battery"

Click on the three menu dots in the top right hand corner.

Click on "Advanced Settings"

Turn off "App Power Monitor"

So far, so good.

My WiFi stays connected and the 2 VoIP apps and Text-to-voice app are alive and well.

Curiously, my battery drain doesn't seem affected.

I'd be interested to know if this solution works for other people.

Good luck.

S7 Edge Neverlocked.
I have WIFI settings set to always on but the phone disconnect from WIFi after about 15 min after goes to sleep. Like the settings would be "while charging"
I have this phone for about one year and this WIFI problem was not present until few weeks ago ( maybe update time ? :)
I try reset all network settings, set the WIFI for DHCP or static... toggle between "while charging" "always on" and "never" . forget network and log again... no result. Router has 2.4 and 5 ghz bands. I try on both, disconnect either band i use.I also reboot phone and clear cache
Is not about my router, various other phones (including another one S7) stay connected and this one stay connected as well for months. No changes done on router or phone settings, no new app downloaded...

Meanwhile i found an app like WIFI Keep Alive and look like with this app the phone stays connected. But i dont like this workaround, look like stupid to me to have an app doing what phone should do,

Upvote 0
Hi

I've been having this extremely annoying condition too, since the last software update.

I came to the conclusion that it was some kind of aggressive power management setting that was putting all kinds of apps to sleep.

Today.... I think I might have found a solution... I say might, as it's only been a few hours..

So I've done is this..

Go to settings.

Search for "Battery"

Click on the three menu dots in the top right hand corner.

Click on "Advanced Settings"

Turn off "App Power Monitor"

So far, so good.

My WiFi stays connected and the 2 VoIP apps and Text-to-voice app are alive and well.

Curiously, my battery drain doesn't seem affected.

I'd be interested to know if this solution works for other people.

Good luck.

S7 Edge Neverlocked.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones