1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Wifi hotspot?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jason.hamilton, Sep 7, 2011.

1. jason.hamilton

I am trying to get my friends phone to make a wifi hotspot. I was able to get root following the instructions on this site, i then went to market and downloaded barnacle but no devices i have will find it. Is there an issue that causes this phone to not be able to do it? thanks for the help

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jason.hamilton

Which one? This one?

wifi_tether_v3_1-beta6.apk WiFi Tether for Root Users 3.1-beta6 *** BETA *** Featured

3. k0nane

k0nane Android Expert

4. TRS-80

TRS-80 Android Enthusiast

Not to confuse the poor boy, but k0, is this what we are using nao? Last I heard, 3.0 pre-12 was more stable than the newer versions. Is that not the case anymore?

5. k0nane

k0nane Android Expert

I haven't heard of any instability as it goes on.

6. nspriggs

nspriggs Member

So the new one doesn't have the restart bug anymore?

7. k0nane

k0nane Android Expert

I have not tested it, but random reboots have been a problem throughout the 3.x series if you don't set it correctly.

8. nspriggs

nspriggs Member

This is not what I was referring to. The newer versions of the app have a bug in which upon the activation and subsequent deactivation of the wifi hotspot, the app would hang up and not let you reactivate the wifi hotspot without rebooting your phone. I just tested this with the version that you recommended, and this bug is in fact still prevalent.

Pre-12 does not have this problem, and OP: you should install that version, and set your device profile to Samsung Epic 4g in order to use the app without problems.

TRS-80 likes this.
  9. TRS-80

TRS-80 Android Enthusiast

What nspriggs describes is exactly what I was referring to.

BTW nspriggs, thanks for taking the time to test the new version, and confirm the bug still present!

10. k0nane

k0nane Android Expert

Has anyone submitted this bug to the author, yet? If not, please do so.

11. jafo69

jafo69 Lurker

OK, I got my wi-fi tether working. But how can I play online games like Duke nukem forever. Or unreal tournament. I tried unreal tournament on all 3 of my computers but none conected. I am supprised no one else is having these problems. My netflicks works good. Sucks up all the bandwith metro can dish out.

12. k0nane

k0nane Android Expert

Metro probably blocks all but HTTP, POP, IMAP, and a few others.

13. nspriggs

nspriggs Member

I just recently reinstalled this app,and now whenever I start it, and try to tether, Superuser won't pop up asking me to grant root access. The program then fails to start tethering, and asks me if I have root access, which I do; I'm running Basix, and Root Explorer works fine.

Any help/ideas on what I could do to remedy this?

Edit: nevermind, this isn't my problem. I've lost root access, and don't know why. I started a new thread aboutthis.

Samsung Galaxy Indulge Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Indulge release date was February 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.5" inch screen, 3MP camera, GB RAM, processor, and 1500mAh battery.

February 2011
Release Date
Reviews