• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

brikholl

Lurker
May 30, 2010
Hi Folks. I've been reading about the reports about radio issues on the Bionic, but nothing really matched this behavior I'm seeing. Thought I'd see if anyone else was having this issue. (if this should be added to the existing radio thread, that's fine, but that seems to be more around 3G/4G)

What's going on is that the phone doesn't auto connect to an access point when in range if the screen is locked. For example, I'll be on WiFi at home, and leave for work. I've already set up the AP for the office on the phone, but here it is 1:30pm and it hadn't connected to it yet. I unlocked the phone and it took about 30-40 secs and then finally connected. It'll generally stay connected until I leave, and then won't connect at home until I unlock the screen there.

What's puzzling is that my previous phone (Incredible) would connect on it's own when it found an AP it knew.

I never lose 4G though, so it's just the WiFi that's behaving this way. Is this just a difference in brands, or might there be an issue? It's done this ever since I bought it last week.

Anyone else seeing this?

Could it possibly be to do with the Battery Mode? I believe stock it's set to "Maximum Battery Saver" but it doesn't really specify what it does. And I am guessing while you're phone is sleeping it doesn't auto connect. Try "Performance Mode" and see what happens. It's located under Settings/Battery and Data Manager.

Upvote 0
The problem I have is similar, but not quite the same. At home, it connects just fine, but at work, I have to go into Wireless Settings and then wi-fi settings. Once I go there, then it finds the Access point at work and connects to it right away. Without doing that, I am not connected to wifi at all at work, just 4G.

Upvote 0
Try this: Go to Settings > Wireless and Networks > WiFi Settings > Options button > Advanced, then select WiFi Sleep Policy and change to Never. In theory this could help with battery life over WiFi as well, since the phone won't be popping in and out of WiFi all the time.

So far this seems to be working. Will see how it goes at the office on Monday. But so far, so good.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones