• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi Keeps Turning On

supradude

May 19, 2013
When I turn my S5 Active wifi off, it will turn itself back on. I have read forum after forum and have yet to come up with an answer. I have smart network switch off along with every option in the advanced settings menu. I have removed app one by one one and couldn't find the problem. I used the phone for months no problem and then I noticed it started sometime after I download both PDF Max 4 & OfficeSuite Professional 8 from the Amazon App store (possibly even after the Papa John's app?). I removed all three of those apps along with all of my apps as I mentioned but the problem still plagued me. I did a factory reset that fixed the wifi problem and then eventually loaded my apps back on, although not as many as I had in the first place. Everything was gravy for a few days until then the problem came back.

I have had success running FXR WiFi fix on my HTC Evo V 4G and LG Optimus V from way back in the day when those phones would have the constant connect/disconect wifi problem so I ran it on the S5 but to no avail.

Here is a list of my currently downloaded apps if that helps (excluding any pre-installed apps):
105.7 The Point, Alarm Clock, Amazon App Store, Domino's, Drippler, Easy Installer, ePSXe, ES File Explorer, Firefox, Google Voice, Hearing Saver, History Eraser, MapMyRide, Meetup, Memo Pad, Music Volume EQ, Straight Talk My Account, NES.emu, Google News & Weather, NewsTalk 97.1, Pandora, Papa John's, PDF Max 4, SASSurvival, SnapLock, Snex9x EX+, SoundHound, Strava, SwipeLock Plugin, TuneIn Radio, VLC, VT Tree ID, Yahoo Mail and the recent Samsung Security policy updates.

Anyone have a clue if one of those apps is the culprit, or it's a Samsung/Android software glitch, or even perhaps the hardware itself? AT&T branded Samsung S5 Active G870A running on Straight Talk Wireless.

Last edited:
I cannot believe it was that simple. I thought for sure I removed the Straight Talk app before trying to rectify the problem, but clearly I must not have. I just removed the app and all is well. Pretty dumb Straight Talk needs to constantly turn the wifi on when they have no reason to do so. Many thanks camsmom!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones