• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WiFi not working on my HTC Desire HD

MelanieLHG

Lurker
Oct 27, 2012
Hello,

I am having problems connecting to WiFi.

I have had my mobile phone for nearly two years now and never had problems connecting to WiFi. Nothing has changed on my home router or my mobile. However I went to stay at a friends for a few days, tried to connect to their Wifi my phone could connect for a few minutes, drop, connect and into this loop. When I got home I found it was now doing the same thing here too and any of the local cafe Wifi's.

I have:
1. Turned phone on and off and taken out battery.
2. Forgotten all my WiFi connections then re-added my home one.
3. Tried turning G3 off and just trying to use Wifi on its own.
4. Deleted cache, etc from my browser.
5. Set static IP using the IP address my phone picks up for the minute it connects to the router, putting in the gateway I got from my PC by doing ipconfig, and subnet as 255.255.255.0 and nothing in DNS.
6. Made sure wifi sleep policy is set to off.

Yet I still have this problem connecting to any wifi.
Yet I never had this problem before.
Does anyone have any suggestions of anything else I can try?

Many Thanks
Melanie

Helo!
I have the same problem on my phone, HTC desire.
Suddenly my phone can't acsess wifi anymore, not in the house or in the garage.
I tryed reesett the wireless ruter and the acses point, no help.
Tryed to reesett the phone completly. No help, stil get "not in range" (im sitting next to the w.router)

Is mye phone's wifi broken, and nothing to do with it?

my phone is almost 2 years old, so its strange that this just suddenly happennd.

Help!!

Upvote 0
Hi jayrammgee. Welcome to these forums. With both wifi and bt giving you problems, I'd suggest a hard reset of your phone. Just power down the phone, pull the battery for a bit, replace and reboot. Sometimes a hard reset will clear such silly nagging problems. I hope it works for you. If not, please let us know. Best of luck and thanks for using these forums.

Upvote 0
Hello everyone.

I am also having the -same- issue as the OP. I get an Error whenever I try to turn on my wireless or wireless hotspot.

I have a non-rooted, no custom-ROM, Unlocked, Telus coded HTC Desire HD updated to Android 2.3.5 w/ HTC Sense 3.0. I am currently on Rogers Wireless, but the problem started while I was with Telus. I've spoken with Telus techs already, and the ones I've spoken with are completely incompetent and I'm really not sure why they work in that department. (I know it's mean but I know for a fact that most, if not all, of the Telus agents are 3rd party contracted employees that work for a contact centre, and they only get, and use, information that is provided by Telus. Most of the information is useless for these kind of issues.)

I noticed my wireless acting strange after the update came out (yes I know it was a long time ago). I had gotten the error half a dozen times, but a soft reboot would always fix it.

I dropped my phone a couple times, didn't get an error. Then one day I just wasn't able to get my wireless to work at all. Tethering worked fine until I unlocked it and moved from Telus to Rogers.

I've been unable to use wireless connectivity for half a year now, and after switching to Rogers Wireless (Telus doesn't cover the area that I now live in), I lost the 5gb data plan that I had, and only have 1gb data per month. I am quite a power user, and I now really need wireless connectivity so that I don't have to worry about going over my data limit. Sad to say but Rogers has terribly expensive plans.

I have tried:
-Cleaning battery cover contacts
-Hard reset (removing battery & waiting a few minutes before turning back on)
-Factory Reset (once, but now I'm afraid to lose all of my contacts that I can't seem to figure out how to back-up [if anyone has any advice on this off-topic, it would be nice to hear about that])
-adding IP/Gateway configuration
-Opening a ticket with HTC (I haven't had a reply from them in a week)
-Google
-Many android forum searches that lead to no actual answer, or answers that lead to custom ROMS

I don't know what else to try, I love this phone and I don't want to have to spend $600 for a new one. (I hate contracts, and I'm currently on a month-to-month with Rogers Wireless)

If one of you can solve this problem, I swear I will give you all dah loves. :3

-MrPhooey

Upvote 0
Just joining in.... the Desire HD is not seeing wifi at all. Does not connect to home router (both laptops do) and also the WiFi analyser is not seeing any ifi.

Was OK in other house, and on an open wifi in a hotel 10 days ago, but nothing seen here. Tried cleaning antenae to no affect. Also done full restarts, in and out of safe mode.

Rather reluctant to do a factory reset as that loses books and games.

Is there any other possibility?

Upvote 0
Hello,

I am having problems connecting to WiFi.

I have had my mobile phone for nearly two years now and never had problems connecting to WiFi. Nothing has changed on my home router or my mobile. However I went to stay at a friends for a few days, tried to connect to their Wifi my phone could connect for a few minutes, drop, connect and into this loop. When I got home I found it was now doing the same thing here too and any of the local cafe Wifi's.

I have:
1. Turned phone on and off and taken out battery.
2. Forgotten all my WiFi connections then re-added my home one.
3. Tried turning G3 off and just trying to use Wifi on its own.
4. Deleted cache, etc from my browser.
5. Set static IP using the IP address my phone picks up for the minute it connects to the router, putting in the gateway I got from my PC by doing ipconfig, and subnet as 255.255.255.0 and nothing in DNS.
6. Made sure wifi sleep policy is set to off.

Yet I still have this problem connecting to any wifi.
Yet I never had this problem before.
Does anyone have any suggestions of anything else I can try?

Upvote 0
The WiFi antenna is located on the battery cover. You could remove it and see if the terminals need cleaning but I doubt this is the issue.

You can also do a factory reset. You would loose all your apps and data on the phone internal storage.

Dear Ral I Have HTC Desire HD Mobile WIFI Connected and show full signals but No any Site Browsing and also no any thing working on WIFI just like Facebook Whatsapp
Therfore Mobiledata working fine and all thing working but on WIFI internet not working Please Help Me

Upvote 0
Dear Ral I Have HTC Desire HD Mobile WIFI Connected and show full signals but No any Site Browsing and also no any thing working on WIFI just like Facebook Whatsapp
Therfore Mobiledata working fine and all thing working but on WIFI internet not working Please Help Me

I have same problem with TWO HTC Desires HD WiFi packed on both phones two days apart.

I think have fallen foul of some kind of update, but having said that I went back to a complete Blackout firmware reflash.

Total mystery!

Upvote 0
Hello Folks, I can add to this issue also. I just picked up the Desire 526 for my mother and I have the same issues with Wifi. It finds her wifi - shows the SSID, also shows excellent signal, I put in the pass code, it then states that its authenticating, then sates, saved, then states sign in error and starts all over. This phone is running android 5.0, checked for updates - all good. I took the phone to my home, it found my wifi, and got on no problem. Back at Mom's - no dice! I also did the reset on the router and the phone - still no go. It sees all the neighbors wifi as it does my moms, just won't accept the log in credentials.

We are like some others here, she has a month to month plan with only 1 Gb data, we need the wifi to keep the data down. Very frustrating!!!

So, what is the next step?

Upvote 0
I have HTC desire 600 phone, which have probelm of wifi. it wifi not connected to my home wireless Router, while wifi of other phone at home is connected.When I trie to on wifi, it show error message. Then I press three dot. it show only one function (advance) active while other five functions ( Like scane, Add net work & WSP Push etc.) unactive.

So I reset factory setting. but after that it still not working.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones