1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

WiFi Problem

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mak916, Oct 20, 2014.

1. mak916

mak916 Android Expert

I am having a problem connecting and staying connected to WiFi on the Note 4. If I turn WiFi on, it will not come on unless I restart the phone. Then after I get it to come on, it will stop working if I stop using the phone. Anyone else having this problem? Any solutions? And no it is not my home WiFi that is the problem. It happens on any WiFi network I try to connect to.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. AndroidProf

AndroidProf Well-Known Member

Her's what I think is happening; the reason you need to restart your device to connect is because the wi-fi driver software somehow fails when the device is not connected. Restarting is like rebooting the phone, all the drivers work a fresh. You can either look for updates of your device software, or you can backup you data and factory reset.

3. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User

This is not the first post in a forum about wifi issues on the N4. Seems perhaps a firmware bug.

4. mak916

mak916 Android Expert

Do you know where the other posts are? I'm thinking it's a bug too. I'm going to have it looked at later today.

5. mak916

mak916 Android Expert

I was thinking about doing a factory reset since I still haven't done much to set up the phone. But I'll do that as a last resort. If that doesn't work, I'll have them give me a new one.

6. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User

XDA and carrier forums. There really is not a lot of N4s out there yet for a better sample.

mak916 likes this.
  7. mak916

mak916 Android Expert

Well the WiFi seems to be working right at the moment. Lets see about tomorrow.

8. KupKrazy

KupKrazy Android Enthusiast

I am thinking there is a WiFi issue. It has now a few times refused to connect to my WiFi access point sometimes until I reboot the phone. It won't connect on the 5Ghz band nor the 2.4Ghz band when it happens. Meanwhile, my Note 2, iPhone 6, and LG G3 have no problems connecting. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's been a few times now.

9. mak916

mak916 Android Expert

Mine started acting funny again this morning. So there is definitely a problem with the WiFi on the phone.

10. timelord65

timelord65 Android Enthusiast

I've never had WiFi problems with Samsung phones. I'm currently using my Note 4 on WiFi right now since my ported number won't become active with Verizon until noon tomorrow. No problems at all.

11. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Android Expert

If you haven't done a factory reset after having the issue reoccur for a few days, I would highly recommend that. Sometimes it is necessary for setting up a new phone.

If you are still having intermittent connection issues after that, definitely check with your carrier.

12. mak916

mak916 Android Expert

I'm starting to hear of other WiFi issues now. I plan to take my phone in tomorrow and have them check it out.

13. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Android Expert

Again, factory reset the phone before you go. You may end up saving yourself a lot of hassle.

14. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

You might as well reset it. I promise you that it's the first thing the carrier will do. Make sure you are as backed up as possible, and you know where everything goes on your home screens. Good luck!

15. mak916

mak916 Android Expert

I took the phone into Best Buy, to their Samsung Experience. The guy there re-download the software onto my phone. Told me see if that works. If not bring it back in. If it doesn't work I'll reset it before I bring it back in.

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date was October 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 16MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 805 processor, and 3220mAh battery.

October 2014
Release Date
Reviews