• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will Contacts Be Lost When Replacing Battery

I want to replace the battery on my LG K20 phone with a new, uncharged battery. Will the data (contacts etc.) be lost during the transition and new battery charging?
new uncharged battery? there is no such thing......wait.....i see what you are trying to say. yes a new battery is charged to full upon initial assembly, but will not be charged again until sold.....so technically they are all charged, just not re-charged......just say new battery, it is understood that the new battery has not been re-charged.

i don't think that wiping data partitions on your phone is routine when changing non-removable batteries.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Data stored within your phone's internal storage media is going to stay there no matter if there's a battery or even no battery.
But that's not even something you should worry about, the fact is you really need to set up an automatic backup system for your phone data. Since you apparently don't have your email/contacts/calendar syncing with your email service, it's also likely there are things like photos, music, and other files too that may or may not exist only on your phone. The thing is, smartphones are not intended to be used for long term archiving. If your files and important personal data only exist on your phone, that's a big risk.
So for your own sake, start backing up your phone's user account. Backups are important. They really are. Especially when you send your phone off somewhere to be serviced by a stranger. And be sure you've set up a lock screen.

Upvote 0
I understand your point that the new battery was initially charged and it has since lost that charge. The LG K20 has a replaceable battery so it's a relatively simple matter for me to remove the old one and put in the new one. My question comes down to how is any data (contacts et al) maintained for the half-minute or so while the battery replacement is happening (no battery at all) and the subsequent time it will take to charge the new battery?

Upvote 0
I understand your point that the new battery was initially charged and it has since lost that charge. The LG K20 has a replaceable battery so it's a relatively simple matter for me to remove the old one and put in the new one. My question comes down to how is any data (contacts et al) maintained for the half-minute or so while the battery replacement is happening (no battery at all) and the subsequent time it will take to charge the new battery?
oh yes a removable battery will not mess with data. internal storage is separated into partitions. one partition is where the android os lies. there is also a partition for your data as well. so even when there is no power, your data stored in that partition will be saved. i have switched many batteries on my android phones before they went with non-removable ones and i have never lost and data by doing so.

Upvote 0
So for your own sake, start backing up your phone's user account. Backups are important. They really are. Especially when you send your phone off somewhere to be serviced by a stranger. And be sure you've set up a lock screen.

Pictures are all copied to my computer. As for contacts, do you have a recommendation for a non-google backup software/method?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones