• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will you be ditching your Hero for the EVO 4G?

Will you ditch the Hero for the EVO 4G right away?

• Yes!

Votes: 121 56.0%
  • No, I will either wait or switch to a different device after the Hero.

Votes: 95 44.0%

• Total voters
There are only 3 differences between the Evo and Nexus that I can see really being a factor, for me anyway; 1. Screen Size 2. Internal Storage and 3. Sense UI. I don't really care about the 4G or wimax being that I can't get it Detroit. Will these two really function that much differently? I was all psyched to get the Nexus before the Evo was announced and I'm still kind of leaning that way. Any opinions?

Another thing that crosses my mind, obviously they are both pretty serious pieces of equipment but with the recent delay of the 2.1 upgrade release someone mentioned that since Google is releasing the Nexus all updates will come through Google and therefore will be fast than Sprint. Anyone one else think this may be true?

Upvote 0
I think that even without 4G it is still a must-upgrade from the Hero. The hardware is leagues ahead of the Hero, and it will be lightning fast. I'm tired of having this very slight lag when I use my Hero for almost anything, and I can't wait to have a device that is lightning fast. The 4G is just a big cherry on top for me. :D

Upvote 0
help a newish Sprint customer out. I switched over to Sprint for the Hero back in Nov. 2009. My wife is currently on T-mo month-to-month.

If I bring her over to Sprint and add a line when the EVO launches can I then immediately "switch" the EVO to my line and give her my Hero?

I know with GSM it would be as easy as swapping SIM cards...From Sprint's side they are getting the same $$ from me so is there any hang up with this plan?

Upvote 0
help a newish Sprint customer out. I switched over to Sprint for the Hero back in Nov. 2009. My wife is currently on T-mo month-to-month.

If I bring her over to Sprint and add a line when the EVO launches can I then immediately "switch" the EVO to my line and give her my Hero?

I know with GSM it would be as easy as swapping SIM cards...From Sprint's side they are getting the same $$ from me so is there any hang up with this plan?

Yes, I have done this before... should not be a problem.

To PONIC...

You can bring the phone back sure, BUT... if you had an old account which they don't offer anymore, like the Flexibility plans, you will NOT be able to get that account back. It could be a horror to deal with, but once the old account is upgraded, it's gone!

Upvote 0
I'll get it in October, when my upgrade comes. I see no point in paying such a high price for a phone that doesn't make calls any better than my Hero already does, especially when I could wait a couple more months and get it for far cheaper than you'll pay for it. Not to mention that the major bugs will be worked out by then :p
good point. i will probably wait until October as well. No need to waist money.

Upvote 0
I have a question that I think I'm not going to like the answer to. I just renewed my contract March 3rd and bought the Hero, is there any sort of way to cancel the renewal within the first 30 days or anything? I don't think so, but I figure I ask.
You have a total of 30 days to decide on a phone which means you have til 4/1. You can't take the Hero back on 3/31 and get another 30 days from 3/31. It will probably be at least June before the EVO is released. My 1 year with the Hero will be up in Oct and I will see then what kind of SP 1 year upgrade will be in effect.

Upvote 0
I was going to get a Dell Mini 5 when they came out, but I think I'll just wait and pick this up instead. They (XDA forums people) are estimating $7-$800 for the EVO.

I'll sell my Hero and pick this up, unfortunately I've got to wait until it releases.

In the mean time, I've got an iPhone 2G and a G1 I've gotta sell..

Upvote 0

Yes, u can switch the lines. Use to be only Sprint could do it, but now they have an online option "activate your phone". As long as you have all of the phone info ur good. I usually upgrade while the kiddos fight over the next best thing. All I can say is it'll be a battle over the Hero.

Upvote 0
I was going to get a Dell Mini 5 when they came out, but I think I'll just wait and pick this up instead. They (XDA forums people) are estimating $7-$800 for the EVO.

I'll sell my Hero and pick this up, unfortunately I've got to wait until it releases.

In the mean time, I've got an iPhone 2G and a G1 I've gotta sell..

WHAT? That seems a little absurd! I can't think of any phone that costs anywhere near that!

Upvote 0
this phone is going to kill a lot of phones that are currently out. I think some people will say they will hold out but once it's on that display shelf at the store some people may change their mind. If your stuck without upgrade then I could see that holding you back. I have to wait till october since I used mine for the hero in october. This phone is beautiful on video so I know it's gonna be great to see in person.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones