• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will you be getting Asurion Insurance w/ your Incredible?

Insurance for you Incredible?

• Yes, with Verizon/Asurion.

Votes: 342 65.0%
  • Yes, with SquareTrade

Votes: 20 3.8%
  • Yes, with other 3rd-party insurance

Votes: 10 1.9%
  • No insurance at all.

Votes: 154 29.3%

• Total voters
When did Asurion's deductible change to $89? I filed a insurance claim last week on my Storm and it was still only 50 bucks.

It depends on WHEN you got your insurance, if you bought at $5, $50 deductible your still on it till you change phones...

Their change isn't retro active, it only applies to NEW contracts. I think it started the beginning of the year.

Upvote 0
No need to be a dick. Plus, Verizon itself doesn't even have insurance. :rolleyes:

Oh no no no, I seriously was not trying to be. I'm sorry if that came off like that. I was just saying like "I understand," that's where the "Okay, gotcha" came in. I'm sorry if it came off like that lol. I really did not mean to haha.

Reactions: Flaring Afro
Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure the $89 is just for smartphones as a regular phone I think it's still $50.. Which makes sense since they cost a couple hundred bucks more

A smart phone is a lot more expensive, but remember, for the most part they're buying and giving out refurbished phones.

The $89 is more of an incentive to not file a false claim. If you were planning on turning around and selling it, your're alreday down almost $100... so how much more can you really make?

They make plenty of money with the monthly fees.

Upvote 0
How'd you get insurance through State Farm? I called them the other day and was told they don't have insurance for cell phones.

Spoke to my agent (state farm in ohio) and not only do that have a "personal items" rider to go with my homeowners insurance, he is waiting to get the incredible as well.

The rate is so much for every $100 a year, I was quoted about $36 a year for a $500 phone. The only requirement is that the phone be over $400 retail.

There is no deductable and it covers everything (lost, stolen, damaged).

And, no the rates won't go up if you file a claim because I had to file one for my wifes ring a couple months back and when insured the new one it was the same monthly payment.

Upvote 0
Spoke to my agent (state farm in ohio) and not only do that have a "personal items" rider to go with my homeowners insurance, he is waiting to get the incredible as well.

The rate is so much for every $100 a year, I was quoted about $36 a year for a $500 phone. The only requirement is that the phone be over $400 retail.

There is no deductable and it covers everything (lost, stolen, damaged).

And, no the rates won't go up if you file a claim because I had to file one for my wifes ring a couple months back and when insured the new one it was the same monthly payment.

Is this just a State Farm thing? Do you guys know if most insurances do it? I have AAA and this would be great. That way if I ever loose my phone, they give you the cash right?
So you are guaranteed a new phone, or even an upgrade :)

Upvote 0
Is this just a State Farm thing? Do you guys know if most insurances do it? I have AAA and this would be great. That way if I ever loose my phone, they give you the cash right?
So you are guaranteed a new phone, or even an upgrade :)

It may be a by carrier, state thing....I know most insurance companies do have the personal item rider, but they may limit what can be included on it. Most people use it for jewerly.

Again, the procedures may vary based on the agency, but most will either replace it through their own venders or cut you the check. Either way, it will be a new phone from the manufacturer.

Upvote 0
Yes, 100% certain. This is TOO nice a phone to NOT get insurance! To every Authorized Retail Verizon store I've been to, they either give me a new replacement (I've gone through 4 curves) or have one sent via 1-2 day shipping to my door. For my tour (I've had 3) they just ship to my door via 1-2 day (usually 2 day). Never had any complaints, only paid for 1 of my 7 replacements, because phones would lose keys, or just stop working.

Ag04

Upvote 0
He's been with the State Farm for 30 years so I would think he knows what hes talking about.

It's covered here. As you can see, it is completely separate from any other policy, so I was wrong about it being part of the homeowners policy.

Personal Articles

Personal Articles

You may have more valuable possessions than you realize. Your Homeowners Policy can provide some coverage, but with deductibles and limitations. A Personal Articles Policy can provide the additional coverage that you may need.
Some items the Personal Articles Policy may cover are:

• Jewelry
  • Furs
  • Cameras
  • Musical Instruments
  • Silverware/Goldware
  • Golf Equipment
  • Fine Art (such as paintings, vases, antique furniture, oriental rugs, rare glass, and china)
  • Collectibles
  • Sports Equipment
  • Computer Equipment

Upvote 0
there is this too:

N1 Insurance, Things you should KNOW! - Page 2 - Nexus One Forum - Google Phone Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaslkuo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphieSpeaks
I went with a policy with state farm....that way I dont have to deal with random insurance companies/google store.

Do you know how much deductible you have to pay for that policy?:

just got my personal articles policy yesterday. I paid $35 for a year, it covers everything, and there is no deductible. Make sure if you go you have your N1 receipt as they will need a copy of it for the value and your serial number.

Upvote 0
I can tell you that if you had bad luck with phones in the past, the chance that something will happen to your Incredible is extremely high. so go ahead and pay $6 for Asurion...and if you make a claim it will be $90 deductible and you get a replacement over night.
If you had good luck with phones than don't bother wasting your money on Asurion especially if you have an alternative upgrade available.. it's best to take the chances and buy a CPO if lost or damaged. for example a CPO Droid is just under $300 bucks.
I hope this helps

Upvote 0
Sure, as long as it stays in your house which is why State Farm won't insure smartphones.

Call it a mediacenter lol. But seriously, they are coming into your house to inspect whatever it is you claim damaged. You can't trick insurance companies.

....*shrug* I have Asurion and then I have USAA for personal property/renters insurance and car insurance.

Upvote 0
Just got this response from my State Farm Agent:

He's been with the State Farm for 30 years so I would think he knows what hes talking about.

30 years or not 30 years..... I have a policy with my Motorola Droid with the full retail price listed and I have already confirmed that I can add another Policy for my Incredible. Like I stated earlier.....it appears to be state specific. Search it on the Moto Droid forum. It was discussed to death a long time ago.

Upvote 0
I've read conflicting reports on whether Best Buy will honor the $100 NE2 discount, sounds like it's up to the mobile department manager, so I guess I will have to go ask for myself.

But I've also read that Best Buy offers insurance for 2 years at $120 whereas Verizon charges $240. To quote Idiocracy, that's a big minus, bigger than the NE2 discount... hmmmm.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is, say I want insurance but Best Buy won't give me the NE2 price on the phone itself... can I buy the phone from Verizon and then get Best Buy to insure it? :D I'm guessing the answer is no, buuuuut it's worth a shot and could make this phone an absolute steal.

Anyone know?

Upvote 0
FWIW, I was at the mall today that had a BBMobile there and I stopped in to just inquire about the pre-order. The guy didn't even know what the heck an "Incredible" was (he actually had to ask me twice the name) but luckily the other salesperson knew about the phone. I asked a couple questions and one was about the BB insurance. He said that it's great because there's no deductible and if the screen cracks, get water on it, etc etc you get a NEW phone from BB. I asked him again, a NEW phone huh? Not refurbished, brand NEW? He said yes...

But I dunno... As I said, take it FWIW... Uhhh..

Upvote 0
there should be another option in the poll "Insurance is the biggest waste of money on the planet, I just choose to take care of my things like an adult"

Yeah yeah yeah, but I can't even count the number of times my Razr has slipped out of my hands while I'm pulling it out of my pocket, or putting on my pants, or just digging through my blankets trying to find it, or whatever, and crashed onto the tile floor sending the battery skittering around. Maybe some people just have steadier hands than others, but it's not like I'm getting coked up and tossing my phone to hyperactive toddlers from hotel room balconies.

Personally, I intend to armor my phone like a tank with a rubber baby buggy bumper and a scratch guard, because I do not want to be kicking myself for 2 freakin' years due to one millisecond of clumsiness. All the same... insurance is nice. I've always had it on my indestructible Razr, and never used it, but... just in case...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones