• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will you sale the current device for a Galaxy S5?

I find it too much hassle to sell them and I refuse to be ripped off with ridiculously low trade in value so I just keep my phones. I would sell to family or friend but not a stranger. I don't need the aggravation.

I'm always the same with my old phones, and certainly never give the benefit to one of those Ca$hConverters(RipoffConverters) pawnbroker type places. Usually sold them to family and friends. Although my last few phones have worn-out or broken, and so weren't really sellable anyway. And who the hell would want to buy a second-hand cheapo KIRF Galaxy Note anyway? LOL When I replace my current phone in June, I'll probably just keep it as a spare, that's unless anyone I know wants to buy it. Won't be advertising it, I don't need the potential agro of selling it to a complete stranger either.

Upvote 0
Which is ok for photos, videos and music, but not ok for those 3-4GB EA and Gameloft games and other large apps that can't be moved to expandable storage.

Oh I wasn't aware of that. Never got into smartphone games and most of the apps I download are relatively small. But I could see why that's an issue if you download a lot of apps. All flagships should just just ship with 32gb on-board storage as a standard.

Upvote 0
I'm always the same with my old phones, and certainly never give the benefit to one of those Ca$hConverters(RipoffConverters) pawnbroker type places. Usually sold them to family and friends. Although my last few phones have worn-out or broken, and so weren't really sellable anyway. And who the hell would want to buy a second-hand cheapo KIRF Galaxy Note anyway? LOL When I replace my current phone in June, I'll probably just keep it as a spare, that's unless anyone I know wants to buy it. Won't be advertising it, I don't need the potential agro of selling it to a complete stranger either.

Radioshack offered me $80 for a two year old S3, which is a little banged up. I think that's a decent offer. I sold my S2 to Best Buy when I got my S3 and they gave me like $150 for it. Although, you can probably get more on eBay. I like having a back-up device around, but by selling my old phones it cuts off a chunk of the cost of an upgrade.

Upvote 0
Oh I wasn't aware of that. Never got into smartphone games and most of the apps I download are relatively small. But I could see why that's an issue if you download a lot of apps. All flagships should just just ship with 32gb on-board storage as a standard.

Memory is cheap enough to throw in 64 gb imo. Then I wouldn't miss sd card which Kitkat makes useless anyway

Upvote 0
Radioshack offered me $80 for a two year old S3, which is a little banged up. I think that's a decent offer. I sold my S2 to Best Buy when I got my S3 and they gave me like $150 for it. Although, you can probably get more on eBay. I like having a back-up device around, but by selling my old phones it cuts off a chunk of the cost of an upgrade.

Fine, if you don't pay full price like I do. They're getting a $700 device for under $200 and you think you got a good deal? Think again.

Upvote 0
Fine, if you don't pay full price like I do. They're getting a $700 device for under $200 and you think you got a good deal? Think again.

It was a $700 device when it came out 2 years ago, its not worth that on the open market anymore.

You'll always get less trading it in than selling it yourself, but you've got to be realistic about what its worth.

Upvote 0

Thing is it's no longer a $700 device, it's a second-hand, used device that's two years old. It's up to you if you think they're giving you a good deal on a $200 trade-in against a new $700 device. Tech products are one of the worse things for depreciation, much worse than cars.

You may only get $200 trying to sell it second-hand on Ebay or whatever, that's if you can't find any family or friends who wish to buy it. $200 is $200, if you're keeping it in a draw disused it's not worth anything.

From what I've seen here, the only phones that don't seem to depreciate rapidly are iPhones.

Upvote 0
No, but it's worth more than trade in value.

Yeh you can list it on Ebay or Craigslist for the price you want, and see if anyone will buy it. Trade-in is much easier of course, and no potential hassle and risk, but may well get less than selling it privately.

Where I am trying to sell a second-hand Android phone can be quite difficult. Simply because the market absolutely saturated with new and often better ones. Selling a Samsung is probably easier though for me, simply because it's not a Chinese brand and is therefore more desirable.

Upvote 0
Although I like the size of the gs5 better than my note 3 after playing with one at the vzw store I came away with the impression that the gs5 is "cheap". I can't give you an objective reason. It just doesn't feel substantial. Just feels like a strong breeze would break it. Like it was a fake cell phone made of cheap plastic for toddlers to play with.

Huge negative - I much prefer a capacitive menu key to a capacitive key to show active apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones