• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Windows can't find Captivate

Go into your USB settings before plugging in the device, and select Mass Storage. When you plug the phone in, you should see a notification pop up at the top in your Notification bar. Click it, and then hit the "Mount" option.

Once you mount it, you will see it in your PC. If it doesn't prompt you to mount it, then something is wrong.

Also, in the USB settings, make sure USB debugging is turned OFF. You can do this by going to Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging

Jumping Jesus on a F*ing pogo stick! WTF? What kind of dumbass developer makes you select a "mount" command if you've staticly set it to USB Mass Storage? I'm used to a WinMo phone and that's the way it works.

Anyway, no luck! Windows is showing it as an "unknown device". The few times I got Windows to even say it was a USB mass storage device, the damned thing had a yellow exclamation point on it.

Upvote 0
Jumping Jesus on a F*ing pogo stick! WTF? What kind of dumbass developer makes you select a "mount" command if you've staticly set it to USB Mass Storage? I'm used to a WinMo phone and that's the way it works.

Anyway, no luck! Windows is showing it as an "unknown device". The few times I got Windows to even say it was a USB mass storage device, the damned thing had a yellow exclamation point on it.

Sounds like the issue I was having... some kind of driver conflict. Who knows what else could be causing it, but for me it was my Maxtor OneTouch external drive. Very frustrating.

Upvote 0
In the usb settings select "ask on connection".When you connect select "mass storage". Then go to the notification area, click on "usb connected" then click mount.Now your good to go.

BTW you have to install the samsung drivers. If you register your captivate at samsung's site you get access to the drivers straight from samsung.

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem with Win7 x64. I installed both sets of drivers from the sticky. My previous phone was a Windows Mobile phone too -- I wonder if there is some conflict from the sync software.

I'm a long time software developer and I normally don't have this amount of difficulty. I followed the instructions posted.

Not a happy camper right now. Other than than the USB connection and getting my contacts from Outlook, I love the phone.

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem with Vista64. I installed both sets of drivers from the sticky. My previous phone was a Windows Mobile phone too -- I wonder if there is some conflict from the sync software.

I'm a long time software developer and I normally don't have this amount of difficulty. I followed the instructions posted.

Not a happy camper right now. Other than than the USB connection and getting my contacts from Outlook, I love the phone.

Why would you install the 32bit drivers for your 64bi operating system. Might be the problem. I've got Vista64 and it works perfect for me.

Upvote 0
I will be damned! I got it to recognize as mass storage! The solution?

I was using the front ports on my PC. I used the same port I plug my external SD reader into and it wasn't working, gave the "unrecognized device". I plugged into a diff port on the front of my PC and Windows assigned drive letters, but I couldn't read the contents. FINALLY, I tried a port on the back of my PC and PRESTO! What a waste of an afternoon!

Now I'm gonna try to get Kies to work!

Reactions: MeVirtually
Upvote 0
Ugh -- don't know why I said Vista64. I actually have Win7 64bit.

I promise the reason isn't Windows 7. I have 64 bit and everything works great, even before installing the new drivers that are stickied.

If you are getting a "device not recognized" error, delete the device from the Device Manager and let it reinstall the drivers.

Upvote 0
I will be damned! I got it to recognize as mass storage! The solution?

I was using the front ports on my PC. I used the same port I plug my external SD reader into and it wasn't working, gave the "unrecognized device". I plugged into a diff port on the front of my PC and Windows assigned drive letters, but I couldn't read the contents. FINALLY, I tried a port on the back of my PC and PRESTO! What a waste of an afternoon!

Now I'm gonna try to get Kies to work!

Don't you love computers? :)

Upvote 0
Widows won't even acknowledge I've plugged anything in if I select "Samsung Kies" on the phone. I'm not going to mess with it anymore, no real reason as long as Windows will see it as mass storage. I already exported my contact and calendar from outlook and synced with Google.

DoubleTwist is pretty nice. In reality, since it's just using mass storage, Windows Media Player or WinAmp will work just fine also. I'm prob gonna stick with Windows Media Player since that's what I used to sync music on my WinMo phone. Thanks everyone for listening to me bitch about this problem! :D

Upvote 0
yeah! i finally got it to work too! i'm using vista 64. i synced my music using itunes using itunes agent and it works like a charm! it took about two hours to figure out. i don't know why samsung made things so damn hard. they could've made easier! however this phone freaking rocks! i am never going back to iphone again! DROID

Upvote 0
Why would you install the 32bit drivers for your 64bi operating system. Might be the problem. I've got Vista64 and it works perfect for me.

When I said both drivers, I meant the 64bit drivers that maerlin posted, and the set MrTony posted (I assumed the Setup.exe picked the correct 64bit version). Was that 32 bit only?

I'll try a different USB port, since that worked for MrTony.

Upvote 0
I also tried plugging in my PMP - a cowon S9 - which this was supposed to replace. It won't work with the Captivate plugged in either. There is definitely something weird going on there.

When I said both drivers, I meant the 64bit drivers that maerlin posted, and the set MrTony posted (I assumed the Setup.exe picked the correct 64bit version). Was that 32 bit only?

I'll try a different USB port, since that worked for MrTony.

It'll pick either the 32-bit or 64-bit drivers for you.

Upvote 0
Got Kies to sync my Outlook contacts with my Captivate. All my old WinMobile phone contacts were in Outlook, so that saved me a lot of hassle.

You can get Kies from the Samsung website, but you have to go to the United Kingdom page to download it.

Also, make sure you close Outlook. I couldn't get it to work when Outlook was open.

Thanks for the help guys.

Upvote 0
Got Kies to sync my Outlook contacts with my Captivate. All my old WinMobile phone contacts were in Outlook, so that saved me a lot of hassle.
Thanks for the help guys.

I need some help with Kies. I downloaded it from the UK site. When I double click the file, it says "Preparing installation files. Please wait while downloaded files are extracted." It finishes, but then nothing happens.
When I connect the phone, I select Kies, but I never receive a notification. This is on Vista. What operating system did you install?
I was able to mount the phone to copy files, but I want to sync my contacts.

Updated:
It is working now, but I am not sure what fixed it. I did remove the USB driver from the US site. I also downloaded Kies from http://www.samsungapps.com/ instead of http://www.samsung.com/UK. It appeared to be the same file.
Anyway, contacts synced.

Not sure why Kies is not on the US site. Seems like a good tool (once it installed).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones