• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Windows Explorer Thumbnails won't display S3 jpegs - what gives?

The problem isn't after the files are copied to the PC, it's when you're attempting to view the thumbnails while connected to your PC via Windows Explorer.

I have the same problem with my S3 when connecting it to my Vista based PC. This is very annoying and I suspect Samsung will just continue spending money on advertising of how great they are instead of fixing these and other issues. It's been one problem after another with this phone from poor call quality to limited Bluetooth/audio jack functionality. I have to wonder how much Samsung tested this phone!:mad:
Note: I didn't have this issue when using a Motorola RAZR M and RAZR MAXX with the same PC running Vista.:thinking:
If anyone can come up with a solution to this issue without having to using a dropbox, please post the solution to this forum.

Upvote 0
The Fix from guestaccount worked for me.
On my SGS2 with ICS I can go into settings - more - wireless and networks - USB utilities - then turn on USB storage. I was then able to view thumbnails on my computer. It looks like you need to do this every time you connect as I got a warning that some Apps on the phone may not work properly in this mode. I hope this works for everybody else.

Upvote 0
On my SGS2 with ICS I can go into settings - more - wireless and networks - USB utilities - then turn on USB storage. I was then able to view thumbnails on my computer. It looks like you need to do this every time you connect as I got a warning that some Apps on the phone may not work properly in this mode. I hope this works for everybody else.

That's very nice but this is the S3 forum and that does NOT work

Reactions: coastal_carolina
Upvote 0

The S3 does not have a "USB utilities" option. Is there another way on the S3 to get to this option or another way of turning on USB storage on the S3?

Upvote 0
So I figured out what works for me. Downloading that Zatta app didn't work for me, probably because I'm not rooted.

Okay so go to Settings>More>USB Utilities>Connect Storage to PC
If you're charging through USB it will tell you, "USB is connected. Remove the cable." So remove it and plug it back in again and then click the button which now says, "Turn on USB storage" then OK.

Now it should be using it like a disk drive.
Hopefully this works for you. I just switched from my HTC so everything is messy. In other words I have now my old folder that I named when the SD card was in my HTC and another drive, "Removable Disk" under that. But all my new and current files are there.

thanks alot man! this really worked out fine, perfect! this problem has really bothered me for a long time and now its finally fixed! now i can have a better experience in transfering only those photos i want from my phone! :D

Upvote 0
Hello all and thanks in advance for any help you might offer. Same issue as all of you. Read this thread and tried several of the options.

In summary, I can see the pics fine in gallery on the phone, but no way to see pics via PC. Only see jpg icon. Tried fixes listed --

• In settings, more settings, I do not see a USB option as recommended.
  • Copying the folder doesn't work.
  • I'm not rooted and don't want to go there.
Other than dropbox, any options? Many thanks!!!!

:mad: For the record, I think this issue is horrible and would have never bought this phone had I known. Besides phone, camera is my #1 use. Samsung, are you hearing this?

Upvote 0
Was so excited about my wonderful new phone. Just thought it was me, that I would google and find out how to see the jpegs. None of the solutions above are working. I take 1000's of pix for work, and may have to return if nothing works. Unbelieveable on a device such as this!! Is Samsung doing a fix? How do you find that out? Not familiar with Dropbox. Does downloading it void warranty? Will it mess with my phone?
I really appreciate this forum!!

Upvote 0
Quick workaround while we all wait for the proper solution:

Basically I do all the viewing of thumbnails and selecting of the pics on my phone. I use a file explorer app, browse the thumbnails, selecting multiple thumbnails as I go, then copy and paste them into a new folder on the phone in one go. Just browse for that folder on you PC, you don't need to see the thumbnails at that point, cut and paste the contents of that whole folder onto your PC.

Upvote 0
With all this latest and greatest, you would thing a simple thing like showing me Thumbnails on my SD card would have not been missed. After hours with Samsung, Andrew told me to get on this forum an tell everyone to call, chat, or email Samsung about this Jelly Bean oversite. You can install the Kies software from Samsung for the temporary work around till they get it fixed and it works with my Windows 7 64bit. Ugh Android... I love this new Galaxy SIII but come on DROID.... how careless...

Upvote 0
Any word on this fix.

I currently have the Samsung Note 2 with the same issue.
Didn't seem something like this in the thread list over there, so figure I would post here.

I have noticed since Gingerbread there are a few features on across the board missing.

One: being this, the thumbnails not working when plugged into a PC.

Two: Maybe not such a big deal, but the review option in settings on the camera.
The Note 2 is a big phone, awesome feature to say 'shoot' and it takes a picture. YaY hands free.. oh, but I wanna see if the pix turned out good? Oh.. I have to hit the thumbnail... ..

Gingerbread on the S2 had a review feature. When the S2's were updated to ICS that feature went away.... why?

Three: Copy from a text NOT already sent. Instead of using the blue thingy to highlight what I want, Gingerbread would allow me to open a window while compossing a text (not sent) give me a select, select all, copy Feature. ICS & Jellybean...ugh...

I have compared oranges and apples with my stock rooted S2 with Gingerbread.
When they took away scrolling wallpaper it was enough for me to seek down the original stock software.
Momma always said if ain't broke don't fix it.
Yes I know there are roms and apps that will allow for that, i am not a fan of those. I want what originally worked. Plain and simple.

If any you know a Gingerbread ROM for the samsung Note 2, I would almost be willing to put that on there. ICS & Jellybean are not doing it for me. =(

Upvote 0
Add me to the list of users who are hating this "feature".

I just upgraded from a HTC EVO 4G to the S3, too late to return it though.

I use the photo viewer/editor software ACDSee Pro on my PC and laptop.
With my EVO 4G connected via USB, I could browse, edit, modify and organize the photos that were on that phone. No need to transfer to my computers first. This is really valuable when you take multiple photos of the same thing, and are trying to pick out the best image for editing. Also, with my ~50 year old eyes, even the nice screen on the S3 is no comparison to being able to view and manipulate the images on a big PC display. Being able to edit and organize the photos on the phone in this manner is a necessity for me.

Unfortunately, just like everyone else, the only thing I can see when using ACDSee (or Explorer or another image editor) and connected via a USB cable is the standard "JPG" icon, no thumbnails or images. Thinking about going back to my EVO 4G now since I have not yet sold it.

Upvote 0
So I thought I would stop back in here to see if anyone figured out a way to display thumbnails on the computer. Looks like no go for the S3.

I have noticed that thumbnails seem to be a problem in general for the S3. When I use AllCast to view photos on my laptop over the network it won't display the thumbnails.

When I use DLNA to view photos on my TV using the Pixel DMS app I can't see the thumbnails.

I wonder if I have a corrupted thumbnail database? I guess not since it seems to work on the phone just fine.

Upvote 0
So I thought I would stop back in here to see if anyone figured out a way to display thumbnails on the computer. Looks like no go for the S3.

I have noticed that thumbnails seem to be a problem in general for the S3. When I use AllCast to view photos on my laptop over the network it won't display the thumbnails.

When I use DLNA to view photos on my TV using the Pixel DMS app I can't see the thumbnails.

I wonder if I have a corrupted thumbnail database? I guess not since it seems to work on the phone just fine.

It is not a problem with the S3. Google remove Mass Storage mode from the OS. The only way is to root the phone and get the app called SGS3 Easy UMS. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1711009.

Also you can use AirDroid and the web browser of choice without root. https://play.google.com/store/apps/...t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5zYW5kLmFpcmRyb2lkIl0.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones