• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Windows Phone 7 Looking Better Than Android?

Upvote 0
MS has two major advantages over the android platform.

#1: A clean start with almost zero fragmentation. Not only does android have many flavors (1.5, 1.5, 2.01, 2.1) but it has a fairly broad range of hardware (different resolutions, RAM, CPUs, GPUs, etc...). Android developers are usually forced to develop for the lowest common denominator. WM7 devs can take full advantage of hardware/software features because all the platforms will be similar. This is a major reason why the iPhone has been so successful.

#2: A wealth of development tools and experience. Let's face it, eclipse/java can't hold a candle to VS in terms of development time and options.

So we might see MS develop an app store full of good looking apps very rapidly.

Don't get me wrong - I love my droid, but after doing some android development projects I find myself looking more and more towards WM7.

Upvote 0
DX9, DivX, and XBL integration, as well as the Zune HD interface for music.

That's cool, but I don't know. It seems like the phone manufacturers are dead set agains making a device which truly does it all. For all that one may get with Win7, one loses others:

Windows Phone 7 series – the bad news

No true multi-tasking, except for special hub apps like Pandora.
Marketplace is the only way to install apps, except for developers, beta versions and enterprise.
No removable storage.
No file system

Upvote 0
That's cool, but I don't know. It seems like the phone manufacturers are dead set agains making a device which truly does it all. For all that one may get with Win7, one loses others:

Windows Phone 7 series – the bad news

No true multi-tasking, except for special hub apps like Pandora.
Marketplace is the only way to install apps, except for developers, beta versions and enterprise.
No removable storage.
No file system

Upvote 0
To me,I think imma have to pass on the "new" winmo concept.I think the UI that ppl are describing as you unique is more like ridiculous.I want UI selection and its gotta look good.Sorry but that UI in the vids look terrible but thats me.and like how others describe it,if it has the very same lockdown nature that iPhone has,imma have to give it the big ol pass.if i wanted lockdown i would easily have gone to an iPhone for a "proven" winner in the lockdown dept.thankfully,i like freedom.The Xbox live thing would be nice,if i cared for the 360.but i dont(something about buying a system for a hefty price and having to continually shell out money for....things that should be standard?!).all in all i hope those who choose to seek out the winmo phones do it for the right reasons.not cuz its "NEW" or "has potential".having potential and actually doing something with it are 2 seperate things(ps3,zune,prius,my unemployed but gorgeous gf)(thats between us people lol).get winmo cuz it has what you want and need and not cuz of what it could have or hype.personal experiences...

Upvote 0
Well in all honesty if Microsoft keeps up with the apps on the Windows 7 phone like they do the ZuneHD they will have no apps at all, but being a ZuneHD owner I am hoping they will start rolling out the apps for both the Windows 7 phone and ZuneHD if they pretty much forget about the ZuneHD this will be my last run with it, but as you can tell by me owning a ZuneHD I am used to having no apps. However Android seems like they are doing pretty well to me. I mean they may not have those cool apps I can use a couple times and show off to friends, but I can show off my hacks just as well. Android will keep things coming and with the open market system keep them coming fast.

edit: I watched the video and I don't like how anything on that phone looks. Not even a slight bit. The facebook app just looks dumb. The keyboard looks weird. The hub is just an overall bad idea. Theres nothing about it that made me go "OH COOL!" It all looks generic and bland. Now I know this is a prototype, but I am stating my opinion.

Upvote 0
Just checked out the video on the Windows 7 site, and I am not impressed. I mean, it looked good, but just don't care for the overall layout. My view may be a little tarnished in that I have never liked Microsoft programs (aside from Office) very much compared to 3rd-party equivalents. I've never found them to be very intuitive and for the most part lack features I was always able to find in almost any 3rd party program. My experience with the PocketPC which had Windows Mobile was a joke, and though Windows Phone 7 is entirely different, I think it will be more of the *same*.

That said, Android is still in its infancy, but it is so customizable and there are enough resources out there in spite of Android's infancy either through rooting and the use of custom roms, or through the 2.1 update and the Android Market that most wants and needs can be met. Sure, I'm jealous of the Netflix streaming app, but as Android continues to grow, it will get its share of enviable apps as well. Besides, as soon as 2.1 hits with Flash 10, the Netflix app won't be necessary... we can just go to Netflix.com and stream whatever we want. So, I'm sticking with my Droid.

Upvote 0
Well, i don't like the UI at all. I'm not sure what everyone is getting excited about. (no offense meant, I just don't think its that ground breaking). It's a bunch of boxes...ok "tiles"...but they take up to much space and are just square boxes on top of one another.

I like the concept of xbox live integration...but in reality I would not use it that often. I don't play arcade games that often, and even if I did, that would not be a major selling factor. I like playing games with a controller.

It's great they're changing things up, and the lock screen in pretty, (so is the one on my droid though) but I thought the video was funny. I like the Microsoft marketing..."when people go in the store, they will say, "I want a Windows phone!". lol. ok. and..."NOW we're designing with the END USER in mind!" um...you mean for all this time you HAVEN'T been designing with that in mind?!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones