• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Winner if both WIFI and Network are enabled?

resander

Lurker
Oct 19, 2012
I am a total beginner with cell phones. Have Android 2.3.

I have enabled WIFI and also Network internet data from system settings.
How does the Android phone decide which source to use for the internet data if both signals are present? Let's say I travel by bus through a town. Then there will be areas where wifi is strong and other areas where it is non-existent.

Ken

Usually Wifi will always be chosen, if it is a saved network. Otherwise it will default go to 3G / (4G LTE). Your phone will tell you if available Wifi networks are there though with a notification at the top of the screen.

Again though, if the Wifi network isn't saved it will not connect to it automatically once it is within range. I don't think there is an option to turn this on either.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Many Thanks Digital Controller,

I think I understand, but just to make sure...

We have Virgin Broadband here and connect PCs and laptops to internet via a Superhub modem&router. We typically get a list of ten or more wifi signals from the neighbourhood and can select our own with password or a public without password. The selected signal remains, i.e. is saved, and would be default next time the PC or laptop connects to WIFI. However, only one WIFI signal can be saved and automatically becomes the current signal until changed.

Does the above WIFI scenario also apply to Android for example when travelling on a bus? Does Android allow more than one signal to be registered? Useful when revisiting hotspots.

Upvote 0
First off it will only connect to one Wifi signal at a time, and the phone will automatically choose the strongest signal.

Within the Wifi Settings you can also have it prefer 3G to a weak/poor Wifi signal.

Example: You are in your house and you decide to save your network, but then you notice when you are in your basement that your neighbors signal comes in stronger than your own, and you connect to that...

Well from now on, your phone will switch between yours and your neighbors, depending on which is giving the strongest signal.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones