• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root wipe what?

magic1

May 18, 2010
I've done some rom hopping and have pretty much settled on xtr3.0.3. It seems very stable and trouble free. Whenever i've flashed a new rom however i've done a wipe beforehand. I can't remember the titles of each but there are four options under wipe. I do the first one (wipe data/factory reset) and im wondereding if and when i should use the other three. Also should i only do a wipe before flashing roms or periodically to keep the system clean?

The other wipes are to wipe the ext partition on an SD card - only applicable if you have partitioned your SD card to use apps2sd on the 2.1 ROMs that support it - and to wipe battery stats and to wipe the rotation sensor. I have never wiped the rotation sensor - rotation always seems to work fine for me - but some people find that the ROM that they install improperly tracks their battery usage, so wiping battery stats when the battery is full and then running it down to when it powers down when discharged too far resets what the phone thinks the battery capacity is.

Upvote 0
I've done some rom hopping and have pretty much settled on xtr3.0.3. It seems very stable and trouble free. Whenever i've flashed a new rom however i've done a wipe beforehand. I can't remember the titles of each but there are four options under wipe. I do the first one (wipe data/factory reset) and im wondereding if and when i should use the other three. Also should i only do a wipe before flashing roms or periodically to keep the system clean?

I do the three listed as factory, dalvik and sd:ext with every ROM flash.

Doing that removes one more possible source of problems that could find its way into the flash or with the system as installed.

You can taylor your wiping regiment to your particular circumstances, apps2sd partitioning, etc, but I don't even bother with that, knowing that the three wipes start me over with each ROM flash. ;)

If you want to preserve bookmarks, etc, there are apps and utilities available in Market for just that purpose, so that you can bring everything into the new ROM that you need from the old one. If it's a 2.2 you're going from and to another 2.2, you'll have other options for recovering things as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones