• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wirefly Review

Nice! Thank you for this!

EDIT:
Especially appreciated his comments on how his Wife who is a photographer said this is her favorite phone so far. Also, he keeps saying how absolutely beautiful the screen is. Which really makes me more confident in the rgb-qHD-LCD... Really exciting!!!

*snip* Moved to an appropriate topic.

EDIT #3:
LOL @ 9:40 he switches the 2d/3d slider to "turn on 3D for the video game". So does the switch really control 3D on the entire phone or just the camera? Confused again.

Upvote 0
Well on the positive it is a review; but not to whine not sure if it was a useful review...

As in his video when the phone is displaying 3d you can see the 3d layer; not sure how it looks in person. It was almost a polizarization effect so perhaps not that visible with naked eye.

Upvote 0
Thank you!

On a positive note the Camera quality for 2D looks absolutely amazing. As does the Video quality.

Also, he mentioned how beautiful the qHD-LCD was several times which greatly brought up my confidence in this department. Sense 3.0 look amazing, as always.

I thought the size comparison between the Evo 4G and the Evo 3D was cool. I think the 3D might be slightly easier to handle in your palm because of the slimmer profile.

I just love the Wirefly reviews. I always watch theirs first whenever I'm researching a new device. Their head-to-heads are my favorites as well. Bob Kovacs is great!

the guy should be trained not to navigate the phone with his middle finger. at least during a demo video.
I agree. I was taught when I was younger that was a BIG no no. It doesn't personally offend me but some people find it disagreeable.

Edited several posts of mine to re-sort them into the appropriate topics. Thank you for moving the posts.

Upvote 0
Nice video review. It's too bad that the file format the Evo 3D uses doesn't switch the video placement. For most people I know, it's easier to trick your eyes into viewing stereoscopic content by the "cross-eye viewing" rather than the "parallel eye viewing."

I was able to cross my eyes to watch the 3D video part, but because the video isn't swapped, everything is inverted. Ah well.

For me, the low light image quality verdict is still out... part of me wonders if the reviewer's wife has ever used an iPhone 4. I know I harp on it a lot, but the iPhone 4 camera's low light sensitivity is stellar for the fact that it's still a cell phone camera and not a fully camera-phone. I'd have to say, as good as my Evo 4G is, the camera and video quality have to be the most glaring of competitive deficiencies with the iPhone 4 (don't even get me started with the backwards MPEG-4 codec at 720p and the terrible 8-bit audio codec)

Upvote 0
As for Battery, I've been looking through the comments that the reviewer posted and he's had nothing but good things to say about it after a weekends use. That's good to hear :)
One thing struck me -- if he's not on the 3G network yet as he mentioned he was on Wifi during the review (perhaps a device as new as the Evo 3D cannot even be provisioned on the network), then we might not be looking at an accurate picture of battery life.

The 3G radio is certainly one of the things that sucks up the most juice.

Upvote 0
One thing struck me -- if he's not on the 3G network yet as he mentioned he was on Wifi during the review (perhaps a device as new as the Evo 3D cannot even be provisioned on the network), then we might not be looking at an accurate picture of battery life.

The 3G radio is certainly one of the things that sucks up the most juice.

That's very true. Good catch.

Upvote 0
It's too bad that the file format the Evo 3D uses doesn't switch the video placement. For most people I know, it's easier to trick your eyes into viewing stereoscopic content by the "cross-eye viewing" rather than the "parallel eye viewing."

This is like any side-by-side video I've ever seen. I don't think I could do it cross-eyed. Anyway, all youtube 3D content is like this, and so is any ripped 3D bluray.

Upvote 0
This is like any side-by-side video I've ever seen. I don't think I could do it cross-eyed. Anyway, all youtube 3D content is like this, and so is any ripped 3D bluray.
YouTube - Watch 3D Videos on YouTube

Random fact: After selecting for "No 3D device," you can set Youtube 3D for cross-eye (default), parallel, and others. I'm pretty sure the version here is parallel instead of cross-eye, as the cross-eye would likely not work with the parallax barrier 3D in the Evo.

Upvote 0
I shrunk down one of the 3D frames in the wirefly review (and widened it so the aspect ratio is correct) so that you guys can apply both cross-eye and parallel viewing techniques on it.

26101281q.jpg

For both viewing techniques, have your face about 12" from the screen. For parallel viewing, focus on something behind the monitor until the two images merge. For cross-eye, gently cross your eyes until the images merge.

To me, parallel viewing looks much more 3D. When looking at the actual phone, you won't need to apply either technique. It just appears 3D because the images align to the proper eye automatically.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones