• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wireless hardware problem

benkitcher

Lurker
Oct 30, 2009
Hi Everyone,

I've been a lurker on here for a little while now, picking up hints and tips as i go. I've happened on my first problem with my hero now though, and wondered if you guys can help before i send my phone back to CPWH for suspected hardware failure. I've tried searching, but this wireless issue seems fairly unique in that my phone has worked for a long time but now does not.

I've had my wireless working on the network at work since I got the phone (which was the first week the hero came out on orange uk, july maybe?) and all has been well. I have recently however experienced some frustrating anomalies. Symptoms are as follows;

1) Wireless will not turn on at all using either toggle widget or through settings menu any more. Sometimes will turn on, maybe works 1 try in 5. The phone almost locks up while trying to turn on the hardware, the widget continues to flash for a good while but not actually turn on. On the settings menu i will get a message saying "wireless cannot turn on right now" or something to that effect.

2) If it does turn on, it will connect to my preferred network and disable 3G, but loading web pages is very sporadic (will load maybe 1 in 10 pages tried)

3) Since this problem started, the phone has become totally unresponsive maybe 20 times, each time requiring a battery out restart.

To remedy the problem I've tried a factory reset several times with and without re-installing my old apps, and the problem persists.

Current build number is 2.73.405.5, updated from HTC site in september.

Has anyone come across similar problems?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Quick update;

I sent the phone off to HTC through the Carphone Warehouse a few weeks back and it has returned to me in the same condition. Their solution was to 're-load ROM to 2.73.405.5'!!!! I'd already told them i was sure it was hardware, and i've now been without the phone for a few weeks and am no better of for it :mad:

I'm going to go back in and demand a replacement there and then.

Cheers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones