1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Working OTG support

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ShapeShifter499, Mar 26, 2016.

1. ShapeShifter499

ShapeShifter499 Android Enthusiast

So I have finally gotten OTG to work! Was hard but in the end it was a ridiculously simple fix in the kernel source that got OTG working for the LG Volt. I compared other kernels for other devices that have the MSM8226 chipset and also have OTG. I found out that our LG Volt's kernel has everything required in place, but one line of code in the DTS or device tree files for our device that deliberately turns off OTG support. Why turn off such functionality in the kernel if everything else is already in place, who knows. What I do know is that OTG works now. Below is my compiled kernel, github, and video demonstrating OTG working. Hopefully the other rom developers can figure out the change and port it to the different roms that are for the LG Volt, maybe add it to TWRP as well.

Video is a bit longer than it should have been and kind of messy but it works in showing you OTG on the LG Volt. Shows a USB thumb drive working and a RTL-SDR dongle working.

Only for KitKat Stock or Debloated KitKat rom, like the one created by @Curtis1973
    volt_dos_OTG1.zip
    MD5: c8df7f1730eace0436a7e5a6ebed597e
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24459283995305288

You can see my one line edit at the Github
    https://github.com/ShapeShifter499/android_kernel_lge_voltdos

I want to credit @spock1104 and @whoshotjr2006 for their work on the kernel thus far. OTG support probably never would have happened for the LG Volt without their work.

#1 ShapeShifter499, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  2. Best Answer:
    Post #20 by SykkNyzz, Apr 17, 2016 (1 points)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

3. Curtis1973

Curtis1973 Android Expert

Sorry was late replying to you on this. Work had me tied up. Today has been first free day I have had in two weeks. Any way you got it I see. What functionality do you see it being useful for? I am not aware of otg to be honest.

4. DeltaXzombies

DeltaXzombies Well-Known Member

So I assume this will work fine with CM11 and won't cause and battery/performance differences?

5. dvdavid888

dvdavid888 Android Enthusiast

Stock rom only for now

6. DeltaXzombies

Ah ok. Good work either way :)

7. ShapeShifter499

No worries, I'm just happy I got OTG working at all.

OTG stands for On-The-Go and is a useful feature that allows you to connect USB devices to your phone via a special cable/adapter. It has so many uses that I can't list them all but here are a few examples.

Like I showed in the video above I was able to transfer files to a thumb drive and view them; great for being able to get copies of files from USB only sources quickly. Also like I showed I was able to use a DVB-T tuner as a Software Defined Radio on the LG Volt. Allows me to have a much more portable experience scanning around for interesting radio signals or even getting information during an emergancy/natural disaster when other sources could be offline. Many kinds of USB devices and Android specific OTG accessories now can be used.

#6 ShapeShifter499, Mar 27, 2016
  8. Bad_MOFO_33

Bad_MOFO_33 Android Enthusiast

9. SykkNyzz

SykkNyzz Android Enthusiast

So would it be a "standalone" kernel that can be flashed without reinstalling the ROMs?

10. DeltaXzombies

Dang I haven't seen you in awhile :p

ShapeShifter499 and HasH_BrowN like this.
  11. HasH_BrowN

HasH_BrowN Android Expert

@ShapeShifter499 I'm not really great with github, working strictly mobile at the moment. Would you please state what the edit was and of what file in the boot.img that it was?

Great work. I thought this would be possible (the OTG). I'll have to look on my other devices to see if this can be enabled as well.

ShapeShifter499 likes this.
  12. Bad_MOFO_33

Bad_MOFO_33 Android Enthusiast

@SykkNyzz yes it would be flashable through twrp. Maybe I'll update twrp to 3.0 this week. Just got to get motivated again.

ShapeShifter499 and dvdavid888 like this.
  13. HasH_BrowN

HasH_BrowN Android Expert

#13 HasH_BrowN, Mar 27, 2016
    ShapeShifter499 and Bad_MOFO_33 like this.
  14. ShapeShifter499

Would you be able to add OTG support to TWRP based off what I got?

HasH_BrowN likes this.
  15. andMego

andMego Android Enthusiast

Is the kernel you made the stock kernel with otg turned on or is it volt dos or something like that with otg turned on? Just curious. Thanks so much for getting it working and motivating other devs here.

16. ShapeShifter499

I turned on the OTG feature using @spock1104's volt dos source but it seems this code is in place from the beginning. So you should be able to download the LG original source from their open source site and start all over with a fresh stock source if you wanted then apply my one line edit to enable OTG.

HasH_BrowN, SykkNyzz and andMego like this.
  17. doggyworld

doggyworld Newbie

This is awesome! Thanks.. just tested it on my Volt running the debloated stock rom and it works great with my USB stick! Hopefully, I can get it to work with my xbox controller.

ShapeShifter499 likes this.
  18. ShapeShifter499

Let me know how it goes, I'm not sure if a extra driver needs to be compiled or not for XBox controller support.

19. ASJ80

ASJ80 Newbie

20. SykkNyzz

If it would be possible to incorporate the fix to the remix ROMs... You can modify them and we'll redo the posts... I ask BC I don't have a pc atm to do this

21. stuartdisco

stuartdisco Newbie

Hi, sorry, I just stumbled on this because I was searching for a way to activate OTG on my Volt. I have, I guess a stock Volt running 4.4.2. I think I had done something to get it rooted when I first got it. Can I make this one byte change manually in the kernel? I don't know much about android. Or do I need to flash something? Any info would be helpful.
    Thanks!

22. SykkNyzz

23. andMego

andMego Android Enthusiast

Why?

24. SykkNyzz

Because it was placed further back on the forums. I bumped it so it can be seen again.

LG Volt Forum

The LG Volt release date was May 2014. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon 400 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

May 2014
Release Date
Reviews