• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

World's First Electric Flying Car Gets Certified

Interesting... I wonder what sort of propulsion system the car uses? Does it take a pilot license to operate? What little I know about the FAA is that they are very protective of air space. Do you file a flight plan? Are flight instruments required? Flight communication equipment? I can't see a person zipping across town in the air. The FAA won't let me do that with my little drone.

Upvote 0
All the propellers/fans are internal. And apparently it's supposed to lift a payload of 100kg. Which probably means it can take one adult, provided they're not overweight.

I suppose one would require a VTOL pilot license to legally fly it in air-spaces. Drone licenses are for unmanned remote piloted aircraft AFAIK.

Last edited:
Reactions: AugieTN and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Interesting... I wonder what sort of propulsion system the car uses? Does it take a pilot license to operate? What little I know about the FAA is that they are very protective of air space. Do you file a flight plan? Are flight instruments required? Flight communication equipment? I can't see a person zipping across town in the air. The FAA won't let me do that with my little drone.

I guess you'd be using VFR only, not IFR. And with VFR you must have good visibility, to whatever the metrological conditions required by the FAA for the aircraft type.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
There is a question of altitude in my mind. Air space has different altitudes for different directions of travel. Can they just fly willy-nilly or do they adhere to flying over given highways and roads? All military bases have no fly zones and so do airports. I discovered that as rural as Kansas is, the areas where I can legally fly a drone are quite limited without permission. I'm not dogging the tech. I think flying cars will be cool if they can be closely regulated so that normal air traffic isn't hindered... and everyone remains safe as possible.

Reactions: AugieTN and mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones