• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would like to use my tmobile phone sim in a tablet

ucladave

Lurker
Feb 14, 2013
I have a Tmobile value plan with 2gb unlimited data. I am currently using it in an HTC MyTouch 4g phone. When I travel, I would like to be able to put that sim card into a tablet and access my 2gb of data, whether that be web browsing or watching netflix etc.

I know that this could be done in the original iPad, and I am wondering what tablets I could do this with. I would prefer an android tablet to an iPad (and I dont even know if this can still be done with the newer models anyway), ideally around 8" but open to the 10" or 7" versions as well.

I am most definitely a noob, and prefer something that will just work as I am fearful my lack of experience would lead to disaster rooting/flashing/etc.

Thanks in advance for your help, and please let me know if this thread would be more appropriately placed elsewhere.

Can't you WiFi tether using your HTC phone, or is T-Mobile going to clobber you an extra fee for that? The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 is available in a 3G version, that takes a SIM card.

You can use a 3G iPad, however that uses a micro-SIM rather than a standard one. So you'd have to trim your T-Mobile SIM down to size.

Yeah Tmobile charges $15 a month extra for tethering. Grrrr

So the galaxy tab 2 current model would work ok? I assume Id need the ATT version, but would there be any unlocking of the device Id need to do etc? Also, does that take a standard size sim? That would certainly be an advantage over a micro sim

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones