• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would this work? building computer

Actually, I set the HD as first (and only, if applicable, see below) to boot and use the boot menu to manually select the optical drive for booting - and disable any other devices that I know I won't need to boot off of (floppy,USB, etc.). And yes, using hte boot menu you can install Windows 7, but I cannot guarantee that it will work for all mobos.

IIRC, in some BIOSs you can disable all but a single device and then separately specify the other devices that you will allow to boot via the boot menu as well.

Finally, PW protect your BIOS - it's weak protection at best, but it is protection, especially from remote hackers, b/c many modern mobo manufacturers include some sort of BIOS config utility that can be run from inside of Windows, so...of course if they gain physical access to your mobo, it is moot, b/c a simple BIOS reset and they're off to the races...

Reactions: Sainix
Upvote 0
Ok kool ty guys for the info on that, yea ill make sure to add a pass to it then for sure.
pretty much from what i was reading the ram was the only thing im going to have to config i saw the reviews on the ram also and amd users all had to adjust in bios so ill figure that out.

To be honest im not to sure all the other stuff you said made sense johnlgalt so ill have to read that over agian im just getting out of a study session lol so that could be why hahaha lil drained.

got my case power supply and hard drive today 2 days only for shipping so that was nice, very happy with it all.

waiting to see some more combo deals to grab the rest of my stuff.

if you guys have any suggestions for dvdr or cooling or anything else i would love to hear

=] cant wait to do my very first build haha

Upvote 0
You know you're a build addict when....

You already start planning upgrades before all your parts have arrived for your first build....

been building machines for 15+ years, it never gets old.

LOl i cant stop thinking about it all the time haha, i like dream of it. my gf just keeps calling me a nerd :cool:

May i ask what do you do as your job? or just 15 years+ personal

i am going to school for computer sci right now.

Upvote 0
Can anyone help me with some motherboard questions i have, i am trying to understand what exactly some parts mean and what they are used for i kinda think i know a few of them but i would like to understand it better since im buying the mobo next.

FSB? what does it do

North Bridge what do i want or what does it mean on a mobo?

Memory Standard is there a type i want to make sure when buying a mobo?

To reach DDR3 1866MHz or above, you must install two memory modules and install them in the DDR3_3 and DDR3_4 memory sockets. What does this mean?

PCI Express 2.0 x16 is this used for the graphics card? not exactly sure.

1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4) what does that mean?

SATA RAID why would i want this?

2 x PCI Express x1 slot (The PCIEX1_2 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX4 slot.) what does this mean?

Ty guys this is what i was reading and am just having truble exactly understanding and you guys seem to know a lot and explain it very well.

Upvote 0
fsb-front side bus...data between cpu and nb-faster in general is better to a point.

north bridge/NB(amd gets kinda confusing on this though)-control's cpu, memory etc

am3 memory standard is ddr3..there are some boards that can take ddr3/ddr2

1866-amd memory controllers are weak. two of the slots can go over 1333 and technically its an OC. forget about running 4 sticks at those speeds.

pcie x16-yes vid card

many reasons for raid. on a home rig you'd prob only be interested in the speed boost. need twin hdd's but it's hard on the drives. ssd's gain crazy speeds but cost wise= :(

the board only has so many pci lanes to give(vid card, other slots, sata etc). you won't have an issue so nothing to really worry about.

Upvote 0
LOl i cant stop thinking about it all the time haha, i like dream of it. my gf just keeps calling me a nerd :cool:

May i ask what do you do as your job? or just 15 years+ personal

i am going to school for computer sci right now.

Nah, I worked in hte actual IT industry for 15+ years, a variety of companies, from a small ISP call center to working for IBM's Global Services.

Now I am a full time student - Just got my Bachelor's in Computer Science, and am now in a Master's of Biotechnology program while also finishing a second Bachelor's program in Mathematics.

Yeah, I call myself a geek before anyone can call me a nerd, but a few of them still do. But that is the life - I am always looking at cost effective ways upgrade, and right now I'm at my limit - I could install more RAM, but he OCZ ReaperX Hyper series I have are too bulky to allow RAM in the other 2 slots, so I would have to replace them - and on a Q6600 it's pointless, I'd get much better performance (if I had the money) to get the X58 mobo, 6 / 12 GB DDR3 and new PSU to go with the 965 EE I have sitting here all lonely 'cause I'm a full time college student and thus always broke. LOL.

Ahh, well. I can still search and drool.

Upvote 0
Nah, I worked in hte actual IT industry for 15+ years, a variety of companies, from a small ISP call center to working for IBM's Global Services.

Now I am a full time student - Just got my Bachelor's in Computer Science, and am now in a Master's of Biotechnology program while also finishing a second Bachelor's program in Mathematics.

Yeah, I call myself a geek before anyone can call me a nerd, but a few of them still do. But that is the life - I am always looking at cost effective ways upgrade, and right now I'm at my limit - I could install more RAM, but he OCZ ReaperX Hyper series I have are too bulky to allow RAM in the other 2 slots, so I would have to replace them - and on a Q6600 it's pointless, I'd get much better performance (if I had the money) to get the X58 mobo, 6 / 12 GB DDR3 and new PSU to go with the 965 EE I have sitting here all lonely 'cause I'm a full time college student and thus always broke. LOL.

Ahh, well. I can still search and drool.

Dam thats tight =p ive always loved computers so thats why i Majored comp sci, first time i can say i cant wait to get back to class and learn 0.o haha.

Thats really kool that you have already been working in the IT industry, how did you start that out cause i know you said now your a full time student did you have any training before.

Yea the price on the x58 mobo are pretty up there ha.

Upvote 0
Bought this HDD as a combo Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

HDD came OEM no fancy box just in plastic and cardboard, What should come with a HDD cable wise, because i heard when you buy OEM sometimes you dont get cables for stuff you need 0.o? so i just want to make sure i have everything for it, what should come with a HDD

Here is a list of Mobo im trying to pick from, any advice would be great all 880

Newegg.com - ASRock 880G EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Newegg.com - ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Upvote 0
Bought this HDD as a combo Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

HDD came OEM no fancy box just in plastic and cardboard, What should come with a HDD cable wise, because i heard when you buy OEM sometimes you dont get cables for stuff you need 0.o? so i just want to make sure i have everything for it, what should come with a HDD

Here is a list of Mobo im trying to pick from, any advice would be great all 880

Newegg.com - ASRock 880G EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Newegg.com - ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

You should get all the wires you'll need from whatever mobo you go with. My Gigabyte mobo came with a bunch of assorted wires.

Upvote 0
Dam thats tight =p ive always loved computers so thats why i Majored comp sci, first time i can say i cant wait to get back to class and learn 0.o haha.

Thats really kool that you have already been working in the IT industry, how did you start that out cause i know you said now your a full time student did you have any training before.

Yea the price on the x58 mobo are pretty up there ha.

I trained myself. My first real computer was a TI 99-4/A, back when I was 12 (this was the very early 80s), then I got a Tandy 1000 EX - that puppy came with TandyDOS 2.11 (a clone of MS-DOS, rebranded) that I quickly replaced with IBM DOS 3.1, then 3.2. It had a whopping 640K of base memory, no HD, dual 360K 5.25" floppies, and ...an RGB monitor and a Dot Matrix Printer.

Then I jumped into the world of 486s, then a Pentium 200 MHz, then a PII, then a Celeron Piii, then numerous P4s and then wen from the P4 3.2 GH (prescott?) to my current Q6600.

It's been a long trip, and I always upgrade something basically every quarter, but now I am itching to do a system makeover - my GTX260s are complaining about hte CPU being the major bottleneck here lol.

Along the way of learning this hardware, I also learned that I am very good at learning software packages, but even better at explaining things to other people, and thus began my venture into DT support (later called HelpDesk, then later split into Tiers,which I have done I, II and III).

Newegg.com - ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

like he said wires come with the mobo(as long as its retail)

flip a coin between the gigabyte and asus. asrock has gotten a lot better but i would take a gigabyte and asus over asrock all day.

Zactly. I'd probably go Gigabyte myself, as I have never done Asus, but they're highly reputable, and I have had Gigabytes abruptly fail, so...

Personally, I do eVGA myself - the Step-up program is awesome, means I cn buy a cheaper board now, then pay basically the difference and upgrade within 90 days.

The flip a coin comment made my day lol =p

Yea i am leaning toward the Asus mobo over the gigabyte.

Your choice - enjoy whichever one you pick!

Upvote 0
I trained myself. My first real computer was a TI 99-4/A, back when I was 12 (this was the very early 80s), then I got a Tandy 1000 EX - that puppy came with TandyDOS 2.11 (a clone of MS-DOS, rebranded) that I quickly replaced with IBM DOS 3.1, then 3.2. It had a whopping 640K of base memory, no HD, dual 360K 5.25" floppies, and ...an RGB monitor and a Dot Matrix Printer.

Then I jumped into the world of 486s, then a Pentium 200 MHz, then a PII, then a Celeron Piii, then numerous P4s and then wen from the P4 3.2 GH (prescott?) to my current Q6600.

It's been a long trip, and I always upgrade something basically every quarter, but now I am itching to do a system makeover - my GTX260s are complaining about hte CPU being the major bottleneck here lol.

Along the way of learning this hardware, I also learned that I am very good at learning software packages, but even better at explaining things to other people, and thus began my venture into DT support (later called HelpDesk, then later split into Tiers,which I have done I, II and III).

Zactly. I'd probably go Gigabyte myself, as I have never done Asus, but they're highly reputable, and I have had Gigabytes abruptly fail, so...

Personally, I do eVGA myself - the Step-up program is awesome, means I cn buy a cheaper board now, then pay basically the difference and upgrade within 90 days.

Your choice - enjoy whichever one you pick!

Dam thats some old school stuff haha before my time =p , but that is tight as hell. I love learning about all this its just so fun to me.

Yea imma give Asus a try.

So ive been looking into raid and SSD ha. So raid boost the speed of your hard drives if im correct? an from what i could tell from a lot of the videos the ssd beat out the regular hdd on load times.

Do people name the comp they build i was just wondering cause as i looked around i saw like names above specs of the rigs.

What do you guys think about eyefinity running like 2-3 monitors?

Upvote 0
My current Gigabyte mobo came defective when I first ordered it but Newegg has a great RMA system so that was taken care of ASAP and they sent me a brand new one that was fully functioning. I had a Asus mobo in the past and that one was pretty awesome at the time too. I wouldn't really choose any other mobo besides Gigabyte and ASUS imo.

Yea imma give Asus a try.

So ive been looking into raid and SSD ha. So raid boost the speed of your hard drives if im correct? an from what i could tell from a lot of the videos the ssd beat out the regular hdd on load times.

Do people name the comp they build i was just wondering cause as i looked around i saw like names above specs of the rigs.

SSDs are too expensive at the moment. If you want to snag one, you can use that as your boot disk for OS then use your normal HDD for content (games, media, etc..). I personally would wait it out until they start releasing higher capacity drives for cheaper.

Upvote 0
My current Gigabyte mobo came defective when I first ordered it but Newegg has a great RMA system so that was taken care of ASAP and they sent me a brand new one that was fully functioning. I had a Asus mobo in the past and that one was pretty awesome at the time too. I wouldn't really choose any other mobo besides Gigabyte and ASUS imo.

SSDs are too expensive at the moment. If you want to snag one, you can use that as your boot disk for OS then use your normal HDD for content (games, media, etc..). I personally would wait it out until they start releasing higher capacity drives for cheaper.

yea i thinking waiting for the price to drop would be a smart idea.

i think my 6bs 1tb should be fine for now

Upvote 0
yeah if you can budget the ssd's they are nice...just one ssd you'll see a huge boost. they should be getting a lot cheaper by as early as next year.

and the reason most of us preach gigabyte/asus and newegg is not just because of the quality of the product it's because if something does go wrong you WILL be taken care of. there's always a chance to get a bunk board with anything theres just less likely of a chance with gigabyte and asus.

as far as eyefinity goes....this is my opinion...meh. it would just bother me too much to have big black bars between screens...i'd rather have one big lcd to play my games at 1080p. but thats just me. not to say there isnt an advantage of having multiple screens. say using one for the game and the other for chatting, multitasking, etc etc... .02

Upvote 0
yeah if you can budget the ssd's they are nice...just one ssd you'll see a huge boost. they should be getting a lot cheaper by as early as next year.

and the reason most of us preach gigabyte/asus and newegg is not just because of the quality of the product it's because if something does go wrong you WILL be taken care of. there's always a chance to get a bunk board with anything theres just less likely of a chance with gigabyte and asus.

as far as eyefinity goes....this is my opinion...meh. it would just bother me too much to have big black bars between screens...i'd rather have one big lcd to play my games at 1080p. but thats just me. not to say there isnt an advantage of having multiple screens. say using one for the game and the other for chatting, multitasking, etc etc... .02

yea from what i hear they are both extremely good brands

Yea for the eyefinity when i watch the vids of it i always am just thinking those bars must b a pain lol. but it does look kinda kool. for now imma just go with one nice one, any advice on monitors lol? for keyboard and mouse im going to probly go razor or logitech.

Upvote 0
So raid boost the speed of your hard drives if im correct?

In some configuations it can improve the read/write speed by striping the data across two or more drives. Other configurations are designed to improve reliability by introducing redundancy, so that if one drive in the array fails its data can be recreated from information stored on the remaining drives. With enough drives you can even have both.

an from what i could tell from a lot of the videos the ssd beat out the regular hdd on load times.

SSDs generally have much faster read speeds due to the lack of moving parts, so yes game loading times will be sllightly shorter. Paying the premium just for that though is imho pointless. Installing the OS to SSD is another matter - the benefits are noticed constantly.

Upvote 0
yea from what i hear they are both extremely good brands

Yea for the eyefinity when i watch the vids of it i always am just thinking those bars must b a pain lol. but it does look kinda kool. for now imma just go with one nice one, any advice on monitors lol? for keyboard and mouse im going to probly go razor or logitech.

funny thing is asus makes nice screens as well. i would also look at samsung and viewsonic. with monitors you want high resolution with low response time and good brightness. multiple inputs are nice as well. i actually spent the extra and went with one that double as a tv too. works well for my room.

dont go with razor...cheap pieces of crap. logitechs are awesome...i'm still using my g5 i bought ages ago. for keyboards logitech is first choice but also look at saitek. i've had my saitek for awhile now and it has worked beautifully.

Upvote 0
funny thing is asus makes nice screens as well. i would also look at samsung and viewsonic. with monitors you want high resolution with low response time and good brightness. multiple inputs are nice as well. i actually spent the extra and went with one that double as a tv too. works well for my room.

dont go with razor...cheap pieces of crap. logitechs are awesome...i'm still using my g5 i bought ages ago. for keyboards logitech is first choice but also look at saitek. i've had my saitek for awhile now and it has worked beautifully.

so with a monitor what would be the ideal resolution and response time, i knew that they matterd but ive never known how to look at them and know what exactly was good and what was bad. One that could double as a tv would be sick what kind is that lol sorry if that sounds noob as hell.

Well only reason i wanted razor was everyone always talks about them as the gamer item and the only thing really i liked from them was the Epic mouse for mmo keybinding. I like the Logitech keyboards so im going with that for sure, what are some nice gaming mouses that are not razor?

Upvote 0
so with a monitor what would be the ideal resolution and response time, i knew that they matterd but ive never known how to look at them and know what exactly was good and what was bad. One that could double as a tv would be sick what kind is that lol sorry if that sounds noob as hell.

Well only reason i wanted razor was everyone always talks about them as the gamer item and the only thing really i liked from them was the Epic mouse for mmo keybinding. I like the Logitech keyboards so im going with that for sure, what are some nice gaming mouses that are not razor?

most likely you'll find the reso at 1080p(although u might find one thats 1920x1200) and you want 5ms or below. the ones that work as a tv will say they have tuner. find most of them under television vs searching for monitor.

cheaper logitech gaming:

Newegg.com - Logitech MX 518 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical 1800 dpi Gaming Mouse

mid/high:

Newegg.com - Logitech G500 10 Buttons Dual-mode Scroll Wheel USB Wired Laser 5700 dpi Gaming Mouse

top dawg:

Newegg.com - Logitech G9x Black Two modes scroll USB Wired Laser 5700 dpi Gaming Mouse

they are all nice. the cheaper option only has 1800 dpi though. one thing when it comes to gaming with mouse/keyboard never go wireless :/ razors are notorious for being built cheap and breaking is the reason i say stay away....

Upvote 0
most likely you'll find the reso at 1080p(although u might find one thats 1920x1200) and you want 5ms or below. the ones that work as a tv will say they have tuner. find most of them under television vs searching for monitor.

cheaper logitech gaming:

Newegg.com - Logitech MX 518 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical 1800 dpi Gaming Mouse

mid/high:

Newegg.com - Logitech G500 10 Buttons Dual-mode Scroll Wheel USB Wired Laser 5700 dpi Gaming Mouse

top dawg:

Newegg.com - Logitech G9x Black Two modes scroll USB Wired Laser 5700 dpi Gaming Mouse

they are all nice. the cheaper option only has 1800 dpi though. one thing when it comes to gaming with mouse/keyboard never go wireless :/ razors are notorious for being built cheap and breaking is the reason i say stay away....

So lower ms the better then?

What would be a good dpi for mouse?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones