• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wow, the Edge is surprisingly cool.

If you think the Note Edge is cool, wait till Samsung make this.

Original article here.
I wonder what they will call such a beast.
Note Edge Tab
Note Edge Book.
Note Fold
Note Flip
Note Bender

:D

TS out

Yup. Only reason I consider the edge is dependent on subsidized pricing and whether I really want to use one of my upgrades. I likely will just stall time until this comes out.

Upvote 0
According to androidcentral, Sprint will be offering the Note Edge on easy pay for
$0 down and $35 a month over 24 months.
That brings the Sprint price to $840.
I was off by $10 since i predicted it would be about $850.

On AT&T it will be
$0 down $47.30 for 12 months or $39.42 for 18 months
That brings the price to $945.99

Due note: that on AT&T the Next 12 payment is based on a 20 month payback and the Next 18 is based on a 24 month payback, so those amounts above are what you pay to trade in and not pay off the device.

TS

Upvote 0
According to androidcentral, Sprint will be offering the Note Edge on easy pay for
$0 down and $35 a month over 24 months.
That brings the Sprint price to $840.
I was off by $10 since i predicted it would be about $850.

On AT&T it will be
$0 down $47.30 for 12 months or $39.42 for 18 months
That brings the price to $945.99

Due note: that on AT&T the Next 12 payment is based on a 20 month payback and the Next 18 is based on a 24 month payback, so those amounts above are what you pay to trade in and not pay off the device.

TS

If I were to get it, I'd do a subsidized deal. Only question right now is if I really want to do it though, since I'm perfectly happy with the Note 3 still. Going from the 2 to the 3, there were enough incentives (32gb internal, bigger screen, 1080p) for me to make the jump. For the Note 4, 4k isn't that important to me and the phone got physically taller, even if it's slightly less wide and thick. The Edge is in consideration because it's "unique" and limited quantity, but being closer to the width of the original Note kinda bothered me too.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Just read an article that states the Edge was suppose to have the curve edge on both sides of the phone and Samsung decided to just make the right side.

Also in the article it is mentioned that the upcoming Galaxy S6 will have curved edges on both sides of the phone.

Now, I can see the functionality of one side of the device, but having the other side also as a curved edge and I am left wondering why. It will be good for those that are left handed, but having the two sides curved would
1-make the main screen smaller
2-how many functions, controls, apps can one place on the screen before it is overkill.
3-How would you protect such a beast? with both sides curved, what kind of a case can be made that would show off the sides but protect the device.

Regardless, considering that I love the Edge (from the hour or so I played around with it) and will be getting it, if such a dual side curve beast does become reality, i am sure to probably get it.

Thoughts. Fire away.

TS out

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Just read an article that states the Edge was suppose to have the curve edge on both sides of the phone and Samsung decided to just make the right side.

Also in the article it is mentioned that the upcoming Galaxy S6 will have curved edges on both sides of the phone.

Now, I can see the functionality of one side of the device, but having the other side also as a curved edge and I am left wondering why. It will be good for those that are left handed, but having the two sides curved would
1-make the main screen smaller
2-how many functions, controls, apps can one place on the screen before it is overkill.
3-How would you protect such a beast? with both sides curved, what kind of a case can be made that would show off the sides but protect the device.

Regardless, considering that I love the Edge (from the hour or so I played around with it) and will be getting it, if such a dual side curve beast does become reality, i am sure to probably get it.

Thoughts. Fire away.

TS out

Curved edge on both sides actually would've made the edge more symmetrical, but for functionality, not too sure. Maybe for hiding appdrawer toolbar from the main homescreens, while in landscape?

Upvote 0
I still do wonder, as others have, if this doesnt take off and they dont get enough sales of this phone, will Samsung kick it to the curb? Plus, I want to know how timely will updates be? I know it comes with KitKat, but how long will it be stuck with KitKat?

They are only making one million phones worldwide, and we don't know if they are basing the sales of the Edge to see if they continue down that road. I think Samsung wants to go to flexible displays in the future, and this is their first commercial go at it. If updates are important to you, then you should be looking at the Nexus line.

Upvote 0
They are only making one million phones worldwide, and we don't know if they are basing the sales of the Edge to see if they continue down that road. I think Samsung wants to go to flexible displays in the future, and this is their first commercial go at it. If updates are important to you, then you should be looking at the Nexus line.

Technically, the Galaxy round was the first bent display. They (Samsung) already mentioned that the edge was concept, based on what they showed in CES 2012.

Foldable devices are where they want to be eventually, but it is still TBD of they make it to the end of
2015 production like Samsung had mentioned last year.

Upvote 0
Technically, the Galaxy round was the first bent display. They (Samsung) already mentioned that the edge was concept, based on what they showed in CES 2012.

Foldable devices are where they want to be eventually, but it is still TBD of they make it to the end of
2015 production like Samsung had mentioned last year.

Yes, the round was the first bent display, but it was useless. The Edge makes use of the edge display.:)

Upvote 0
Yes, the round was the first bent display, but it was useless. The Edge makes use of the edge display.:)

Yeah, I never mentioned (nor did you) anything about the usefulness, just pointing out that the Round was their first go at having a bent/curved display...LOL. But I agree, the round was such a gimmick. I think that was used as an initial test, to see how the bent/curved display would do in a real world setting. Now, the Edge is another "test" (beta), to see if it will actually sell and how popular it will be w/ actual functionality. If the Edge does do well, then it's possible they'll go that route with the S6, to make a drastic enough change, and then hopefully have the folding form factor ready for the Note 5. Now, if the Edge doesn't sell well (even with the limited quantity), they could re-tool their plans. I think the Edge represents what the original Note did (test/beta, to see how the public takes to it). I'm crossing my fingers that it sells well because I really want a folding phone/tablet w/ S-pen integration. My Note 8 has been starting to get on my nerves with the 16gb internal (10gb usable).

Upvote 0
I don't get how these folding phones will work with fold lines being visible. Quite liked the roll back screen being touted a couple of yrs ago which extended the main one but if it's a display only screen I don't see the point.

According to an article on phone arena, Samsung has already started testing their patent, with thousands of folds and no issues of creases.

Upvote 0
Where there's smoke, there's fire...I'm definitely holding off on the Edge. I will save my upgrade for the 2015 folding devices (whoever is first), as well as any follow-ups. By July, I'll have 2 upgrades to use, so I hope everything does shape up to have commercially available products by then. Whether it's Samsung, LG, or another OEM, I want to have 2 of those bad boys as soon as they are available.

Foldable smartphones, tablets get closer to reality - FOX 32 News Chicago

Upvote 0
In my continue search of everything and anything Edge, I came across this youtube video that showcases Youm flexible displays.

What is interesting about the video is..
1-It came out in Aug, 2013.
2-at time index 4:15 you see a bunch of devices and behind the guy is a Note Edge device. It's actually a Note 3 with the bend display which he shows more in detail at time index 5:07.
3-at time index 5:58 you see in the background a fold-able phone that turns into a tablet. It is shown in detail at time index 6:47.

TS

Upvote 0
In my continue search of everything and anything Edge, I came across this youtube video that showcases Youm flexible displays.

What is interesting about the video is..
1-It came out in Aug, 2013.
2-at time index 4:15 you see a bunch of devices and behind the guy is a Note Edge device. It's actually a Note 3 with the bend display which he shows more in detail at time index 5:07.
3-at time index 5:58 you see in the background a fold-able phone that turns into a tablet. It is shown in detail at time index 6:47.

TS

TS...That was actually from CES 2013 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3E7fUynrZU

I had posted that video so many times. When I saw that the Edge was actually brought to commercial release, I knew the folding phones wouldn't be far behind, especially since Samsung had made statements that folding phone/tablet devices were targeted for 2015. Still remains to be seen, if they can meet their deadline, but ever since they had that mock video at CES 2013, I knew that's what I wanted next (and actually, it's part of the reason I wasn't even planning on getting the Note 3, until I found out that it would offer at least 32gb minimum, here in the US).

I seriously hope that they are just prepping to have the folding devices to be released for general consumer sales next year.

Upvote 0
Funny, I don't remember seeing it before and if I did, I didn't make the connection. Duh on me. lol

TS

No worries. I think I first mentioned it, when someone was talking about Samsung's YOUM displays, in the Sprint Phone discussion thread. This was shortly after I had purchased the Note 2. Since I was loving that experience already, I started doing some digging on their YOUM technology and it was already being toyed with back in 2010.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY_ADCTBKVE

That's why I knew they had to be way closer to production ready. The Round was the first sign, but a 'bit confusing cuz I didn't really see the value of that prototype. Then, when the Edge came out as a definitive production model...I actually might have been 100% on board if they offered the 64gb and had bent screen on both sides (to make for a more compact feeling, while still having 5.5-5.6 screen). But that 2010 youtube clip, from a Japan Tech show...5 years sounds about right, to get an actual production model going.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones