• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wow, the Edge is surprisingly cool.

Sorry, getting all of these releases mixed up since I am keeping an eye out for the Edge and the N6.

So the Edge is supposed to be at carriers now?

Edge and Nexus 6 have a joint release on Friday for Sprint.

T-mobile edge release is Friday, Nexus 6, 19th from what I remember.

I believe ATT edge is Friday also, but not sure bout nexus 6

Upvote 0
You know I was going to get the Nexus 6 to replace my Samsung Mega, Keep the Note 4 and probably give it to my spouse and get the Note Edge as my main device, but after reading that review on AnandTech on the Nexus 6, I have changed my mind.

I'm still in shock over that review. So darn glad I have a Note 4.
2 more days till the Note Edge. I can't wait.

TS

Upvote 0
You know I was going to get the Nexus 6 to replace my Samsung Mega, Keep the Note 4 and probably give it to my spouse and get the Note Edge as my main device, but after reading that review on AnandTech on the Nexus 6, I have changed my mind.

I'm still in shock over that review. So darn glad I have a Note 4.
2 more days till the Note Edge. I can't wait.

TS

What was the deciding factors(s) from that review that's steering you away from the NEXUS 6?

I didn't think a NEXUS phone held much interest for you,kinda surprised you were considering it.......

Myself,I'd go back to another OPPO or 1+1 running CYANOGENMOD before selecting a NEXUS device,for myself,a nice balance of performance & features.

As for the EDGE,main reason I chose not to get it was impatience & possible lack of wireless charging/development support.
The extra .20" in width was a consideration as well,otherwise a really cool phone to pick up,perhaps sometime down the road........ ;)

Upvote 0
What was the deciding factors(s) from that review that's steering you away from the NEXUS 6?

I didn't think a NEXUS phone held much interest for you,kinda surprised you were considering it.......

Myself,I'd go back to another OPPO or 1+1 running CYANOGENMOD before selecting a NEXUS device,for myself,a nice balance of performance & features.

As for the EDGE,main reason I chose not to get it was impatience & possible lack of wireless charging/development support.
The extra .20" in width was a consideration as well,otherwise a really cool phone to pick up,perhaps sometime down the road........ ;)
hmmm I thought I did mention it previously (somewhere in AF) that I wanted to replace my Galaxy Mega with a device as big but more up to date in specs.

My goal is to get the Edge, I couldn't wait so I got the Note 4 in the meantime. That will go to spouse once I get the Edge (hopefully tomorrow). The Mega was always my back up device and I wanted something more up to date.

As for my reasons, well, lets see. I was going to ignore the fact that the Nexus does not have an sd card and also going to ignore the fact that Sprint is only going to offer the 32GB version instead of the 64GB version. So that leaves me with specs, feel, OS. Currently it is true, N6 is much better than my Mega, (actually anything is at this point), but no where near as good as my Note 4.

Out of all the tests done over at AnandTech, 20 out of 34 the Note 4 came ahead of the Nexus 6. That says a lot. Granted, controlled tests are never a good measure of real world experience but it adds credence to my point I'll make below.

If the Nexus was at around $300 then okay, maybe, just maybe I'll get it, but for a commanding price of over $600 I would expect commanding features and specs to blow everyone else out of the water. It just proves my theory/point that Google is turning the Nexus line into a beta offering rather than showcasing the very best of what Google, Android is capable of. And I haven't even touched on them refusing to use a sd card crap even though the OS has been fixed to support it. I've said it over and over, the Nexus line should represent the very best of Android and Google including sdcards, multi-window, stylus support, etc etc. Especially if it is already in the underlying code.

Granted, it has Lollipop and ART, but apparently it didn't help the Nexus blow the Note 4 out of the water. Say what one will about Samsung and its over used Touchwiz, gimmicky features, stylus, plastic and so on, they really have produced a very well made and capable device in the Note 4.

So yea, I can get the overpriced, over hyped, Nexus 6 assuring me I'll get speedy up to the minute OS as my backup phone or stay with the Note 4 with Touchwiz, S-Pen, etc as the backup phone and get the Note Edge as the primary.

TS out

Upvote 0
The feature-lacking nature of the NEXUS line-up is why I was surprised you were looking at it,at any price.

Loaded-up a TOUCHWIZ ROM for the 1st time (on any device) early this morning on the NOTE 4:
Night & day performance-wise vs stock,wish I'd pursued this route w/the GALAXY S3 & NOTE 3.........

I think I've finally got my hands on a device that has the best of both worlds: Features & Performance. :D

The EDGE should be a beast,especially while running a nice TW ROM.

As for a MEGA replacment,I was gonna suggest the 1+1,but,I just now caught myself (compatibility) & see how the N6 was the perfect fit in that scenario. ..........

Upvote 0
hmmm I thought I did mention it previously (somewhere in AF) that I wanted to replace my Galaxy Mega with a device as big but more up to date in specs.

My goal is to get the Edge, I couldn't wait so I got the Note 4 in the meantime. That will go to spouse once I get the Edge (hopefully tomorrow). The Mega was always my back up device and I wanted something more up to date.

As for my reasons, well, lets see. I was going to ignore the fact that the Nexus does not have an sd card and also going to ignore the fact that Sprint is only going to offer the 32GB version instead of the 64GB version. So that leaves me with specs, feel, OS. Currently it is true, N6 is much better than my Mega, (actually anything is at this point), but no where near as good as my Note 4.

Out of all the tests done over at AnandTech, 20 out of 34 the Note 4 came ahead of the Nexus 6. That says a lot. Granted, controlled tests are never a good measure of real world experience but it adds credence to my point I'll make below.

If the Nexus was at around $300 then okay, maybe, just maybe I'll get it, but for a commanding price of over $600 I would expect commanding features and specs to blow everyone else out of the water. It just proves my theory/point that Google is turning the Nexus line into a beta offering rather than showcasing the very best of what Google, Android is capable of. And I haven't even touched on them refusing to use a sd card crap even though the OS has been fixed to support it. I've said it over and over, the Nexus line should represent the very best of Android and Google including sdcards, multi-window, stylus support, etc etc. Especially if it is already in the underlying code.

Granted, it has Lollipop and ART, but apparently it didn't help the Nexus blow the Note 4 out of the water. Say what one will about Samsung and its over used Touchwiz, gimmicky features, stylus, plastic and so on, they really have produced a very well made and capable device in the Note 4.

So yea, I can get the overpriced, over hyped, Nexus 6 assuring me I'll get speedy up to the minute OS as my backup phone or stay with the Note 4 with Touchwiz, S-Pen, etc as the backup phone and get the Note Edge as the primary.

TS out

TS...you forgot one important factor, you missed being part of the Note community praising the S-pen capabilities!...LOL.

In all seriousness, it doesn't surprise me that you made a logical and well thought out decision. If you were an average user, then maybe those points wouldn't be as much a factor, but even with the overdone TouchWiz, I agree with your stance on Samsung. People can criticize their use of plastic in the past and even their implementation of metal now, but the fact that general consumers, as well as tech addicts (like ourselves) consider their products says a whole lot.

You know for me, it's always come down to the hardware and software that will suit my needs the best and have the least amount of limitation. And, were it not for the Note series, I may have never come back to giving Samsung a chance, but I am very glad that I did with the Note 2.

Now, the one thing that was criticized on Phandroid about the Nexus 6 (the midnight blue color), I think makes it such a unique looking device as compared to past Nexus devices. Of course, I do have a little bias, since that's my favorite color. I'd definitely have swooped up a Midnight Blue Note 4 or Note Edge, if that color was offered, even if my main goal is to replace both my Note 8 tablet and Note 4 with a folding Note device (eventually...hopefully).

Upvote 0
TS...you forgot one important factor, you missed being part of the Note community praising the S-pen capabilities!...LOL..
Well i did mention stylus. Even though that word strikes fear to those with Apple, much like phablet strikes fear to my ears. lol

I just find it funny how so many blasted Samsung over the use of plastic backs and yet when the glory hole of a nexus comes out with a plastic back, they are all gaga goo goo over it. I swear we Android enthusiasts are a picky bunch.

One day, one day there will be a Nexus device that will have everything under the Sun but today is not that day.

TS

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
One day, one day there will be a Nexus device that will have everything under the Sun but today is not that day.
TS

Since pricing considerations got sucked out the window in Tornado-Style fashion,perhaps next year we'll see something added (I/R-Blaster & SDCard slot seem like the obvious,IMHO).

I wouldn't bet a nickel on getting both next year,maybe one,but,definitely not both,gotta leave ya wanting more for the next go-around....... ;)

Upvote 0
Well i did mention stylus. Even though that word strikes fear to those with Apple, much like phablet strikes fear to my ears. lol

I just find it funny how so many blasted Samsung over the use of plastic backs and yet when the glory hole of a nexus comes out with a plastic back, they are all gaga goo goo over it. I swear we Android enthusiasts are a picky bunch.

TS

Nail on the head, brother. Always something to gripe about. But therein also lies the beauty of Android and having lots of choices, vs. a single manufacturer.

Imagine, had Microsoft put a little more effort into the mobile area and had the foresight to partner up with Google early on, maybe we would have had the dual OS products that we have both been clamoring for, like the Samsung laptop/tablet that never got released running Windows and Android.

Upvote 0
aarrgghhhhh, damn it, damn it all to he11.

Apparently, my local corporate Sprint store here in ny sectionof NYC will not have the Note Edge on hand to for purchase. instead one has to go through online telesales or order it in the stores for arrival at a later date. aarrrgghhh

So close and yet so far.

TS

Which route are you opting for?
Tele-Sales (w/immediate order filling/shipping),look at other local brick & mortar stores,or,wait for in-store stock nearby?

Upvote 0
Which route are you opting for?
Tele-Sales (w/immediate order filling/shipping),look at other local brick & mortar stores,or,wait for in-store stock nearby?
Of all the stores i called one stated that they would have them this morning. So off i went and they told me nope, nothing came in. So I basically wasted my time going there.

It sucks mainly because I can only deal with the store since i am putting the phone on easy pay. Plus i have to do a EIN swap between a few devices. But it leaves me wondering how to go about doing that. Take for example the following scenario..

UpgradePath.png

Current Mega gets upgraded to Note Edge
Current Note 4 gets EIN swap to replace LG G2
Add line for Nexus 6 as back up device.

So I guess i can upgrade the mega online to the Edge, and order the Nexus as a new line and when they arrive at the store have them ein swap or do it all at the store (if they have both devices on hand). Decisions decisions. lol

and yes as you can tell, I have flipped flopped once again in regards to the Nexus 6. (I need mental help lol ) Read over in s4gru that its antenna is better than the Note 4 and that made me once again change my mind on it. Especially since I'll be using it as a backup and mainly hotspot for my laptop.

TS out (losing my mind)

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
and yes as you can tell, I have flipped flopped once again in regards to the Nexus 6. (I need mental help lol ) Read over in s4gru that its antenna is better than the Note 4 and that made me once again change my mind on it. Especially since I'll be using it as a backup and mainly hotspot for my laptop.
TS out (losing my mind)

Any chance you'll be getting the GEAR S?
Since the mind is already a lost cause............ ;)

Upvote 0
I have been searching everyday for Verizon details (ready to leave Sprint behind). Finally found a good article yesterday that said a couple of valid things. First a Verizon version of the phone has not gone through the FCC. There obviously can't be any action until that happens. The other valid point was that they just released the Droid Turbo which is their current signature phone. They would not release the Note Edge until after the 14 day return window from the release of the Turbo. Speculated that a release could come next week so as not to miss the start of the holiday shopping season. Of course there should be no expectation of deals even with the holidays.

Have not been as excited about a phone release since the original Droid Incredible release. Just need to decide if the inflated price is worth it.

u2gator

Upvote 0
Judging by the review of the Edge by mobiletechreview, (I posted the video in the other thread), the way she describes the device with its features in reference to the curved edge, to me sounds like it is worth the extra price. Especially if you consider (God I hate doing this) compare it to the iPhone 6+ which is priced about the same. But since the Edge has a microSD slot that can take up to 128GB cards, has the s-Pen and the Edge apps, I think it offers way more than the iPhone 6+.
Then add the fact that it really is only about $5 more on monthly payment plans (if one is going that route).

TS

Upvote 0
I don't think this has been mentioned,but,it looks like the VZW version just recently passed through the FCC,which usually means the actual release could be sooner than later...

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/11/19/verizon-note-edge-release/

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...ame=N&application_id=212096&fcc_id=A3LSMN915V

FWIW,I usually don't quote GOTTA BE MOBILE because their articles tend to drone on mercilessly & say absolutely nothing (new).
However,I haven't seen this posted anywhere else,so,on this rare occasion,I give em' their well-earned props. ;)

Upvote 0
I went out and got mine from AT&T yesterday (hot off the truck) and while I thought it looked and felt pretty cool, I didn't realize that I would truly get a lot of use out of the edge. It allows me to go with just 3 home screens. This device is gorgeous and there is nothing for me to complain about here. It's a little to early to comment on battery life but it's as least as good as my Note 3 I suspect. I am totally glad I went this way as I was going back and forth between it and the Note 4. My hubby got the N4 which is also a gorgeous device and since that was the last 4 in stock, it kind of decided for me. VERY HAPPY ROCKIN MY EDGE :D

Reactions: pcdebb and Torrid
Upvote 0
Well, I'm back with a dilemma. As I mentioned to both Kolio and Drex in another thread, my original idea was to replace the Galaxy Mega with the Note Edge, Note 4 would go to spouse and Nexus 6 as a backup device, but using my Note Edge for the last few days and getting it set up the way I want it (rooted, hotspot, icons etc) and I have to be honest, it totally blows away anything I've had previously. This device is something else. My spouse is starting to give hints of liking the Edge so I just may return the Nexus 6 (which I have yet to take out of the UPS box) and get another Edge. I'll just keep the Note 4 as the backup.
Maybe I'll change my mind once I take the Nexus 6 out of the box and play with it, (and see what all the pure Android hoopla is about) but so far the Note Edge and Note 4 (even with Touchwiz) is impressing me to no end and I love having the S-pen once again.

I did a quick write up of my first day with the note over here. Ironically in the notifications panel settings, there are not as many buttons as the Note 4.
Case in point...
Note 4 on the left, Note Edge on the right.

Screenshot_2014-11-21-23-3-small.png

If you scroll down, the Note 4 has more buttons, which the Note Edge does not.
Screenshot_2014-11-21-23-4-small.png

I am perplexed as to why the Note Edge has less notification panel buttons. Does any of you Edge owners have the same amount of buttons or more?

TS

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
My Edge notification panel looks just like yours. Is there something you would like to use in the Edge notification panel that is not there?
The following toggle are missing
Mobile Hotspot
Mobile Data,
S Beam,
Airview,
Air Gesture,
hands Free Mode,
Network restriction,
Smart network,
Download Booster, and
Reading Mode.

I was told that all of these toggles are available elsewhere in the settings as settings but not as a toggle.
i just find it easier to have all in one place, but eh I am not going to sweat it.
Of all those that are missing, The Mobile Hotspot, hands free Mode and Reading mode might be the ones that i would use.

TS

Upvote 0
Download Booster & Mobile Hotspot would be it for me.
The rest would be either seldom used or set it & forget it.

Just a quick ? regarding D/L Booster:
Anyone actually notice any real difference?

I've tried it on my NOTE 4 EDGELESS :p
& haven't seen any boost at all.
With both a strong data & WI-FI connection, all it seems to do is drop the WI-FI altogether & use data only...:( :eek:

Reactions: twospirits
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones