• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

x to the bionic anyone??

The pentile screen is the Bionics biggest downfall and what will have people waiting on the next best phone to come out.

I agree about the Bionic's screen not being better than some of the phone's out there but the battery life, signal stability, build quality, processor, RAM, accessories, ...etc will be attractive to most especially if it performs well as stock device.

I think most people can live with a pentile display. People coming from an X can appreciate those other aspects of the Bionic. I don't think current 4g non bionic owners will see it the same way since the other 4G phones are pretty good already.

Upvote 0
I agree about the Bionic's screen not being better than some of the phone's out there but the battery life, signal stability, build quality, processor, RAM, accessories, ....

just to inform, you guys know that when youre using the Bionic regularly that you arent using all 1gig of memory, right? Youre only using around 512mb of ram. the other 512 is dedicated to the webtop like the atrix. Also the upside of both the Bionic and the Droid 3 are the fact theyre using LPDDR2 ram. Truth be told i'd rather have 512megs of DDR2 ram in a phone than 1gig of slower crappier ram.

LOL, I guess youre obligated to say that but not many people will agree with that......

Truth be told im not obligated to say that. I've had a ton of phones. a few more than the list under my name can hold. I have also used all types of displays on phones. And dead serious, i like pentile. sure its not as sharp but the tech behind it is sound.

Upvote 0
I keep going to the verizon store looking at the charge, with my bionic in hand, every time I pick up the charge I say oh yeah its a Samsung device, I'll need to upgrade before my upgrades do, quality issues on Samsung don't compare to Moto, my x still works flawlessly and I got it on release day, don't even mind the locked bootloader

Upvote 0
I had an X rooted with GB Apex and loved it... but I had cracked my screen and was really waiting for a true upgrade to a dual core, 4g phone.

Bionic is super fast stock, so I can't wait to see some custom ROM support and the 4g is awesome and so far, the battery life hasn't been an issue. Obviously not as good as the X, but good enough for my daily life.

Reactions: xmr405o
Upvote 0
I went from the Droid X to the iPhone 4 and now the Bionic. LOL. It's been quite a while since I had the Droid X, but the Bionic so far is a much more satisfying phone.

They both have very good build quality. I thought I would not like the capacitive buttons as well, but I actually prefer them and they look nice. The overall design of the Bionic is nicer, IMO. I do not mind the Pentile screen at all, though the iPhone 4's screen is still considerably better (but smaller).

As for Motoblur, I could care less because the first thing I installed on both phones was Launcher Pro. I can say, without hesitation, that the Bionic is much smoother with less hitches than the Droid X ever was. The Bionic doesn't lag at all, except maybe the camera interface which is still not great (the X's was not good either, IMO).

Of course, the highlight of the Bionic is LTE. It just got turned on in my area this morning, actually, and I'm getting anywhere from 5-20 mbps down, and 3-5 mbps up (depending on my signal strength). On average, I'm getting about 10 down and 4 up, which I think it quite excellent and beats out the average broadband Internet speed in the USA!

I'd say the Droid Bionic is a worthy upgrade to the Droid X. My only gripe, really, about the Bionic is battery life - which is NOT good at all, especially if you use the phone mainly in areas with lower signal strength. I'm using the extended battery and barely get 10 hours of battery life (with the phone in my pocket 75% of the time). The Cell Standby just using up juice like it's Koolaid! But that's the tradeoff you get for LTE right now. And that's why Apple isn't going to do an LTE iPhone this year. They are probably smart for waiting, but for those of us who like to live on the edge, this is all gravy! I will probably switch back to iPhone when there's an LTE version, but that's a LONG ways off...

Upvote 0
I tried the Bionic at the Verizon store. I loaded Quadrant standard onto it. I was disappointed that the Quadrant score of 2332 wasn't significantly different than that with my Droid X2. I had run the test repeatedly with both phones and in every case there was hardly any difference. In fact in most cases the Droid X2 did slightly better. I am not saying the Bionic isn't any faster. With regards to 4G vs 3G there is no comparison. But if you are getting the Bionic and don't have 4G service, I am not sure it is worth the upgrade from the Droid X2. If you have just a Droid X, it might be since the Droid X, gets about 1750 on the Quadrant test.

Upvote 0
Worth the switch. Forward facing cam, FAST, no freeze ups or weird pauses when i try to make a phone call. This phone is everything i hoped the X would be when i bought it. And i like the Blur on this phone....im still customizing the phone right now to my liking, but it does what its supposed to do with no slow downs, restarts, or freeze ups.

Oh and i have had 4GLTE service since ive had the phone...have yet to see it switch to 3g,or 1x

Upvote 0
just to inform, you guys know that when youre using the Bionic regularly that you arent using all 1gig of memory, right? Youre only using around 512mb of ram. the other 512 is dedicated to the webtop like the atrix. Also the upside of both the Bionic and the Droid 3 are the fact theyre using LPDDR2 ram. Truth be told i'd rather have 512megs of DDR2 ram in a phone than 1gig of slower crappier ram.

Truth be told im not obligated to say that. I've had a ton of phones. a few more than the list under my name can hold. I have also used all types of displays on phones. And dead serious, i like pentile. sure its not as sharp but the tech behind it is sound.

I really mostly troll here, but i cant let this comment go.

I really don't know why these rumors still exist, but just to inform you the ram is not being held off for the webtop. That wasn't even true with the atrix, save the first few days of launch.

You 100% get the max amount of ram the system will let you use (some ram is held to run the OS) and weptop has nothing to do with it.

If you want proof, just go into your manage applications screen and add up the available ram and the used ram and i guarantee you that its over 512.

So please stop spreading rumors, on this board or others, because im tired of writing these stupid replies all over the place.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones