• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Yahoo Mail Stopped Working

Same problem. multiple yahoo accounts all "classic" web based version. Only one (main one) doesnt work. All IMAP settings exactly the same. Can send, but not receive email. Deleted, reloaded, cleared cache, cleared all data...still not right.
Any of the previous posters upload the new update? did that help?

Upvote 0
My girlfriend's EVO is having the same issue. Both my Yahoo! Mail Plus and regular Yahoo! account work fine when I add them on as accounts but her account will not grab new mai. I tried everything from up above and nothing works. Her mail account was on Yahoo! Classic so I do not think the beta is affecting it.

The one new thing I did notice is that her imap mail will work fine on my iPhone and on another Droid device that her friend has. It seems that there is a problem with the Mail app on the phone and not something with Yahoo! but who knows.

Anyone else try their IMAP account on another phone?

And yes, the Yahoo Mail app is a convenient work-around and I consider a hard reset sort of out of the question.

Upvote 0
I have this same problem starting about Tuesday of this week. I have a plain old yahoo mail account (not plus, not upgraded to the beta), 2 in fact, and neither one worked after applying the second OTA upgrade for Gingerbread (ie the fix to the upgrade). It worked fine after the first upgrade, in fact my phone had no issues other than netflix not working. Now that does work, but yahoo mail won't receive in the standard mail client. I deleted them, reset them up, even factory reset the phone at a Sprint store (painful!!) as advised by tech support. Upgraded one email account to the beta just to see if that would fix it. But nothing has worked. Sprint's solution is to give me a new phone when they have some in stock next week. The yahoo mail app sucks, so if the new phone has the same problem, I guess I am switching to gmail.

Upvote 0
Just an FYI here but I have a paid Yahoo account which allows me to access my email via POP. I've been having troubles with it for the past week. This seems to happen off and on occasionally. After a few weeks it seems to clear itself up. I'm talking about accessing my Yahoo mail via my home computer. Seems to me if their POP servers are messed up it might be something else with Yahoo mail might be problematic.

Right now my phone is set up to receive Yahoo mail via IMAP servers, the default. I've been having off and on issues with my phone throughout the week as well but don't access my mail through my phone enough to be a real issue for me.

I think it might be coincidental that the latest update for our phones occurred during one of the Yahoo mail snafus. This all could be a Yahoo mail issues and have nothing to do with Android or the phones.

I guess I could change the Yahoo account(the paid one) on my phone to access via POP rather than IMAP but if my computer is having issues already with Yahoo mail not sure that would help identify anything by changing my phone.

Upvote 0
Well I did some searching and found many postings on this including this thread on this site:
Sprint Community: Anyone else having problems with Yahoo...

I have two yahoo email accounts setup with the HTC mail app and only one of them hasn't been syncing over the last few days. Bizarre right? I did all the standard tests such as removing the account and adding it again with no luck. I dare not try removing the account that is working.

I called sprint and customer service spoke with the techs and apparently the "yahoo servers are down" :rolleyes:

I can't buy that since I am able to get email on my other account.

BTW...I am still running Android 2.2 for anyone wondering if I updated or not. My mail app shows as 2.0.

Has anyone tried Menu --> Settings --> Applications --> Manage Applications --> Running Tab --> Mail

I tried clicking the "Clear Cache" but that didn't seem to fix the problem. I am not sure about clicking the "Clear Data" button. Anyone try that out?

Upvote 0
Well I did some searching and found many postings on this including this thread on this site:
Sprint Community: Anyone else having problems with Yahoo...

I have two yahoo email accounts setup with the HTC mail app and only one of them hasn't been syncing over the last few days. Bizarre right? I did all the standard tests such as removing the account and adding it again with no luck. I dare not try removing the account that is working.

Just so you know but most major email vendors use multiple email servers to help distribute mail loads to help prevent server overloads. It's quite possible your two email accounts are actually being serviced by two different Yahoo servers thus seeing what you are seeing.

This might be more commonplace with Yahoo rolling out their updated email front end.

Upvote 0
This just happened to me. Last night my battery was getting low so I turned my phone off for the first time since I got it a month ago. I turned the phone back on last night and hooked it up to charge. This morning I noticed that I am not getting any new emails. Also, I have several folders set up in Yahoo that I move mail to that I want to keep. When I try to go to those on my phone it says there is no mail in them. If I go to Yahoo Mail on my computer everything is fine. I have new emails and all the mail is still in my folders. Up until this point Yahoo mail was working great on my phone. I hope this gets fixed soon.

Edit: Running Android 2.2 and HTC Mail 2.0

Upvote 0
same issue here, one yahoo account works the other doesn't...

can send from both...

both running same online type of yahoo account, neither upgraded to "new yahoo"

running 2.2 non-rooted, made no changes, stopped working yesterday...

downloaded yahoo mail app as temp fix, problem is, i run stock mail app with manual push, for me it seems to save me battery life...yahoo! mail client seems to auto push...will this affect my battery life with it pushing all the time?

hope for a fix soon.

scott

Upvote 0
Clear data just deletes the accounts(s). I've actually deleted 3 accounts repeatedly. The one (main one) that is "broken" still doesnt work. The 2 other accounts can be deleted and added with no problem..... they always work fine.
Seems something stored on my phone that prevents it from receiving mail on main account.
BTW the account can be added and works on an iphone, so it CAN work.
Has anyone has tried to add "broken" email account to another android phone?

Upvote 0
I clicked the Clear Data button which deleted the account. When I try to add it back as POP it keeps giving me an "Authentication Error: Check user/password". The username and password are both correct. If I change it to IMAP (found IMAP settings under the IMAP tab here Yahoo! Mail for Android) it goes completely through the setup process but then when I open the mail client it says No Mail. If I go into my mail folders it says No Mail. I have emailed Yahoo Mobile. They sent me this email:

Thank you for contacting Yahoo! Customer Care. This message is to inform you that your Yahoo! Mobile inquiry will require additional work before we can provide an answer. So please note that we are routing your issue to a Technical Support Agent with specialized expertise, and you can
expect a response from us within the next 24 hours after receiving this
email.

I'll post back here if they say anything helpful.

Upvote 0
When I try to add it back as POP it keeps giving me an "Authentication Error: Check user/password". The username and password are both correct. If I change it to IMAP (found IMAP settings under the IMAP tab here Yahoo! Mail for Android) it goes completely through the setup process but then when I open the mail client it says No Mail.

Unless you have a paid Yahoo mail account you cannot access your email via POP. POP access is only allowed for Yahoo Mail Plus subscribers. Of course if this is for a paid account then something else is at issue

Upvote 0
When I first got my phone all it asked for was my email address and password and it set it up from there. Since then I have been getting my Yahoo mail fine until last night. I'm not sure how it set it up. Maybe it automatically set it up as an IMAP, I don't know. If you have a free Yahoo account, can you access your email via IMAP? If so, that's not working for me either.

Upvote 0
I had a customer come in today with this issue. Contacted tech support they claimed servers were down and to update to 2.3. Still nothing. Called yahoo support, apparently they are now charging 20$ a month for mobile email usage. They are cracking down now, that is why it suddenly stopped working. Yahoo claimed you buy the yahoo mail plus on their site and it works. The customer did the 20$ plus program and it worked perfect.

Upvote 0
While Yahoo may be charging for their service, I am able to get incoming Yahoo emails on my iPad and Samsung Galaxy Tab. Additionally, emails can still be sent out on the HTC Evo 4g, just not received.

I think the problem is related to the Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread update. Hopefully, a fix is in the works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones