• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

YES, you need a task killer app for the Eris. PERIOD.

Almost right. The commonly accepted definition of "multitasking" is a systems that "appears to be" running more than one program (or app) at the same time. They don't need to both be multi-threaded and you don't need to have many of them. Two single-threaded apps running at the same time is multitasking.

I say "appears to be" because under this definition, even a single-core system can be "multitasking" simply by switching which app is running often enough that no human can tell that only one of them is running at any moment.

I'm a lead software engineer who's been writing software for over 35 years. I've written everything from tiny embedded systems to massively multi-threaded multi-tasking multi-user networked systems. To be blunt, if I don't know what multitasking is, then nobody knows... :cool:

Android, by virtue of being built on Linux (which is already multitasking) is multitasking. Debating this is pointless. If you don't think it is multitasking, I think you need to define your terms more carefully.

I suspect that you're using the literal multi-cores-multi-processes definition rather than the more commonly used anything-that-looks-the-same-to-a-human definition. If this is the case, I'm sorry to break this to you, but you're fighting a loosing battle. Nobody cares that there is a low-level technical difference because it doesn't matter. They both look the same to the user...

If you're using some other definition, then please spell it out and explain the differences rather than being pointlessly condescending.
FredNitz = p3wnd

Upvote 0
FredNitz = p3wnd
While I appreciate the comment, the objective was not to p3wn Fred. :eek:

I just wanted him to stop being rude to people and to get the conversation back to the original subject.

If he wants to continue asserting that Android (and according to him, Windows as well) is not multitasking, it would be better if he started a new thread and it can be debated there...

Upvote 0
I just installed a Task Killer a few days ago and it seems my phone is draining faster than ever. I don't have any data to support either side of this argument, but I'm going to do my own experiment and measure my battery life with the TK installed for a few days, and then uninstall it and do the same. I'll try to remember to post my results :)

J-Dub out...

Upvote 0
can someone seriously kill this thread?
die_thread_die.jpg

Reactions: SyDTRaKKeD
Upvote 0
Why don't we all just install Automatic Task Killer and call it even?

It runs in the background, it doesn't require you to kill programs manually, and it certainly doesn't slow the phone down any.

Boom. Everyone wins.

My question is why do the people who don't use task killers argue so abrasively against it? It's not like using one hurts anything. Maybe it's just a mental thing. Even if I knew for a fact that Task Killers didn't do any good, I'd still use it, because I don't like the idea of apps running while they don't need to be... and anyone who argues that apps running in the background doesn't affect the battery is just batshit insane.

Upvote 0
Why don't we all just install Automatic Task Killer and call it even?

It runs in the background, it doesn't require you to kill programs manually, and it certainly doesn't slow the phone down any.

Boom. Everyone wins.

My question is why do the people who don't use task killers argue so abrasively against it? It's not like using one hurts anything. Maybe it's just a mental thing. Even if I knew for a fact that Task Killers didn't do any good, I'd still use it, because I don't like the idea of apps running while they don't need to be... and anyone who argues that apps running in the background doesn't affect the battery is just batshit insane.

Actually task killers can do harm.

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

Upvote 0
Personaly I have ran my droid with task killer and with out. Whn the memory gets to 30m or lower i do experience a lot of lag. When this happens I have to restart my phone or use task killer to kill the selected apps. IMO the task killer is necisary so you do not have to restart your phone in the middle of browsing the web or working on something. Thats all the proof I need. My phone runs smoother when I am using a task killer.

Upvote 0
While I appreciate the comment, the objective was not to p3wn Fred. :eek:

I just wanted him to stop being rude to people and to get the conversation back to the original subject.

If he wants to continue asserting that Android (and according to him, Windows as well) is not multitasking, it would be better if he started a new thread and it can be debated there...
I'm not even going to go back to read the flaming, but that is hilarious...

I know, I'm a dork... (Can't help it, I'm a software Engineer)

Upvote 0
My one big problem with task killers is that I've had this conversation several times because of them:

Someone asks, "Why isn't my Gmail pushing anymore?"

I ask the user, "Did you use a task killer to kill GTalk?"

They answer: "Yes, because I don't use GTalk."

And then I tell them: "You do use GTalk; you use it to receive Gmail's push. Reboot, don't kill GTalk, and your Gmail will push correctly."

"Hey! It works now!"

Upvote 0
i use adv task manager like a lot of other people, and i totally notice the difference. i will hit the button to kill, and a minute later i might hit it again and it will close another 10 apps. now tell me, what the hell is opening itself in those 30 seconds between hitting it once (and probably closing 10 other apps) and then a 2nd time?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones