• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root You cannot save apps to your SD card with the Optimus Elite!

Also, just tried using directory Bind to bind data/app to sdcard/ExternalSD... doesn't work, don't do it unless you would like to cause problems.

I tried directory bind with two apps. It worked with one of them but didn't work with the other, and it caused mass storage issues. So if you're desperate to play a gigantor game that won't fit in internal storage then it can work.

Upvote 0
OKAY. As I paid close attention to things like app space I'll explain clearly for you guys. :]

1. The actual phone memory is where the apps go which is the 800mb partition someone mentioned. If you move them to "sdcard" they go to the internal memory under /mnt/sdcard/Android/Data/

2. The internal memory (2Gb partition) is basically an internal sdcard. If you download apps or MP3s or anything you actually download through the phone itself. It will be stored in /mnt/sdcard/Download/

3. If you are running out of space on your Internal Memory try moving all your music, pictures, and downloaded zips for ROMs and apk's to the External SD by navigating to /mnt/sdcard/_ExternalSD/

4. If you open an app you downloaded (like Asphalt 7 for example.) When you open it prompts you to download 1.3gb's or more of data for the game to run. That's stored in /mnt/sdcard/Android/Data/ for the correct folder of the game. Depending on how you uninstall an app, that downloaded data in an app can still remain sometimes.

5. So an overview::

The phone memory is 800mb for apps that were just downloaded and installed unless you choose to move them to the internal memory. It still leaves a small piece of the app behind in the phone memory. But all of the actual apps data like game progress or Facebook's MAJOR data storage problem will be stored to the internal memory. The external sdcard will almost never be touched unless you actually manually put something there or take a picture and specify it to be downloaded there. Now like me, I download movies through torrents. So having a 2GB internal sucks. Certain torrent apps allow you to download to a specific location. As in the ExternalSD. :D BUT OTHER THAN THAT, anything at ALL downloaded normally will be in your Downloads folder on the Internal Memory.

Since the partitions are weird a little when it comes to storage. It makes actually moving apps to an external sdcard impossible without rooting and giving johnisherenow's method of writing a script into the system to allow you to use a separate partition on your external sdcard. But even so, when you download games like Asphalt 7 or any kind of Gameloft game, there is an app that allows you to symbolically link Gameloft game data to the sdcard. But you have to open the app, hit the Mount button, and then scroll through the list of app's in the app and hit the Open button on your game to actually open it. I had 6 games on my Elite that each took up 1.5gb's+ of space and there are ways to basically trick the phone into thinking the files are where they are supposed to be when they are actually on the external sdcard.

This is the app I used
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.slf.ListglApp

Upvote 0
Certain torrent apps allow you to download to a specific location. As in the ExternalSD. :D BUT OTHER THAN THAT, anything at ALL downloaded normally will be in your Downloads folder on the Internal Memory.

I might be misunderstanding this part but whenever you download something, a drop-down box pops up and you can tell it to download to wherever you want.

Upvote 0
Yes, for anything fancy, root is needed.

I did try to use Link2SD on this phone. Link2SD requires that you partition your SD card and set both partitions as Primary. Then, when you install Link2SD it creates a start-up script that mounts that extra partition to /data/sd2ext which is where it links apps too so there is no space taken up on your primary partition. This partition stays mounted even when you go into USB mass storage mode.

The good thing is, I was able to get Link2SD to work. That bad thing is I lost use of the external SD card.

What looks like happens is that the Elite will mount the small secondary partition as the SD card, and the Link2SD remounts that as /data/sd2ext.

I think with some tweaking of the start up scripts that mount the SD card partitions this could work... Or making the small partition the first partition on the SD card instead of the second one. But I don't have the time or need to do it. But, I thought I would share the results of my research if someone wants to look further into it, or perhaps work with the Link2SD developer on it.

BOb

Reactions: DsyMnapTic
Upvote 0
# Copyright (c) 2010, Code Aurora Forum. All rights reserved.
#
# Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
# modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
# met:
# * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
# notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
# * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
# copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
# disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided
# with the distribution.
# * Neither the name of Code Aurora Forum, Inc. nor the names of its
# contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived
# from this software without specific prior written permission.
#
# THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
# WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
# MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT
# ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS
# BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
# CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF
# SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR
# BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,
# WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE
# OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN
# IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

# LGE_CHANGE [2011.08.24] M3S : dev_mount sd card interface
#dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.4/mmc_host /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host
dev_mount extsdcard /mnt/sdcard/_ExternalSD auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.4/mmc_host

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
------------------------------------

This is what the Vold.fstab looks like for those who are unaware. It is stored in system/etc at the very bottom. If you compare this to the script that is included in the zip file provided earlier, then you will see its kind of similar.
I could be wrong, but this doesn't look particularly difficult to modify and if so, would eliminate the need for further scripting.

Reactions: Artine
Upvote 0
I've been messing around with the vold.fstab for the past couple of hours with zero luck. Whenever I make any changes it won't recognize the internal or external sd cards.

It's a big pain because my file manager won't let me change files unless there is an sd card mounted for some reason, so every time I mess it up I have to restore a nandroid and try again.

Upvote 0
I've been messing around with the vold.fstab for the past couple of hours with zero luck. Whenever I make any changes it won't recognize the internal or external sd cards.

It's a big pain because my file manager won't let me change files unless there is an sd card mounted for some reason, so every time I mess it up I have to restore a nandroid and try again.

Wait.... So you're modding the file from your phone?

Upvote 0
This is what the Vold.fstab looks like for those who are unaware. It is stored in system/etc at the very bottom. If you compare this to the script that is included in the zip file provided earlier, then you will see its kind of similar.
I could be wrong, but this doesn't look particularly difficult to modify and if so, would eliminate the need for further scripting.

Exactly :D

Upvote 0
I've tried vold edit, and every other suggestion. No luck. Anyone making any progess?

Yep, read this:

JUST TO CLARIFY:
There is in fact a way to move apps, at least partially to the external SD, it does move a majority portion of whatever apps you are able to move, to the ExternalSD. I have tested this myself to be safe FOR ME. I am still unsure of its absolute stability and it was not brought to the forums by me. It was produced by other developers who's names are clearly stated in its script. This is a CWM flashable zip. Meaning you FLASH IT IN RECOVERY. I think that confidence in its use has been stifled by the manner in which it was initially presented by a controversial member here at the forums. However I have not been the witness of any malicious activity by using the script itself after flashing through recovery. This DOES NOT have a user interface and is not interacted with through an app. It makes your stock system apps2sd ability change its storage location to ExternalSD by default. Meaning you go into Manage apps just like you always do and click the little button that says MOVE TO INTERNAL MEMORY. Once again it will default the move location to the ExternalSD. I'm placing the available .zip below......
I will NOT be responsible for how this reacts on your phone or for you using it improperly in a way that was not described here.

Download the zip file, and load into ClockWorkMod recovery, flash like you would anything else AND if you don't know how anything else would be flashed in the first place then obviously you should be doing some other things before even considering doing anything with this.
Thanks Enjoy
Zippyshare.com - 11extsd2internalsd_gs3_fat32orextfat_US_ZEDOMAXv0.2.zip

**I would also suggest downloading the universal init.d support app from the play store to ensure that the script will run, since there have been reports that our current method of init.d support is not fully functional.

Upvote 0
Forgive me as I should have stated more details about the need for a SD card target swap.

Device: LG Optimus Elite
Internal SD 2gb
External SD 32gb

App: Spotify Premium

Issue: I download playlists for offline use when i'm not in data range. As you all know by now, the internal sd card is the default location for app storage. 2gb does not even come close to making the cut.

I tried the zip file, with init.d support. No luck. Spotify app developers must have disabled the option to move the app "Move to internal Memory" is not active/functional. From my research, I believe Google Music and some other apps have this caveat.

Resolution:

"If your phone is rooted (if not, just root it, c'mon, can't be that hard!), there is a perfectly stable fix.

It's not very complicated, but for the less Android-savvy, I made a little tutorial. Let me re-post it here:

This app, called DirectoryBind, deserves your attention: thanks to that App, I got the most up-to-date version of Spotify working perfectly on ICS (CM9 on Galaxy S3) and storing everything on an external 64GB MicroSD card. It got me searching for a while, but if you want to do the same I made a small tutorial. Here's what you should do (it's a detailed guide but shouldn't take very long):

I. Get the App and Set it Up

- First of all, download DirectoryBind from this thread in XDA-Developers (look at the bottom of the first post and download the latest version in "Attached Files" - as of today, this is version 0.2.0o)

- Move it to your phone if not already done. Make sur that Unkown Source installations are enabled (Settings > Security > Unknown Sources). This setting allows you to install apps from outside the Play Store

- Install the .apk by navigating to it in any file explorer (I use Astro, free and available on Play Store)

- Make sure Spotify is closed! Use "Force Stop" in application management (Settings > Application Management) to be on the safe side:

medium

- Open DirectoryBind, press the menu key and go to Settings (see screenshot below):

medium

- Make sure the following are checked: Bind on Boot, Handle USB Connection, Alert on Unbind Fail, Alternate dbase mgmt, Persistent Service. Exit the settings.

II. Make the Association with your SD Card

- Press the menu key and "Add new entry"

- Long-Press on the Data Path textbox to navigate to where you want your Spotify data on your external SD Card (My path is "/extSdCard/AppData/Spotify/" , for example). These folders have to be previously created using a file explorer

- Long-Press on the Target Path textbox to navigate to where your current Spotify data is stored (My path is "/sdcard/Android/data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui)

Note1: do not use paths that start with "/mnt/". Even if this is the right way on Linux, the app can only work if you access both SD Cards directly from the root.

Note2: I know it's illogical that the source is where you want your data and the target is where it actually is, but bear with me, this is how it works.

- If you already have some files downloaded and insist on keeping them, then also check the box called "Transfer Files from Target to Data". Otherwise, delete everything that's in the original data folder before going through with this.

- Press "Add"

- When you're back on the app's main screen, make sure that the checkbox for that new entry is checked and that it shows a green disk - meaning the entry is mounted - or a green arrow pointing up - meaning that the entry is currently in use, as seen on the screenshot below:

medium

- One last, important thing: make a backup of that entry, so if there's a problem, you can retsore it easily. Press Menu > Backup Database.

- Just to make sure that everything is set correctly, reboot your phone a couple of times and check if the links are still working OK. Otherwise restore the database (you did back it up, right?) and reboot again.

That's it! You're set.
Don't forget to say Thanks to Slig on the original xda-developers thread for that great app!

In order to understand what you just did:

What you have just done is writing a Symbolic Link between Spotify's regular storing location to the foler of your choice on your external SD card. This link operates on the Operating System level and therefore is totally transparent to Spotify. Symbolic links are actually a widespread practice for example in software backward-compatibility. This means that it is usually perfectly safe to use them."

This is quoted info from a spotify community forum and how I found a working fix. I am syncing playlists as I type, where before it would error out due to lack of storage. Directory Bind has been discussed before but this bloake quoted above had the best instruction on mapping directory bind.

Thanks to the author and of course many thanks to the Android Forums community. I'd be a pissed-off consumer without you all.

Life may now resume to your regularly scheduled program.

Upvote 0
Actually you can use Titanium Backup to move apps to the external SD card. As well as Root Explorer. Not sure if you could set them (the apps moved to the ExSD) up to run from the external SD card, but I know that you can actually move and/or copy them over using either of those apps, as I have done it for external backups. Of course, both of those apps require first rooting your OE, so if rooting is a problem for you then I would say you're SOL. Though the lack of having an option to directly "Save to ExSD" when you download/install an app may be inconvenient, you can still move them over manually.
Otherwise, there is already provided for you a huge amount of space for apps already. You shouldn't need more for apps specifically. For videos, pictures, music, and other media, sure, but not for apps.
Hi...
Thanks for all the great info in this thread. I bought a 16GB external SD card for my OE. I did get root access using gianttpunes poot method w/ministro and root check (achieved). Which method do I use to back up the OE's entire OS? Would giantpunes noob recovery method work, or should I use another method?

I read your Link2SD post, I'm not quite sure what Link2D is. thanks again!

I've read about people having a lot of issues with Titanium. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Hi...
Thanks for all the great info in this thread. I bought a 16GB external SD card for my OE. I did get root access using gianttpunes poot method w/ministro and root check (achieved). Which method do I use to back up the OE's entire OS? Would giantpunes noob recovery method work, or should I use another method?

I read your Link2SD post, I'm not quite sure what Link2D is. thanks again!

I've read about people having a lot of issues with Titanium. Thanks again!

Yes use the noob recovery method to install CWM recovery, then boot in to recovery and make a backup. You can boot in to recovery a few different ways including powering off the phone, then holding the down volume button while you turn it back on.

Link2SD doesn't work with this phone unfortunately.

Upvote 0
If you're running cm9 you can swap the sd cards by going to"Settings>Storage>Menu button>Storage configuration>and check the box. After that you will need to reboot the phone." If you have apps installed on the internal sd card you need to move them to the internal storage (1gb) before you do this or else the apps will report that it's not installed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones