• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"You have exceeded $20 in pay per use..."

I just got a text message saying:

AT&T Free Msg: "You have exceeded $20 in pay per use data charges. Go to *insert website* to learn how to reduce your charges."

What does this mean? I am in school all day and won't be able to call them. I should have my grandfathered unlimited plan the guy at RadioShack said he transferred it.
Be careful, I have a friend that purchased theirs at Radio Shack and they did not do a very good job at switching the data plan correctly. I had to have my brother, who works for AT&T, get it all worked out for him. I would call AT&T when you can to explain everything and I don't think you will have a problem getting your Unlimited plan back. Good luck!!

Upvote 0
Don't sweat it. I just went through this as well. Even though I bought from AT&T and activated through AT&T, they still messed it all up. Basically, they removed my entire data plan. Sounds like that's what they did to you.

I spent some time on the phone and eventually just went to my local Corp store. They had to get the manager to correct it but it they took care of it.

Upvote 0
I had this happen to me as well. It got fixed really easily. I got the text in the morning, and immediately called on my way into school. I told the rep what happened, and she said that for some reason the data plan didn't transfer over when I upgraded. She put my unlimited plan back on without any argument, and backdated it so I wouldn't get charged for the pay for use data. Just call and explain what happened.

Upvote 0
I just got a text message saying:

AT&T Free Msg: "You have exceeded $20 in pay per use data charges. Go to *insert website* to learn how to reduce your charges."

What does this mean? I am in school all day and won't be able to call them. I should have my grandfathered unlimited plan the guy at RadioShack said he transferred it.

If your situation is anything like mine..

The moron behind the counter didn't add the data plan.

(quit hating on radioshack *ALL* brick and mortar stores seem populated by..lacking individuals when it comes to sell phones.. an at&t store screwed my capt up.)

Upvote 0
I got this too. And I ordered online. Then I got a text says$ 50 in charges. All I had to do was call 611, first I got some rep that had no idea what she was doing, so I asked for someone else and she transfered me to her supervisor. She noticed the change in data plan and put me back on unlimited. She then told me that I wouldn't be charged the$ 50, but we'll seeabout that at the end of the month

Upvote 0
I work at an at&t corp. store and I can tell you with 100% certainty that it is impossible to add a smartphone of any kind to a line and not have a data plan attached. What it sounds like it that the person that did your upgrade or activation didn't set you up on the right one. No worries, like everyone else has said, just call and explain to them what happened and they'll get you all fixed up with no issues. Just don't be a douche about it. No one likes to have to deal with douche bags. Especially over the phone. They're much more helpful when you're reasonable and calm.
Thanks!

Upvote 0
I work in retail so I am always reasonable and calm :)
I just wish being reasonable and calm got you more discounts and stuff. Being angry always gets the good stuff, I just don't have the heart to do it.

I called up AT&T and I got it resolved...however I received a message a few hours after saying it was now "You exceeded $50 in pay per use..." so I am just hoping it was truly resolved. If not I will just call again tomorrow, she did say she credited my account $50 so that everything would be back to normal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones