• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root z4root?

ROB281

Apr 13, 2010
I'd like to root my Epic to remove some bloatware, I'd flash roms but reading about the process confuses me right now, especially when the Hero was so easy to root, and flash.

Could I use z4root to root but stay stock, and just remove the unwanted programs?

I've also read where z4root won't push a cwm image, how would I push that since rom manager won't work on a stock kernel?

well now that I am rooted my biggest worry is out of the way, the pucker factor isn't as high for me when it comes to flashing roms as it is when rooting.

I am still gun shy on going to cwm3 after it wiped out my Hero so I'd like to stay with 2.5 and stick with rfs for a bit longer, with that in mind what are some of the more popular older roms? is there anything like the Hero cm6.1 or aosp 2.2.1 for the Epic?

Upvote 0
flashed the baked snack rom last night/early morning

so far the only issues I've seen are that my alarm clock doesn't work, and that it scared the shite out of me when flashing. The recovery screen changed from the normal android guy with the box to something with red & blue words, then it switch back to the normal screen. Did that when I flashed the kernel too.

but everything seems to work

Have any new radios for the Epic been released?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones