• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
OK, after reading all the great stuff about ZenEXP, I'm thinking about rooting for the very first time (though the Gmail push issue has me concerned). I'm still 1.5

I've read about rooting way long ago with Fresh ,etc. BUT, I'm totally freaked on how to do this with ZenEXP, not having rooted before.

Could anyone provide a step by step guide to do this with Zen?

Thanks much!

you root before you flash any rom like zenxp.

you still follow the rooting instructions provided in this forum. use the instructions for 1.5 if you have that.

Upvote 0
OK, after reading all the great stuff about ZenEXP, I'm thinking about rooting for the very first time (though the Gmail push issue has me concerned). I'm still 1.5

I've read about rooting way long ago with Fresh ,etc. BUT, I'm totally freaked on how to do this with ZenEXP, not having rooted before.

Could anyone provide a step by step guide to do this with Zen?

Thanks much!

Since you still on 1.5, root with this guide:

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-sprint-hero/38911-guide-root-rom-faq-tutorial.html

From there, then download this ROM and flash via the recovery console.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=666967

Make sure to Nandroid backup between.

Reactions: EgeBamyasi
Upvote 0
I might have found another glitch in Zen. I have not seen this problem on here, if it is sorry for the repeat. I can not receive pics through the stock sms messenger. I keep getting an error that says "generic network failure". I am not sure if this has to do with Zen or the person sending the pic.

I am running Zen with the latest update, fixed the VVM problem, installed afirewall to block the voicemail text messages. When I did the blacklist on afirewall I blocked 9016 call and sms, don't know if that has anything to do with getting sms pics from a third party.

Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
if I do reflash no point in doing a nandroid backup because Zen is not working correctly, right?

Just a thought

If you reflash, no do not nandroid backup this time since it might be an issue with the rom install itself, you should still have a good backup on the sd card.

I have just recieved 2 mms one was sent with handcent, the other the stock messaging. Both came it just fine, I have .3, handcent, andriodfirewall(the paid afirewall) with 9016 blacklisted on both. Try connecting to a wifi and turning back off the wifi or turn on airplane mode and back off to reset the data connection and see if that does it, also try a quick reboot. If all 3 fail..........reflash.

Upvote 0
Did and still Boot Screen...

What file exactly are you using to flash, maybe you have the wrong one? There was an upgrade one that looked like the right one, but wasn't, I'll post the link at the bottom here of the right one that you want. If you reflashed and still have the issue, I bet that's it.

ZenEXP-0.9.6.2OC Toasted: ROM

For how long? First boot usually takes a while...

Yes, the first boot might take up to 30minutes, normally 10-15, but could be up to 30.

Upvote 0
What file exactly are you using to flash, maybe you have the wrong one? There was an upgrade one that looked like the right one, but wasn't, I'll post the link at the bottom here of the right one that you want. If you reflashed and still have the issue, I bet that's it.

Yes, the first boot might take up to 30minutes, normally 10-15, but could be up to 30.
The problem is that It boot the HTC White Screen, then restart, boot white, restart, boot white, bla bla bla

Upvote 0
FWIW, I'm running .3 and got MMS without problem yesterday.

I don't use afirewall or block call/sms from 9016. I'm using GV instead.

rasp1.gif
Fixed that for you!

Upvote 0
F#ck...... I run de Zen Update and Istalling the Update begin to the same sh... Booting, Restarting, Booting Restarting...
OK, so you wiped the data/factory reset, then you wiped your dalvik cache. Did you also wipe the SD ext partition? If you used Apps2sd on another ROM then you must wipe the SD ext partition too. Even if you didn't use Apps2sd, go ahead and wipe the data/factory reset (again), the dalvik cache (again), and the SD ext partition.

Upvote 0
I've been using OS Monitor lately to check for errors using the MESSAGE function. I started noticing error messages for various reasons, including what looked like Set CPU error because the low setting appeared to be too low. My screen was full of red, so I adjusted all my low CPU speed settings to a minimum of 245 mhz. I also saw a lot of instances where my GPS location was being looked up at instances when I was using any applications that were requesting my information. Decided to go ahead and turn off my GPS and network location settings.

Around this same time I got my work e-mail and calendar added to my phone, so now had the additional exchange sync.

Right away I didn't notice any increase in battery, so I decided to also try disabling battery indicator (I've been using it for months). I've never suspected it for causing problems, but I figured I would be less worried about my battery life.

I was expecting my battery life to go down significantly, but holy smokes did I have a heck of a day yesterday. Unplugged it from the wall at 7:30AM and had a decent day's use (about 15-20 texts, about an hour total browsing the web with Opera Mini, read a bunch of e-mails, used the Facebook app a few times, took some pictures, checked in using Four Square, and more). When I finally went to bed at 3:30AM my phone battery was at 48% remaining (checked by opening battery indicator, then closed it)! I was shocked, to say the least. Usually by that time my phone would be under 20% remaining or would need to be plugged in.

We'll see how things go today. I'm going to go backwards and see if I can error trap and find what setting change was the cause for this incredible jump in battery life (I'm guessing it was a combination of the SetCPU adjustment and GPS).

Upvote 0
What version of Zen are you using and what version are you trying to update to? I've had this happen if skipping versions.

Something is Wrong, I wipe everything and Install, and in the first Boot, Works.

Then if a do a Reboot, or turn off and on the Phone, it will not Boot again.

If I Installet again when Using Zen Updater, when it install the Update, it doen'st Boot Again, it get stock in the first HTC screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones