• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 4.1.2 Update for rooted users

Fastboot is your bootloader.

Power+volume up+ volume down gets you there.

Could just flash the Su file manually

Optionally have the toolkit unroot first and then reroot

Thanks, tried starting in bootloader but it gave me the 'ADB not connected' error.

Went to unroot but it will wipe the device and I can't do a nandroid backup first.

How would I flash the SU file manually? I already have the SU binary and SU app installed correctly so would this still rectify the problem?

Thanks for all of your help.

Upvote 0
Except for the part where the OTA update fails to install saying something about the whole-file checksum not matching :).

Finally got around to looking at this again:

Weirdly, the downloaded update installed fine when flashing from TWRP recovery, no more errors about checksums, etc. It now reports that it is running 4.1.2 and seems to be working fine.

Off to get re-rooted now...

Upvote 0
I thought your issue was rooted apps don't have root access anymore? My apologies if I'm confusing problems.

If everything is working normally then no need to do that

I'm sorry if I have confused you! How about I start from scratch, disregard everything that I have previously posted xD

Since updating I noticed that apps requiring root access didn't work. I figured it was something to do with the update (well, ultimately it is but anyhow) triggering compatibility issues.

After running a root validate app I received mixed results, which are posted below:

Overall result: There were some major problems!

• Root Access test: Root was denied to this app! Root may be possible {YELLOW}
  • Superuser application: SuperSU 0.96(eu.chainfire.supersu) /data/app/eu.chainfire.supersu-1.apk {GREEN}
  • Superuser binary: 0.96:SUPERSU Location: /system/xbin/su {GREEN}
  • Busybox binary: Busybox binary not found {RED}
  • Busybox applets: UNAVAILABLE {RED}

I'm not sure where to go from here to regain root access.

Sorry for being so confusing and un-knowledgeable :)

Upvote 0
I'm sorry if I have confused you! How about I start from scratch, disregard everything that I have previously posted xD

Since updating I noticed that apps requiring root access didn't work. I figured it was something to do with the update (well, ultimately it is but anyhow) triggering compatibility issues.

After running a root validate app I received mixed results, which are posted below:

Overall result: There were some major problems!

• Root Access test: Root was denied to this app! Root may be possible {YELLOW}
  • Superuser application: SuperSU 0.96(eu.chainfire.supersu) /data/app/eu.chainfire.supersu-1.apk {GREEN}
  • Superuser binary: 0.96:SUPERSU Location: /system/xbin/su {GREEN}
  • Busybox binary: Busybox binary not found {RED}
  • Busybox applets: UNAVAILABLE {RED}

I'm not sure where to go from here to regain root access.

Sorry for being so confusing and un-knowledgeable :)

No problem. I'd say try to install busybox from the play store. Download the installer and let it do its thing

Upvote 0
Guy's,

Am new to the forum. Have only had the Nexus 7 just over a month. Fantastic device. Earlier this week I received the OTA prompt to upgrade to 4.1.2. My device is rooted via WUGS (Best thing I ever did).

Anyway, I'm a patient chap and didn't want to jump on the update straight away for fear of loosing root or some other complication. I've also avidly been reading this thread and it seems quite a few people have had difficulties of some type or another.

Last night i took the plunge. My device is stock 4.1.1. No additional mods.

Based on 'Bob Dennys' steps. First I installed Super SU Pro and enabled Survivor mode. I downloaded Rxperts edited copy of 4.1.2 (to be on the safe side). Rebooted the device into CWM and installed the update file using the recovery mode. All went totally smooth. The Update installed and then I rebooted. Once back up I checked the about option in settings which confirmed the upgrade to 4.1.2 and thankfully the device was still rooted. I then switched off Survivor mode in Super SU.

This had to be the smoothest upgrade I've done on a device in a long time.

Rxpert and Bob Denny. Big up to you guys (& +Thanks). Cheers.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Guy's,

Am new to the forum. Have only had the Nexus 7 just over a month. Fantastic device. Earlier this week I received the OTA prompt to upgrade to 4.1.2. My device is rooted via WUGS (Best thing I ever did).

Anyway, I'm a patient chap and didn't want to jump on the update straight away for fear of loosing root or some other complication. I've also avidly been reading this thread and it seems quite a few people have had difficulties of some type or another.

Last night i took the plunge. My device is stock 4.1.1. No additional mods.

Based on 'Bob Dennys' steps. First I installed Super SU Pro and enabled Survivor mode. I downloaded Rxperts edited copy of 4.1.2 (to be on the safe side). Rebooted the device into CWM and installed the update file using the recovery mode. All went totally smooth. The Update installed and then I rebooted. Once back up I checked the about option in settings which confirmed the upgrade to 4.1.2 and thankfully the device was still rooted. I then switched off Survivor mode in Super SU.

This had to be the smoothest upgrade I've done on a device in a long time.

Rxpert and Bob Denny. Big up to you guys (& +Thanks). Cheers.
Glad it worked. Thanks for posting and welcome to the forums!!!!

:D:D

Upvote 0
No problem. I'd say try to install busybox from the play store. Download the installer and let it do its thing

I've tried this and received this result/error:

"I am unable to verify whether or not certain utlities needed for tis application to run are present and functional on your device"

I'm not sure what the problem is, I've tried using the root toolkit again and it just tells me that I've successfully rooted when it finishes.

I'll download and try a different installer when I get back from work tonight to see if we can get a better result.

Upvote 0
Download and put it on your device.
It's recommended to check the md5 with any file explorer program such as es file explorer. This makes sure it was a good download

Then you reboot into recovery, select wipe and wipe cache & dalvik cache (i don't use cwm, so you may have to dig to find dalvik cache)then go back to the main menu and select install

Select the update file and flash

Reboot

You should now be on 4.1.2

Upvote 0
File added back for others to use since it seems like a download error

Verifying update package...
E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installing update...
'Verifying current system...
assert failed : apply_patch_check("/system/app/ApplicationsProvider.apk", "8e6fdbdccd36aaba300ce12cbd454591969995d3", "293b260e0b4968cce4f15310e835c65cd2497347")
E: Error in /catch/03a4eaf95f73.signed-nakasi-JZO54K-from-JRO03D.03a4eaf9.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Post moved to ATR section for solution :D

I was looking in to the ATR section and searched for this (using verification and verification failed) and can't find it. Could you help me out with a link or if a solution was found? I would be muy appreciado or something to that affect.

Upvote 0
Reactions: kramerica
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones