• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 4.1.2 Update for rooted users

Greetings:

I had issues updating to 4.1.2 until I downloaded Rxpert83's edited version. Now I am having the same issues (Status 7) updating to the OTA 4.2.

The odd thing is, I do not think I changed any system apps (being new to rooting Androids, I just followed the steps for Wug's Nexus 7 Root Toolkit so I'm not completely certain of this).

What would I have to do to be able to update to 4.2? and even further, is there a way to restore the system apps as they should be so I can update easily in the future?

I appreciate any help provided.

Upvote 0
Greetings:

I had issues updating to 4.1.2 until I downloaded Rxpert83's edited version. Now I am having the same issues (Status 7) updating to the OTA 4.2.

The odd thing is, I do not think I changed any system apps (being new to rooting Androids, I just followed the steps for Wug's Nexus 7 Root Toolkit so I'm not completely certain of this).

What would I have to do to be able to update to 4.2? and even further, is there a way to restore the system apps as they should be so I can update easily in the future?

I appreciate any help provided.
My advice: Don't, at least wait awhile. Google has crapped everything up with 4.2. It simply is not worth the hassle right now. Give it a week or so for apps, recoveries, etc. to catch up. I am in 4.2 Limbo right now. No way to do Nandroid Backups (TWRP, nor CWM latest versions work yet). Apps FC'ing like crazy. Some don't work with 4.2 yet. They will catch up but I if I had it to do over I would not go to 4.2 for a while. There are so many sweet 4.1.2 Roms around that make using the N7 a pleasure. But I can't go back because I have no way right now to back-up what I have.
TiBu works but that's only part of the job.

Upvote 0
Hello,

Your edited version let me update to 4.1.2 when the regular version failed. I'm having issues updating to 4.2 now, when it checks for BrowserProviderProxy.odex, same problem I had before. This may be because I installed, then uninstalled the stock browser. Is there a fix for this?

Edit: Never mind, I used the power of Google search. Here is the thread containing a fix if anyone runs into a similar issue:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1945938

Reactions: Teknologic
Upvote 0
I've been putting this off for a while now, but the prompts are getting to me! So, I'm rooted and have CWM and I've installed OTA RootKeeper. I've made no manual changes other than rooting. After downloading the update I select install. The system reboots into recovery and asks if I want to install an unsigned zip. I say yes and then it fails. What gives?

Upvote 0
I believe all of the ota updates build off of the one before it.

If you want to jump straight to 4.2.1 you can use wugs toolkit to download the 4.2.1 factory image. It'll wipe all data but were rooted so that's no problem since we have titanium backup and nandroids.

After that's done, just use wugs to re-root

Reactions: thaKing
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones