• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4G? Speeds in the Los Angeles area?

Upvote 0
There's a area like that down here in South Florida I get 9mbps but go not even 3 miles west and you can't even get 1mb barely even half a mb

I can beat that.

I live Very Close to "The Big Road" that goes thru Ocala, FL. The other day coming back here from Gainesville after getting my Motion I was constantly looking for towers and watching my signal bars. I saw those PEG at 4 bars at a tower about 3/4 of a mile from where I live. (flat terrain, no larger buildings than 2 stories) In that 3/4 of a mile, when I turned Onto My street I dropped to 2 bars. (Again, Right At the Interstate!)

I do get a drop down to EV every now and then but usually, I'm around 2-4 MPS which though not Dullest/FutWuth numbers, is Still about double what I get on Verizon 3G so right now anyway, I'm not bitching. Especially for $55 a month. :D

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Upvote 0
I can beat that.
I live Very Close to "The Big Road" that goes thru Ocala, FL. The other day coming back here from Gainesville after getting my Motion I was constantly looking for towers and watching my signal bars. I saw those PEG at 4 bars at a tower about 3/4 of a mile from where I live. (flat terrain, no larger buildings than 2 stories) In that 3/4 of a mile, when I turned Onto My street I dropped to 2 bars. (Again, Right At the Interstate!)
441?

Upvote 0
In the vicinity of I-75/Silver Springs Blvd.

The tower is just South of US-27 alongside The Big Road and there's 1 mile between those 2 exits.

(The road you are referring to is called <U.S.> 301 by the Slocala locals as what we consider to be 441 merges into 301 just North of Ocala. <Even though yes, the maps will show the road as Both 441/301/Pine St. thru Ocala.> 301/441 is about 3 miles or so East of 75.)

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Upvote 0
I asked 441 because I know most a lot of towns in central florida like orlando had there downtown on 441 before the interstate
441 is like the 3rd biggest south-north road down here in palm beach county but anything west of there most times I consider it the boonies even though thats changing fast. That's actually the road that borderlines the speed decrease. Im about to head over to a Wendy's over there and i'll do a speed test

Upvote 0
Top is a mile west of 441
Every thing else is 3 miles east of 441 the 3 around 1400kbps is 3G @my house uploadfromtaptalk1357254504149.jpg

Upvote 0
I have had my Motion 4G for a week now and I have never seen it connected to a 4g network in Los Angeles. I live in Glendale and work in Hollywood both well within the 4g coverage and I have been in Pasadena and downtown with the phone and all I get is usually 1x and occasionally EV. I have had the phone reprogrammed on the phone with Metro support and in a Metro store by an employee and still the same. Is 4g a myth in LA or is this phone broken? Of course nobody in the 10 calls to support or 2 store visits will admit anything is wrong with the phone and therefore they don't want to replace it

Upvote 0
I have had my Motion 4G for a week now and I have never seen it connected to a 4g network in Los Angeles. I live in Glendale and work in Hollywood both well within the 4g coverage and I have been in Pasadena and downtown with the phone and all I get is usually 1x and occasionally EV. I have had the phone reprogrammed on the phone with Metro support and in a Metro store by an employee and still the same. Is 4g a myth in LA or is this phone broken? Of course nobody in the 10 calls to support or 2 store visits will admit anything is wrong with the phone and therefore they don't want to replace it

Make sure you ask if the UICC card is activated. You don't get 4G if it isn't . . .

Upvote 0
Make sure you ask if the UICC card is activated. You don't get 4G if it isn't . . .

Thanks. That is the sim card and the number shows up under ICCID in my phone status and the number is the same that is printed on the sim card but i will call and make sure.

The funny thing is that I had 4g on sprint for 2 years and 95% of the time I left it turned off because it at my battery and wasn't worth any speed increase most of the time. But I just want to make sure I am getting everything I paid for with this phone

Upvote 0
Well I just called MetroPCS for about the 12th time on this issue. This time the guy I spoke to said that the EV network is the same as the 4G and some phones say EV in the network bar and some say 4G but it's the same thing. Ok....problem solved I guess.

Can anyone that has Metro 4G confirm that there network type says EVDO A when they are using 4G? With that said the fastest speeds I have been able to get on EV are 1.27 down and 0.85 up

Upvote 0
Well I just called MetroPCS for about the 12th time on this issue. This time the guy I spoke to said that the EV network is the same as the 4G and some phones say EV in the network bar and some say 4G but it's the same thing. Ok....problem solved I guess.

Can anyone that has Metro 4G confirm that there network type says EVDO A when they are using 4G? With that said the fastest speeds I have been able to get on EV are 1.27 down and 0.85 up

Dear God, those people are idiots... 3G/EV is NOT 4G in any way whatsoever.

3G = EVDO = CDMA = no UICC/SIM card needed.

4G = LTE = Related to GSM = not CDMA = needs a UICC/SIM card.

If you want real help, go to their Facebook page, you'll get someone who works there that really knows what they are talking about..... Just give them the name on the account and the last 3 of your phone number and they'll be able to do stuff on their end.

Reactions: ryanms3030
Upvote 0
Dear God, those people are idiots... 3G/EV is NOT 4G in any way whatsoever.

3G = EVDO = CDMA = no UICC/SIM card needed.

4G = LTE = Related to GSM = not CDMA = needs a UICC/SIM card.

If you want real help, go to their Facebook page, you'll get someone who works there that really knows what they are talking about..... Just give them the name on the account and the last 3 of your phone number and they'll be able to do stuff on their end.

Thanks for the tip about the Facebook page. Who would have guessed that was where the real support is? I left a post there and got a call back about an hour later and after 2 minutes on the phone with the person that called me back my phone was reactivated and 4G instantly lit up! They said that the over the air activation never completed the first time...as the smart people here suggested.

Now I have it rooted and removed the safe to remove apps/bloatware and hopefully the rest of my experience in the new to me world of budget phones and budget carries goes moderately smoothly. I am coming from Sprint service where I would drop calls 2-3 times per 15 minute phone call and regularly not receive texts sent from people and had dial up data speed on the 3g network all for $120/month so as long as Metro lives up to that experience I'll be happy for $70/month savings

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip about the Facebook page. Who would have guessed that was where the real support is? I left a post there and got a call back about an hour later and after 2 minutes on the phone with the person that called me back my phone was reactivated and 4G instantly lit up! They said that the over the air activation never completed the first time...as the smart people here suggested.

Now I have it rooted and removed the safe to remove apps/bloatware and hopefully the rest of my experience in the new to me world of budget phones and budget carries goes moderately smoothly. I am coming from Sprint service where I would drop calls 2-3 times per 15 minute phone call and regularly not receive texts sent from people and had dial up data speed on the 3g network all for $120/month so as long as Metro lives up to that experience I'll be happy for $70/month savings

Welcome to the prepaid side :D Any questions, we are here to help!

Upvote 0
Well I just called MetroPCS for about the 12th time on this issue. This time the guy I spoke to said that the EV network is the same as the 4G and some phones say EV in the network bar and some say 4G but it's the same thing.

I really think metro should just do a simple test before hiring employees. If they do they need a more extensive training program

Upvote 0
I really think they should just offer on line chat on their website like every other company on earth. It's 2013! get with the program. Although it would probably be the same useless people on chat

They may very well BE useful for all I know.

I can't determine that because unfortunately, I am not conversationally proficient in Klingon nor they in Engleese.

Bruce in Ocala, FL :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones