• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A/C Vent holder + phone = to cold?

I live in South Florida, it's hot 75% of the year here and the humidity is just as bad. I just got the cheap $1.99 vent mount for my EVO and love it but I noticed with direct vent exposure the screen tends to fog up and the battery temps drop as expected. Now is there any major issue with this? Will I see any problems down the road with the screen or internals because of the condonsation? I've since closed off the vent that holds the phone and it seems to be working but I kinda liked seeing low low battery temps and was just wondering... :)

I also mount mine on the A/C (I live in Eastern NC so I know all about heat and humidity during the summer.) I've yet to notice any issues from the moisture. I do however give my EVO a second or two to warm up before immediately opening the door into the heat. Something about moving hardware from extreme cold to extreme heat doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Upvote 0
dude, you actually doing good to your phone....

Lithium-ion batteries main enemy and culprit is heat.. the more heat the more damage it will do and the less life the battery will have... if you can drop the temps on the battery, it will increase its life and will perform better.

in other words, there is nothing wrong, but good

Upvote 0
And again, yes the cold is fine, but the condensation is very bad. Any moisture will short it out, and probably actuvate the moisture sensors and void the warranty.

This is why I posted the thread. :)

And to the guy who said just turn off the vent.. I drive a 2004 chevrolet colorado not the fanciest vehicle on the market but the best I can do is slide the vent closed but air does still leak out and since the phone is so close it still gets minor effects.

I've been having good results the past few days having the phone up there but the vent slid closed. Seeing around 75 as the normal running temp while mounted. Tried this morning to drop it looooooooow and it got down to 55 and I decided thats enough and slowly brought it back up to a normal temp. It's kinda fun, I mean i've got insurance so if it really gets f'ed i'll just do the old "I dunno where it went trick" and pay the $100 for a new one. Odds are by what everyones saying i'll be fine. Thanks.

Upvote 0
And again, yes the cold is fine, but the condensation is very bad. Any moisture will short it out, and probably actuvate the moisture sensors and void the warranty.
which will bring us to the next step

WHY?

the driver has the change to turn the fan speed down, and turn the AC temp up a bit. it doesnt need to be on MAX A/C all the time... i can see it for the first 10 minutes of driving, but after the temp inside the cabin drops, u can easily put it on 1 and work with temp

or he has to much humidity inside the vehicle....

BESIDES, lets take a look at how condensation really forms... Condensation forms when water molecules in relatively warm air come into contact with a cold surface. As the molecules cool down, they begin to move about more slowly and draw closer together. If they are cooled down enough, they begin to stick together -- they no longer have the energy to overcome their natural attraction for one another.

so if the OP recycles the air inside the cabin which is already cool, he should not be getting any condensation at all

Upvote 0
Okay, so I have the reverse question. I've been thinking about getting some sort of vent holder for my phone, but I live in MN. It's really cold here and I can't imagine closing a vent that was within reach of my while driving when it's 20 or more degrees below zero. Do you think a vent holder plus heat out of the vents will be a problem?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones