• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

olbriar

Jun 19, 2010
Land of Oz
I'm considering joining AAA and thought I would ask if anyone has the service and or have an opinion on the service?

I have two motives for wanting / needing a service such as AAA. First and utmost, my wife and daughter are planning on traveling to Arizona this summer by auto. It concerns me that I'll be of zero help if they should have any auto problem on their trip. I certainly don't anticipate a problem but they are beyond precious to me. It seems that a road service plan would be good insurance and give me some peace of mind. Secondly I ride an expensive bicycle that I can't repair a flat away from home or push the bike miles to get it home. I'm not the sort that trusts leaving two and a half grand parked on the road as I walk miles to get home, put my bike rack on my truck, and go get my bike if it should still be there. AAA has bike tow service with their plans.

One of my buddies suggest AAA to solve my problems. He has the service and says it's genuine and has proven to be a value to him. I would appreciate and respect the opinions of my friends here. Thanks in advance.

One of my Christmas gifts every year from my parents is the renewal of my AAA membership. When I was younger I rolled my eyes at this, however when I have needed it 3 times in my life traveling, it's an absolute life saver.

I have 3 very long stories were it was a must have. 2 tire blow outs and 1 were my engine blew up. All 3 times after I called assistance was there within 30 minutes or so. Both tire blow outs the guys changed my tire and got me on my way. When my engine blew up, dude towed me from Iuka, MS to Memphis, TN.

I highly recommend the Gold membership. It used to offer unlimited free towing miles, but it my understanding that has changed to 100 miles. You can also get discounts at hotels if you have AAA.

The fact that I'm typing out a post longer than 3 sentences tells you how much I believe in AAA and HIGHLY recommend it.

I don't have their auto insurance so I can't comment on that.

Upvote 0
And when you call for service the people actually speak clear English, which is important when you're stressed the F out when your car breaks down on the side of Interstate. It's not someone from India who says their name is "Bob."

I swear every time I call a place and the Indian person says their name is "Bob", I say if your name is Bob my name is Ahmed. They go excuse me Sir, I say, oh nothing "Bob" let's get what's going to be a very frustrating call for me out of the way.

Upvote 0
I'm extremely hard of hearing and ignored the problem decades before addressing it. I lost some of the ability to understand speech. I hear someone speaking but often lose the conversation especially without the ability to see the person speaking. I require crisply enunciated English to stand a chance of communicating over a phone. English speaking representatives are an important perk for me.

Upvote 0
I might as well add my two cents. I've never heard anything bad about AAA,

I had Sears/Allstate Roadside Assistance for many years. I only had to use them once for a jump in the winter.

Currently, I have Good Sam Roadside Assistance which covers my car & trailer. I haven't had to use them.

Upvote 0
I might as well add my two cents. I've never heard anything bad about AAA,

I had Sears/Allstate Roadside Assistance for many years. I only had to use them once for a jump in the winter.

Currently, I have Good Sam Roadside Assistance which covers my car & trailer. I haven't had to use them.
I had Good Sam for a while, but let it lapse.

Upvote 0
Here one of the equivalent organisations is just called the "Automobile Association". Back in the 70s and early 80s they and their main rival (the "Royal Automobile Club" or RAC) used to provide little plates with their logos which members could attach to their cars to advertise their membership. I remember an American visitor being extremely confused that people were driving around with the initials "AA" on their cars, as (a) they didn't think Alcoholics Anonymous membership was something you'd announce to the world, and (b) there seemed to be rather a lot of them...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones