Activesync maxes out CPU on Exchange ServerSupport

Last Updated:

1. Overclocker

Overclocker New Member This Topic's Starter

Fellas:
    I'm a server/network monkey at a small college in Ohio. I have a strange problem with one of our user's Android phones. As soon as I connect it to our Exchange 2007 server, the server CPU utilization goes up to 90-95% as it attempts to service the flood of rpc requests. Continuously. For hours and hours, only stopping about 20 minutes after I delete the users account from the phone. This makes for several hundred unhappy Outlook and webmail users. Mail access to Exchange is not hard to set up! There is very little that can go wrong on the user end! I'm very confused. What's going wrong?!?!?!?

Here are the specifics of the phone:

Model: Ally
    Firmware: 2.1-update1 (There appear to be no new updates.)
    Baseband: VS740MV7.5210.1013
    Kernel: 2.6.26lge@android-build#2
    Build: ERE27
    SW version: VS740ZV8

If this is in the wrong forum, please forgive me. This seems to be more of an Activesync issue than a problem with the specific model.

Thanks!

Tim

Advertisement
  2. anthgav

anthgav Well-Known Member

The only thing that I can think of to suggest is to try setting it up with a different email app from the Android market as opposed to the default email client on the phone. Install K-9 email app which is free and try it with that, I am pretty sure it supports Exchange. See if you have better results.

3. jamesnmandy

jamesnmandy Well-Known Member

i dont think its that...its probably something set up in exchange server.....are certificates configured correctly?

4. death2all110

death2all110 VIP Member VIP Member

There have been known issues with the Ally and exchange servers. but i dont use exchange so i don't know if it was fixed in the v8 update like it was supposed to be.

5. Overclocker

I've got a bunch of users with Android phones using Activesync and this is the only one with issues. Wouldn't that rule out a server-side config problem?

6. Overclocker

I'm almost to that point; using another app. I'm also going to try setting up Activesync with a test user and see what happens.

I would really like to understand why this is happening because this one client is basically DOSing our Exchange server using the default setup.

7. anthgav

anthgav Well-Known Member

Keep us posted on how you get on. For your information there are a couple of Exchange Active Sync apps called Exchange Touchdown & RoadSync that provides a demo which you will be able to use for testing purposes from the Market.

8. jamesnmandy

jamesnmandy Well-Known Member

i would say yes

i use mine with exchange and have no issues, which is why i felt that way