• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Activesync maxes out CPU on Exchange Server

Overclocker

Lurker
Sep 16, 2010
Fellas:
I'm a server/network monkey at a small college in Ohio. I have a strange problem with one of our user's Android phones. As soon as I connect it to our Exchange 2007 server, the server CPU utilization goes up to 90-95% as it attempts to service the flood of rpc requests. Continuously. For hours and hours, only stopping about 20 minutes after I delete the users account from the phone. This makes for several hundred unhappy Outlook and webmail users. Mail access to Exchange is not hard to set up! There is very little that can go wrong on the user end! I'm very confused. What's going wrong?!?!?!?

Here are the specifics of the phone:

Model: Ally
Firmware: 2.1-update1 (There appear to be no new updates.)
Baseband: VS740MV7.5210.1013
Kernel: 2.6.26lge@android-build#2
Build: ERE27
SW version: VS740ZV8

If this is in the wrong forum, please forgive me. This seems to be more of an Activesync issue than a problem with the specific model.

Thanks!

Tim

The only thing that I can think of to suggest is to try setting it up with a different email app from the Android market as opposed to the default email client on the phone. Install K-9 email app which is free and try it with that, I am pretty sure it supports Exchange. See if you have better results.

I'm almost to that point; using another app. I'm also going to try setting up Activesync with a test user and see what happens.

I would really like to understand why this is happening because this one client is basically DOSing our Exchange server using the default setup.

Upvote 0
I'm almost to that point; using another app. I'm also going to try setting up Activesync with a test user and see what happens.

I would really like to understand why this is happening because this one client is basically DOSing our Exchange server using the default setup.

Keep us posted on how you get on. For your information there are a couple of Exchange Active Sync apps called Exchange Touchdown & RoadSync that provides a demo which you will be able to use for testing purposes from the Market.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones