• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 1.5 vs 2.1 data use

hemster

Lurker
Jun 22, 2010
I recently bought a Backflip from AT&T. Two days ago, the HTC android phone was released. I went to the store to switch phones (I am well withi 30 days). The guys at the store told me one huge disadvantage of the HTC is that it runs 2.1. I have the 200 mb data plan per month. The salseman told me that the HTC is always searching the interned and is sucking away my data. He told me that I would go way past my 200 mb allowed. He also told me when the Backflip can upgrade to 2.1, do not upgrade due to data use issues.

I have searched all over the internet trying to see if this is true, and can find nothing. Does 2.1 use more data that 1.5? Would it be a big issue?

Thank you.

yes and no...as in all things...

I have 2.1, yes it keeps a persistant data connection up all the time IF (big IF) you leave syncronise enabled with Google calender, contacts etc.
I turn off sync once i'm happy everything is upto date as I dont use log in to my google account.

I qualify my comment by saying i work for a mobile carrier and effectively my data is free but i can track it. With no sync on, it doesnt use anything i dont ask it to (maps, browser etc)

CHeers!

Upvote 0
The sales person is talking complete rubbish. I have an HTC Hero which originally had Android 1.5 on it and now has Android 2.1 on it and the data use is exactly the same both versions do background syncs (which is not very much data at all, max 500 kb per day).

I also have a 200mb /month plan and it is perfectly adequate. The background data is minimal I just make sure that if I am streaming media or something I use Wi-Fi. I use 3G watchdog to monitor my data usage and in 6 months, 200mb /month has never been a problem.

I qualify my comment by having a 200 mb /month limit and having used Android 1.5 and 2.1.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones