• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Version Debate: Vanilla Ice Cream Sandwich vs Touchwiz vs HTC Sense

Any applications require it? No

Unless there are features you require in ICS there's is no reason to choose ICS over Gingerbread right now, choosing an inferior phone because the software is newer is stupid especially when you know ICS will be rolled out in the coming months to most phones.

Exactly. The idea that a new OS revision obsoletes all previous releases is laughable. I can see the hardcore fangirls getting upset, but the reality is most people don't care. Witness the people still buying the iphone 3GS.

Reactions: Stuntman
Upvote 0
Most the users here probably couldn't name five improvements ICS provides, some would probably struggle naming one. :D

I've been trying to find out what ICS has that Gingerbread doesn't that would really matter to me. So far, I haven't been able to find any and some people I have asked haven't been able to name any for me either.

Most of the new ICS features I know of are more like window dressing than anything else. The only features I found were that were not window dressing are resizable widgets and face unlock which I feel I could do without.

Upvote 0
Some of the ICS updates:

1. Hardware acceleration finally works by default
2. Browser actually syncs chrome bookmarks
3. Updated camera
4. Folders, drag and drop
5. Resizeable widgets
6. Dismiss a notification by swiping
7. Face unlock
8. Instant voice to text
9. Overall UI improvements

Need more? Phones that aren't nexus wont have all of this for months. The nexus s that came out over a year ago already has ICS...

Upvote 0
Some of the ICS updates:

1. Hardware acceleration finally works by default
2. Browser actually syncs chrome bookmarks
3. Updated camera
4. Folders, drag and drop
5. Resizeable widgets
6. Dismiss a notification by swiping
7. Face unlock
8. Instant voice to text

Need more? Phones that aren't nexus wont have all of this for months. The nexus s that came out over a year ago already has ICS...

There is no hardware acceration for the UI, I tried one when it was launched and it's no smoother than the gingerbread launcher, if you want hardware acceleration you need touchwiz 4. :p

Samsung camera software is better as is the camera and I don't use chrome. resizable widgets is from honeycomb, I don't use it on my tablet so I doubt I will on my phone.

Face unlock gets annoying really fast, I would never use voice to text and yes the UI is a little different, theres one new feature there I like but I can wait, besides I have unlimited data.

Upvote 0
There is no hardware acceration for the UI...if you want hardware acceleration you need touchwiz 4.
But then you have to put up with friggin' Touchwiz - not a good trade-off to me.

Samsung camera software is better...
How? ICS camera is pretty good.

Bottom line for me is while ICS is a terrific and worthwhile update, I've got a decent phone now so I can wait a bit. When developers have had some time to update and debug apps for ICS and a compelling phone running vanilla ICS is available (the Nexus ain't it for me) then I'll make the jump.

Upvote 0
Some of the ICS updates:

3. Updated camera

It's worth pointing out that Sense devices had a superior camera app and a slicker UI prior to ICS.

As for face unlock, it's effectively useless if it can be fooled with a photo.

Upvote 0
It's worth pointing out that Sense devices had a superior camera app and a slicker UI prior to ICS.

As for face unlock, it's effectively useless if it can be fooled with a photo.
I don't know if I agree that Sense had a superior camera app and a slicker UI. For one the Sense camera app had no panoramic mode, among other short comings.

I have the Evo 4G and Evo 3D. I think the judgement is very subjective, and I really don't like sense because it is far too bloated and buggy. In fact I wiped away the Sense functions on my Evo devices.

But it's a personal call. If you liked it, great, but I think many others will agree the ICS features are superior.

Upvote 0
I don't know if I agree that Sense had a superior camera app and a slicker UI. For one the Sense camera app had no panoramic mode, among other short comings.

Fair point, I was thinking compared to stock gingerbread.

I have the Evo 4G and Evo 3D. I think the judgement is very subjective, and I really don't like sense because it is far too bloated and buggy. In fact I wiped away the Sense functions on my Evo devices.

*shrug* no issues with my Incredible S, and many of the additions over gingerbread are worthwhile to me - especially the keyboard and mail client.

But it's a personal call. If you liked it, great, but I think many others will agree the ICS features are superior.

Over stock gingerbread? Other than that stupid google search bar, absolutely. To Sense? Still true, but to a lesser degree in my opinion.

Upvote 0
But then you have to put up with friggin' Touchwiz - not a good trade-off to me.

How? ICS camera is pretty good.

Bottom line for me is while ICS is a terrific and worthwhile update, I've got a decent phone now so I can wait a bit. When developers have had some time to update and debug apps for ICS and a compelling phone running vanilla ICS is available (the Nexus ain't it for me) then I'll make the jump.

I like Touchwiz. :)

Samsungs camera software has always been feature heavy with allot of options, the camera software in ICS is good, A nice improvement for sure over the crap you get with honeycomb.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones