• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Anyone have light leakage problems?

just push the bottom of the screen in along the bottom and it goes away. i just worked mine with 2 thumbs at the bottom edge and its gone

I've only found this to be a temporary fix. It will work for a few minutes, but eventually the light leakage creeps back through.

To me, this is a major issue. You spend this much money on a phone and the least you hope is for simple things like that to not be an issue. It makes the phone look cheap.

Upvote 0
I got the Sprint Body Glove case, and the leakage shows up even through that.....it's pretty bad below the home button for me.

I'd like to try to get it replaced at the RS I bought from, but I'm worried that they may not consider the issue big/important enough or try to give me shit about it.

I also don't think they will get more EVO's in until next Friday. The most frustrating part about it is that I feel like I am basically holding a rental phone right now, I can customize it how I want, but all of that will go away if I do get it replaced =/.

Upvote 0
I'm having a similar problem I noticed as soon as the rep at RS turned my phone on. Im not getting leakage from the lights under the buttons, but right above the menu button, my lcd screen is really bright. I would say its about 25% brighter than the rest of the screen. It didn't bother me yesterday, but today its getting annoying. I downloaded a screen tester, and when the screen is full white at highest setting, it is very noticable. I'm going to the sprint store later for an exchange, although i doubt they have any extras...

Upvote 0
I looked at mine again in total darkness this time and I do see the slightest bit of light seeping out between the glass and the phones frame below my home and menu keys I wouldn't really call it a defect every phone is going to have some minor mfg. variation somewhere. As long as the phone functions good I would ignore it because the next one you get could be in some way worse. How about you strip naked and post a picture of yourself here and we will do a "poll" to see how many here think all your parts are perfect? ;)

Upvote 0
yeah, I have light leakage too & has gotten worse. Also, today the lower icon light go off & on depending on how I tilt the phone. Sometimes I have to tap the phone & they will pop on. Went to get groceries this morning & in the daylight I saw a bunch of dust on the screen, wiped it off to find it is under the screen (top left side just below the htc icon). I thought htc made quality phones. This is worse worse than the Palm Pre in my opinion.

Upvote 0
yeah, I have light leakage too & has gotten worse. Also, today the lower icon light go off & on depending on how I tilt the phone. Sometimes I have to tap the phone & they will pop on. Went to get groceries this morning & in the daylight I saw a bunch of dust on the screen, wiped it off to find it is under the screen (top left side just below the htc icon). I thought htc made quality phones. This is worse worse than the Palm Pre in my opinion.

I understand your frustration but to say it's worse than the Pre is going pretty far. The Pre was a real POS.

Upvote 0
I am really eager to compare phones with some other Evo owners in person to see if all those people who don't notice the light leakeage are for real and to see how different the individual phones are. For me it's pretty significant. The light leaks from the area of the softkeys upwards into the bottom of the display screen above the four softkeys. So whatever is on the screen on the bottom of my display has streaks of light illuminating it. This is especially noticeable when the screen is white, black or any solid color.

Upvote 0

The dust thing was happening on the Incredible's also.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones